Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:50 AM

9,333 posts, read 6,872,771 times

Advertisements

Lol my planet fitness has up to 75 pound dumbells a squat rack and flat benches as well as curl bars. Yes tons or cardio tons of machines cables and core areas. But I use them all.

I think people like to hate in them but have never been inside a legit one.

Black card for $20 a month with unlimited guest hydro massages and thumbs up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:08 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,162,512 times
I almost signed up for PF, until they told me that I had to give them my bank acct number for direct withdrawals -- they would not accept a credit card. I don't like giving out my bank number, particularly to somebody in an industry where cyber security is an unknown factor and the person in charge of taking info for applications changes every other month. Also, my PF didn't have enough lockers or showers, and there isn't anyone strutting around playing Incredible Hulk at my current gym anyway. The atmosphere was not any different.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 AM

11,190 posts, read 9,001,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I almost signed up for PF, until they told me that I had to give them my bank acct number for direct withdrawals -- they would not accept a credit card. I don't like giving out my bank number, particularly to somebody in an industry where cyber security is an unknown factor and the person in charge of taking info for applications changes every other month. Also, my PF didn't have enough lockers or showers, and there isn't anyone strutting around playing Incredible Hulk at my current gym anyway. The atmosphere was not any different.
Yeah that would be a big no no for me too. I would never give my bank info to any retailer or gym. They need to accept credit card or i walk. I also like signing a month to month contract.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:11 AM

247 posts, read 196,537 times
I joined PF when I lived in California and loved it. Mix of people, new and clean machines, and the lowest priced gym in the area.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,312,808 times
No squat racks = not the gym for me.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:07 PM

1,386 posts, read 986,613 times
Daily show did a very funny bit on PF:

https://youtu.be/SbK3wWpWNto

--

Old 01-30-2017, 06:41 PM

10,284 posts, read 8,443,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Wouldn't go there if you paid me.

They apparently have a free pizza night once a week and I can't imagine working out at a gym that offers this.

Though I suppose if you love pizza the $10 a month fee is a dirt cheap way to eat pizza 4 times a month.
I don't like planet fitness as they seem to cater to non serious workout people. The kind that hog a machine while they do 100 reps with no weight and think they are working out.
But. . . . I do like pizza and $2.50 a week for a pizza fix might be worth it just for that while I work out at my other gym.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,674,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lol my planet fitness has up to 75 pound dumbells a squat rack and flat benches as well as curl bars. Yes tons or cardio tons of machines cables and core areas. But I use them all.

I think people like to hate in them but have never been inside a legit one.

Black card for $20 a month with unlimited guest hydro massages and thumbs up.
My gym also has hydro massage beds, and I honestly didn't think it was all that great. It just felt like someone was pushing water on me.

As for Planet Fitness I have been in one but never a member. It didn't appeal to me, to small. I like a gym that has a lot of room and options of machines to choose from. But PF is cheap and has pizza parties....wooo!

Old 02-01-2017, 10:43 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,801,221 times
I joined PF today. I am getting in on the Silver Sneakers program covered through my health insurance so there is no separate charge to me. I considered our YMCA but it is farther from my house and I thought it would not be as convenient and I would not go as often. The trainer was very helpful and offered a lot of advice but I hope that I can remember it. I am afraid of injuries and that is my main concern as I really would like to have a trainer watching over me the whole time but know that PF doesn't do that. I have been doing elliptical at home for close to a year. My main goals are to maintain strength and not gain weight and control my waistline. Upper body would be great as well. This PF is rather large and has many rooms The locker area and showers seemed small but I probably will do as I will come dressed for workout and leave and shower at home. The YMCA did have classes which I would have enjoyed and do have a pool. Just didn't think I would get as much benefit from it. We shall see. I did read the contract very carefully and will not let them continue to charge Humana if I am not going anymore.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:01 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,890,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I joined PF today. I am getting in on the Silver Sneakers program covered through my health insurance so there is no separate charge to me.
My dad mentioned to me the other day that he has Silver Sneakers, through MVP. He's 77 and used to be quite active in his younger days - ran track and x-country in high school, square dancing with my mom, and bicycling in his 40's and 50's.

There is a PF location only 5 minutes away from him. I would love it if he could get the Black Card membership, that way I could work out over there too, on his guest pass. I only have the Basic, so I am limited to one club.

So, if he were to sign up under SS, how does that work? I would like to pass that info on to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness