Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 01:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to preface my post by saying thanks for the tips in my last topic about dealing with knee pain.

In my 20s, I focused mostly on cardio with strength training as a minor activity. I am now in my 40s and really enjoy lifting weights. Since I have limited amount of time, I don't rest too much between sets. (I guess 10-15 seconds).

I've read online that you get difference results based on resting patterns. Longer rest times = great for strength building. The though process is that you'd have more energy to lift bigger amounts of weight. Shorter rest times = great for endurance, which is great for fat loss since the constant movement can be considered aerobic and also stimulates the heart.

My goal is to increase strength and build muscle. But I do like the aerobic bonus when I take less rest. My heartrate is still going. I can't say for certain that I'd lift more weight if I had more rest, as my lifting capacity does increase over time. However, ultimately given my goal, should I rest longer between sets?

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Yes. I'd shoot for at least a minute and preferably 2-3. If that makes your workout too long, you're doing too much volume (# of sets). Alternatively, if you can do another set in 15 seconds, you're potentially not lifting heavy enough.

What program are you following?

Old 05-17-2016, 01:42 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
10-15 seconds is really short. If you're going for strength building I would (like L2DB) say that you are potentially short changing yourself and that at least one minute is more where the rest time should be, etc. L2DB pretty much said it.

If you lift more weight, your heart will get going faster and stay going for longer - not over a minute but still.

Best of luck

Old 05-17-2016, 01:43 PM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
2-3 minutes. I rest 3 minutes (when doing heavy lifts, e.g., squats, deadlifts, bench) and it's amazing how much difference it makes vs. say resting half of that time. You do lift more weight and/or if doing say sets with the same weight, you can complete the set vs. having to pop smoke early. There is of course a basic explanation/proof that rest makes a difference - have to let those muscle fibers (specifically Type IIb fast-twitch - used for lifting heavy weights) recover. They fatigue fast and need a decent time to recover; 2-3 mins. is just right IMO. Read up on the three muscle fiber types, what activities they are used for, etc. and you will understand recovery times needed for each type.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:11 PM

Thanks guys, very informative.
My program consists of 3 sets of 10, 3 days per week. I work lower and upper body and my workouts are 30-40 minutes for strength and the other 30 for cardio. I do sets of ten because years ago I remember my trainer saying 10 was the "magic number". I try to do controlled movements with each set, not three quick ones and then off to the next machine. I have also increased the weight as my body allows.

I've been noticing some definition, particularly in the biceps/shoulders area. The saggy "middle aged woman's triceps" are starting to firm up. But like I said, my goal is definitely increased strength, mass, and endurance. While I like the metabolism rev, I don't want my workout to be circuit training, lol.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:16 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body: Michael Matthews: 9781938895296: Amazon.com: Books

IMO. Get on a solid program and your strength gains will be much quicker.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:02 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Back in time when I was moving over 40 tons worth of weights per session 4 times a week, I did 1 minute rests. Interestingly, my mind ever since is like a stop watch - I count seconds the very moment I stop doing exercise.
But now I do 30 seconds. For once, it's time limit, I am very limited on time allotted for 5am gym session. Also, it came from what I found to be the best exercise approach and I trust it. They have longer rests in that programm too, but not for what I do. They have shorter too, but it's mostly for shaping. The burns outs.
From my by now almost more than 30 years in the gym perspective, I do agree that longer rest comes with heavier exercise, geared towards muscle mass build.
Unfortunately, in a common gym, it also comes with blocking say a machine for ineffective use. JUst an observation.
OP, what you can also do is falcon breathing. It's a regenerative breathing, restoring your energy very fast.
It's done very simply. Stand straight. Look ahead of you. raise arms straight shoulder level and to the sides.
Abruptly, bring your arms together, with a slight palms touch (no need to slap loud) while INHALING same time. It is very counter-intuitive but takes only few breaths to acquire.
Back to breath form.
1. Quick arms together, inhaling
2. slow arms open to initial position, exhaling.
3. keep breathing like this through your rest cycle.
You might be surprised. Takes me about 15 of such breaths to start feeling more energized. I was trimming about 600 lf of hedge this Saturday and had to do most of it in one run. By the time I got to the rear hedge, I was beat up totally, it's a tall 8 ft hedge that had to be topped and sided.
So I did falcon breathing and, like I said - it got much better and I finished the job.
Distance walkers can employ this to "catch the second breath".

Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Shorter rest times = great for endurance, which is great for fat loss since the constant movement can be considered aerobic and also stimulates the heart.

My goal is to increase strength and build muscle. But I do like the aerobic bonus when I take less rest. My heartrate is still going. I can't say for certain that I'd lift more weight if I had more rest, as my lifting capacity does increase over time. However, ultimately given my goal, should I rest longer between sets?
Your mistake is thinking you get an aerobic bonus from lifting weights. "Great for endurance, which is great for fat loss" is not really a true statement. Lift weights to build strength. Run, swim, bike, etc. for aerobic exercise. Yes, there are times in the gym when I'm breathing hard but unless you're training for some type of specific reason, you're better off getting your aerobic exercise elsewhere. Attempting to do both takes away from your strength workout. If I don't rest enough between sets, I sacrifice reps or amount of weight I can lift. I feel it more on some exercises more than others. I seem to need the most rest between sets of pullups.

Quote:
My program consists of 3 sets of 10, 3 days per week. I work lower and upper body and my workouts are 30-40 minutes for strength and the other 30 for cardio. I do sets of ten because years ago I remember my trainer saying 10 was the "magic number". I try to do controlled movements with each set, not three quick ones and then off to the next machine. I have also increased the weight as my body allows.
There is no magic number of reps. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this topic. Most experienced lifters tend to agree that lower reps, five and under, are best for building strength. Most lifters don't do more than 12 reps on a regular basis.

The biggest mistake most women make is not lifting heavy enough. I see too many women, especially ones over 40, who just appear to be going through the motions. They do 10 to 20 reps of an insanely light weight and think they are exercising. You need to constantly be increasing the weight you lift.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your mistake is thinking you get an aerobic bonus from lifting weights. "Great for endurance, which is great for fat loss" is not really a true statement. Lift weights to build strength. Run, swim, bike, etc. for aerobic exercise. Yes, there are times in the gym when I'm breathing hard but unless you're training for some type of specific reason, you're better off getting your aerobic exercise elsewhere. Attempting to do both takes away from your strength workout. If I don't rest enough between sets, I sacrifice reps or amount of weight I can lift. I feel it more on some exercises more than others. I seem to need the most rest between sets of pullups.

There is no magic number of reps. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this topic. Most experienced lifters tend to agree that lower reps, five and under, are best for building strength. Most lifters don't do more than 12 reps on a regular basis.

The biggest mistake most women make is not lifting heavy enough. I see too many women, especially ones over 40, who just appear to be going through the motions. They do 10 to 20 reps of an insanely light weight and think they are exercising. You need to constantly be increasing the weight you lift.
Yes thanks I know but I'm not one of those women who goes through the motions and I don't play around. I do increase the weight based on my strength. I'm past the 10 lb dumb dells. Just to be clear I'm not using weight training as a substitute for cardio or weight loss for that matter. My goal is strength. However when I was losing weight, adding strength training did ultimately make a difference. As a working mom I only have 3 to 4 days at any given time so I need to work with that. I do an hour each day and I have to shoehorn the cardio in. I'd love to not bother with the cardio at all but it has its place. I find myself very passionate about weights now in mid life and just need a bit of guidance. My body thankfully responds very well to training so like I said I just need the guidance. On my own with no trainer I make strides week after week but I want to make sure I am doing things right.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:

I've been noticing some definition, particularly in the biceps/shoulders area. The saggy "middle aged woman's triceps" are starting to firm up. But like I said, my goal is definitely increased strength, mass, and endurance. While I like the metabolism rev, I don't want my workout to be circuit training, lol.
What exercises are you doing?

Also, I realize the "magic number" has been addressed, and if you are happy with what your trainer has recommended for you by all means keep doing it. But if you are training for strength don't be afraid to reprogram a little, depending on the lifts you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness