Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:18 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphasic9 View Post
I'm chagrined to admit that I used to have the same arrogance -- and ignorance -- as the OP. I enjoyed running, thrilled in the feeling of pushing myself to do something that was sometimes difficult, and smugly looked down at the non-running population as simply too lazy to exercise.

Ironically, it was running that provided the first harbinger that I had developed MS. For a few years I'd sometimes stumble or my leg would go numb, but I chalked it up to the normal cost of running. Then I fell hard, three times in a single week, and I started on the long diagnostic path that eventually found me with this disease.

A few years have passed since then. I can't even walk in a straight line, and I couldn't run even if I were literally afire. Fortunately, I discovered swimming as an alternative, and while I don't love it as much as I did running, it sure beats doing nothing.

Moreover, I've gained a new sense of humility. I've learned the hard way that many folks are stoically carrying a heavy load, and often their burden is not visible to the casual observer. And in becoming less judgmental of others, life's become brighter for me too. So lighten up, judge less, and go run while you can.
Great story, I am very sorry you had to go through that.

However, I do not look down on people who don't run, though I do question why overweight people who are of a young age claim they can't run, but continue to eat Dorito's and Mountain Dew for lunch. That's where my beef begins and ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 PM

34 posts, read 82,551 times
It sounds like you are striving to keep yourself in shape, and that's great. Continue to be that good example, and who knows, you might inspire some others to follow in your footsteps.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:37 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,227,493 times
for women with large breasts it is painful to run, even with a sports bra. there are plenty of other ways to exercise and keep in shape. also running causes harm to joints, I work in healthcare, and there are healthier ways to exercise than running.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:49 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
I spent five years in the Army running two miles almost every day.

I *can* run. I just flat-out *refuse* to. I only did it then cuz the Army said I had to, I don't have to now.

Basically, nowadays, I will only run in event of an extreme emergency (and that better mean somebody's in the process of getting killed.)

Old 05-11-2016, 01:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
I try to exercise regularly, but I just got started a few months ago, and I find that low impact exercises are good for me right now. A decent exercise bike and an old LifeStyler CardioFit are the two machines that I'm currently using (the latter really kicks the heartrate up!), and I also have a ski machine that I plan on repairing and getting into the mix.

I'm a 53 year old male and not a small person. Running is probably not optimal for me. I don't have any back or joint issues yet, and I would like to keep it that way. Besides, my current focus is on basic cardio, not running a marathon.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
"I can't run" is probably a euphemistic way to respond "Mind your own business". Kind of like "I can't make it" is a gentler way to say "Nope, don't want to go to your party."

Old 05-11-2016, 02:20 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I am referring to people who say they are incapable of running, typically because they hate it, or they say they don't have the endurance, or don't enjoy it.
That's all the reason you need. What methods of exercise people choose is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. What part of this are you not understanding?

Quote:
However, I do not look down on people who don't run
Your posts in this thread prove otherwise. You should go back and read them.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
I once saw an elderly man probably around 85 out on the streets trying to run like he thought he was 20 again, he looked like he was about to fall down and break his hip or something?

he was barley able to go 2 miles per hour the way he was struggling, there is a time when people are just too old to be running, it's much safer to go for a walk than risk injuring yourself trying to prove something.

some people like me can do 30 pull ups, can you do 30 pull ups? why not? are you weak?

Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM

294 posts, read 337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I have three torn ligaments in my left ankle. No, I can't run.

I would say nothing. Maybe they have a legit reason? And hating it is a legit reason, btw.

You don't have to say anything to them. Really.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 PM

855 posts, read 624,572 times
Quote:
So I run, on occasion, and I don't get any particular enjoyment from the actual act of running, but rather the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. I run because I know I should exercise, because I know it's good for you, not because I like doing it, but I like the way it makes me feel. I may have it easier than others, I've had a naturally slim/athletic frame for my whole life.

I have friends who detest running, but it may as well be exercise in general. They say they "can't run" or some other convenient excuses. I go on a running trail near my house, and I see people of all shapes, sizes, and ages running. Sometimes even the noticeably overweight people put out a good pace when running and do go great distances. So where does this mantra that people use to say they just "can't run" come from? Is it just mental doubt holding them back? I understand it may be more physically difficult for people of certain shapes or sizes. Could some people share their experiences with motivating friends or family members perhaps and how you have seen people overcome this?
I prefer walking as it's less stress on the joints.

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness