Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 11:36 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I have three torn ligaments in my left ankle. No, I can't run.

I would say nothing. Maybe they have a legit reason? And hating it is a legit reason, btw.
Similar here. Had a stage accident in 2009 which took me out of running......which is probably a good thing given knee and hip replacements.

So I bike, dance, swim, and lift weights.

I'm hardly a slothy couch potato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 04:01 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
"I can't run" is probably a euphemistic way to respond "Mind your own business". Kind of like "I can't make it" is a gentler way to say "Nope, don't want to go to your party."
Nope, you're wrong. It's not as if I'm asking random people in my personal life this, these are all people I know well, on a personal level.

The mind your own business bit is only coming from people on here, because they are strangers and will say whatever they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's all the reason you need. What methods of exercise people choose is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. What part of this are you not understanding?

Your posts in this thread prove otherwise. You should go back and read them.
Yeah? Provide those posts for me, because I've reread them and am not sure what you're referring to. You can infer what you will from my posts, I think they're pretty clear.

The problem is the same people saying they "can't run" also don't do any other kind of exercise either, all this coming from someone who is grossly overweight.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
To everyone on here who has a medically related reason on why they can't run, I am not referring to you. I am referring to people who say they are incapable of running, typically because they hate it, or they say they don't have the endurance, or don't enjoy it.

And these reasons are perfectly fine. Just because you can push yourself to run even though you hate it, doesn't mean that someone else can or wants to. As I said before, 'hating it' is a perfectly good reason to not run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I spent five years in the Army running two miles almost every day.

I *can* run. I just flat-out *refuse* to. I only did it then cuz the Army said I had to, I don't have to now.

Basically, nowadays, I will only run in event of an extreme emergency (and that better mean somebody's in the process of getting killed.)
Yeah I was forced to run in the military - and even if I could run today, I wouldn't. And no 'motivation' from the OP or anyone else would change my mind.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 AM

445 posts, read 770,428 times
In my opinion the majority of people who say they cant run are simply lazy, or dont care enough to even try. For sure some people have legit medical issues such as bad joints etc.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:58 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Nope, you're wrong. It's not as if I'm asking random people in my personal life this, these are all people I know well, on a personal level.

The mind your own business bit is only coming from people on here, because they are strangers and will say whatever they want.
My statement definitely (and usually) applies to people you know well. Not sure why you assumed anything about strangers.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
"What do you say to people who say, "I can't run"?"

Nothing. It's none of my business what they do/don't do. (I'm a runner, BTW).

Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM

509 posts, read 554,249 times
Ran all the time in my "younger" days; even won medals and trophies.

Now my knees and ankles are shot and I maintain monthly doctor's appointments for my back. This along with various pain killers will continue for the rest of my life. Knee or hip replacement are only about a decade in my future.

Running is not good for you, it's hard on the joints. I wish someone had steered me to a different sport, such as swimming, when I was younger.

Many people "Can't" run, and even if they can, they possibly shouldn't.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
The problem is the same people saying they "can't run" also don't do any other kind of exercise either, all this coming from someone who is grossly overweight.
This is so typical of C-D; someone posts an incomplete OP, leaving out crucial info, then 10 or 15 pages later, they complete their thought, changing the picture significantly.

So this isn't a rant about people who say they can't run; it's a rant about people who are overweight and don't exercise more generally, making excuses for themselves. That's a very different topic from what you originally posted.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:

The mind your own business bit is only coming from people on here, because they are strangers and will say whatever they want...
Thumbs up for this.

It's surprising to me how many people came from that angle in their responses, or otherwise inferred the worst possible attitude from your posts. Well, arguing on the internet is popular entertainment

For an obese person, I'm not sure taking up running would be a good idea.

"Gotta walk before you can run", right?

I've gently tried to talk such a person into walking to work, rather than driving, since it would only take 15 minutes max.

No luck

Excuses include: "I shop after work" (Everyday? Bring a back pack, the grocery store is near work)

"I don't want to be sweaty" (It's downhill to work, and this is Alaska!)

The simple truth is that it would be uncomfortable for this person, both physically and psychologically, and the sad irony is that walking would probably be the best thing for overcoming both of these conditions.

Oh well, there's got to be some will coming from them, obviously, or it can't happen.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is so typical of C-D; someone posts an incomplete OP, leaving out crucial info, then 10 or 15 pages later, they complete their thought, changing the picture significantly.

So this isn't a rant about people who say they can't run; it's a rant about people who are overweight and don't exercise more generally, making excuses for themselves. That's a very different topic from what you originally posted.
Ruth speaks the truth! ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness