Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 PM

185 posts, read 173,945 times

Advertisements

All of my life I have been active , I played baseball all my life , soccer when I was a kid football as a teenager . But winters I would always pack on weight I had a horrible diet growing up . After baseball ended for me when I was 18 I just laid around playing video games and eating fast chips and soda , I was around 255 pounds .
I was finally tired of it and said it was time to make a change I got extremely strict with my eating and I did Sean t 25 home workouts 3x through and have gone halfway through p90x3 I'm down between 200-210 now everyone says I'm extremely lean and look very good I'm also tall 6'3.
However my body has been the same for about a year now , it won't change and I've grown bored of the same old home workout and just being lean body ( can tell by looking at me I workout and take care of my body and wasn't just born skinny ).

I have been trying for months and months to talk myself into getting into a gym , I wanna lose / tighten the last little bit of flab and extra skin left on my lower stomach and get bigger arms and just overall be more muscular lean and tighter stomach , however I know not a single thing on the gym . I went for a few work about 4 years ago just did whatever machine I knew and wasted my time .

My main reason is I'm afraid because I have no clue what to do I'll look stupid and be embarrassed in front of all these jacked individuals .

What can I do to start learning the gym and be conpfortsble going there with a 4-5 day workout plan to get shredded up and overcome the fear of going . It's not a lazy issue , I put in the work 6-7 days a week p90x3 or cardio but just afraid of learning something overwelming and not knowing what to do and where to begin .

Sorry for the wall of text , any tips and ideas and workout plans would be greatly appreciated .

FYI: telling me to just go and figure it out doesn't help me , I'm easily discouraged and if I go and feel I look stupid or wasting my time I'll leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 04:46 AM

480 posts, read 622,870 times
You could hire a PT or just learn as you go with some video instruction. Bodybuilding.com has tons of info , videos, workout routines etc. My wife has been doing some of there routines and is new to weight training. She prints out the routines every week and takes them to the gym. If you're not sure about how to do a certain lift, watch a video to know proper form.

Good luck and happy training!

Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
I agree with the above poster. Hired a Personal Trainer for a few sessions. All those "jacked" individuals all started like you once--everyone at first doesn't know what they are suppose to do. I am sure if you just call the Gym they have a list of Personal Trainers they can recommend.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:46 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,582 times
I started with a trainer so that I could learn correct form for most key exercises like the squat and deadlift. I suggest you do the same.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:03 AM

185 posts, read 173,945 times
Thank you for the advice . I think that is what I will do .

Just to get a base down . I want to be able to go 4-5 days a week do a different muscle group each day and have maybe 5-6 machines or moves to do each day

Old 05-02-2016, 07:05 AM

857 posts, read 843,156 times
Just my personal advice, find a local Crossfit box and go for the baseline and then a few workouts after that. Best decision I made about 2 years ago switching from a traditional gym... Love the level of intensity, community and the non-traditional atmosphere.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Just my personal advice, find a local Crossfit box and go for the baseline and then a few workouts after that. Best decision I made about 2 years ago switching from a traditional gym... Love the level of intensity, community and the non-traditional atmosphere.
I enjoy that, and the people there are usually welcoming. It isn't for everyone and there are valid criticisms of CF, though, and it isn't the panacea that some make it to be.

Working with a trainer for a month to get a good routine going wouldn't be a bad idea, as was suggested upthread.

And, don't be intimidated by the gym. I think you'll find that most people there look not so different from you (or cross section of the public.)

Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 AM

4,847 posts, read 2,663,915 times
Quote:
My main reason is I'm afraid because I have no clue what to do I'll look stupid and be embarrassed in front of all these jacked individuals .
whaaaat?...trust me, those 'jacked individuals' ain't looking at you..they ain't looking at nobody except themselves in the wall mirror....trust me..btw, I go to gym every other day. just get started and then it willbecome routine in short order...learn different things as ya go..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
It doesn't really matter if the jacked individuals are actually looking at the OP or not. He feels self-conscious, and that is a hard enemy to overcome.

I agree with the trainer approach. Most specialize with beginners and can teach you to properly use the equipment so you don't get injured and can see results.

A crossfit box would be a varsity-level step to me since they usually have their own "personalities," and trying to break into that community atmosphere can make those self-conscious feelings even worse.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,410 times
No matter what you do in the future - if you're not sure of your form, and unfamiliar with what you want out of a gym, it is really nice to have someone show you the ropes. Hire a trainer for 4-6 sessions, and you'll probably be feeling much more confident about how to move around and get your workout done. Plus, it never hurts to have someone checking your form now and again - even after years of doing something perfectly, little things can slip in (always use to have my shoulders up, but lately I tend to lean back).

Also - I've been to plenty of gyms, and only a few people there would really qualify as 'jacked'. Most folks are just normal people trying to get a little exercise in, and do not have the bodies of fitness models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness