Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,673,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
I hate it when this one guy at the gym always runs up to spot me when I'm deadlifting.

I'm like, ok Lance, I get it, you're really concerned about my safety...

LOL at the ninja spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 01:13 PM

10,324 posts, read 10,578,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
The guy that uses two different machines simultaneously during prime time.

Unlike 90% of the people at the gym that zone out and stare at the wall, or some butt, between sets, I like to bring something to read between sets. This is just incomprehensible to some guys and they have to ask me if I am done with the machine when I am sitting on it reading between sets.
Nothing wrong with reading between sets. It is incomprehensible to sit on a machine or any piece of equipment and read between sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
If you can read between sets, you're not working out hard enough.
Not working out hard enough for what? If you're lifting heavy and maxing out on every set, how quickly do you do your next set? I've often carried a magazine around with me, and read short (or even long) articles in the 60 to 90 seconds between sets.

I don't sit on the machine or bench between sets. I've had people work in with me on bench presses. They either use the same weight, or add or subtract plates for their sets.

There are some exercises like pullups where I need more rest between sets or my number of reps goes down significantly.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:32 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,202,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Nothing wrong with reading between sets. It is incomprehensible to sit on a machine or any piece of equipment and read between sets.

I don't sit on the machine or bench between sets. I've had people work in with me on bench presses. They either use the same weight, or add or subtract plates for their sets.
Depends on how the gym is laid out, etc.... but in many situations if you do anything other than sit on the machine you are in someone else's path.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:26 PM

10,324 posts, read 10,578,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Depends on how the gym is laid out, etc.... but in many situations if you do anything other than sit on the machine you are in someone else's path.
That must be a tiny gym! I remember a few Nautilus gyms like this around 35 years ago. They were designed strictly for circuit training, and a workout would be completed in under 20 minutes. You did one set per machine unless it had two different exercises, and then immediately moved to the next machine. Some gyms had trainers who would set you weights and seat positions.

This was actually a very effective program for many people who wanted a quick total body workout.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:10 PM

96 posts, read 78,038 times
The people that sit on the machines/benches between sets drive me nuts. I don't mean those that rest for 60-90 seconds. I mean those that appear to be watching an entire episode of GoT or something between sets. And, they always do it on the machine that my gym only has ONE of. The leg press, the hamstring machine, etc. And when they finally look up to see you waiting there (because you can't just talk to them because they also have headphones in and music blaring), they're all like "oh, were you waiting? Sorry, I just have 3 more sets." SO ANNOYING!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 PM

232 posts, read 631,057 times
Prime hours and some guy and his wife/girlfriend play "claimsies" on the very limited number of stairsteppers by putting their waterbottle on the step of two stairsteppers while they are on the treadmill. I don't really use the stairstepper, but I went ahead and moved one of the waterbottles out of my way and used one of the stairsteppers they claimed. You're either using it. Or you're not.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:56 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,620,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh look, yet another gripe thread about people's behavior at public gyms As if we don't have enough of those already. I don't understand it. If going to the gym is such a PITA that OP can't handle other people's obnoxious behavior, work out at home rather than start a thread about it, because they aren't going to change.
You know something I actually like you and I was hoping that you as well as many of the other members who have contributed would have seen beyond that point. My
thread isn't just about pet peevs. It is about going a little farther and maybe have a little humor along the way while bringing up some true realities about gyms that exist today and did not exist back in the day. That is why my tone was a little different and it has brought some interesting stories that I had never heard before.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 PM

480 posts, read 619,873 times
I thought the circus was in town today..

I'm doing rope crunches at the end if my workout when this clown who just walked in the gym gets on the low cable row next to me. He puts it on 80lbs, does about 5 reps and let's the weight stack slam down like he's cranked out on redbull or something???

I did one more set and went upstairs for some cardio. I watched this clown do set after set glancing at arm to arm while he's pulling that girly weight and letting it slam at the end of each set.

I'm not sure who more to blame though, cause the management at my Golds gym doesn't educate idiots like this on properly using our equipment. Aside from a few signs posted here and there they just don't give a ****.

I was actually looking around to see if someone was filming another gym fails video, cause this kind of joker would be a good laugh. Slamming the weights and playing air guitar in between sets like he was on Crack or something?

Other than that, I do love my gym, it is my sanctuary!

Aloha

Old 05-26-2016, 06:10 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,620,098 times
A few years ago I saw a guy put like six plates on each side of the olympic bar on one of the bech press benches and I was shocked because I had never seen anybody bench that king of weight there before so I stood there and patiently waited for him to finish getting the bar ready and wanted to watch him do that set of bench press and then without even laying on the bench and under the bar he proceeded to rotate the bar in place a few times while standing as in how you do trying to prepare your grip and then he proceeded to remove all the plates. I was like" what the hell"?. I will never forget that.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 AM

22,237 posts, read 29,263,795 times
People stay away from me because I have bytch resting face. Fine with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness