Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:41 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

I want to start my gym membership at LA Fitness but I dont want to spend all that money and not know how to use the machines. I want to do a lot of compound workouts. But I'm afraid if I don't know what I'm doing I could injure myself. So I asked LA Fitness if they could help me with my technique for a week or two. They said they only do yearly packages at $200 per month. But I don't need a babysister. As soon as I have the proper techniques I can take it from there. And as I'm sure you guys know, I'm not allowed to bring a personal trainer to any gym to help me out.

What should I do?

What do people do when starting out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
You have to realize that globo-type gyms like LA Fitness, NY/Washington Sports Clubs, Gold's etc. have a particular business model in order to make a profit. Selling as many memberships to as many people as possible is what makes them work/thrive. Along with that go these type of contractual obligations; read up on Vic Tanny's - the gym that was the granddaddy of this type of business and you will understand that these places do not have your best interests in mind but rather simply look to increase their revenue streams. On the other hand, machines are inherently safe - that's why they were made in the first place. So it's not hard to figure out how to properly use one. The problem however is machines do very little for you in terms of true fitness. It takes a lot longer than a week or two to get your techniques worked out for certain free weight lifts, i.e. deadlift, snatch, clean, jerk, etc. What is your ultimate goal? Just to go into a typical gym, hit a few machines and put a check box in the 'I worked out' category, get truly fit, or just increase muscle mass? My personal recommendation, if you are truly looking to get more fit - not just more fit looking, is to check out a local Crossfit box. I know that may not be for everyone, but I personally cannot say enough good things about that type of a workout. Highly recommend reading Learning to Breathe Fire as well; will help you understand a few gym/fitness related things. Also, there is great coaching at Crossfit boxes that you seem to be looking for, aaaand its much cheaper than paying for personal training sessions if you really do the math.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
I'd recommend against that as it's a good way to get injured (the Crossfit philosophy in general of AMRAP, more complex movement patterns than necessary, etc. - I'm not saying there aren't good coaches that know their lifts at Crossfit gyms).

I'd probably just watch a couple youtube videos and be hyper-cognizent of form. And just start with the bar only and progress up in weights very slowly until you get your form down. (If you're a woman and the bar alone is too heavy still for basic form repetitions, then I'm not sure what to suggest. I guess at that point, use the machines to build some basic strength and then switch over to free weights.)

Alternatively, you could see if you can find a smaller gym and do a week trial period with a trainer there.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I'd recommend against that as it's a good way to get injured (the Crossfit philosophy in general of AMRAP, more complex movement patterns than necessary, etc. - I'm not saying there aren't good coaches that know their lifts at Crossfit gyms).

I'd probably just watch a couple youtube videos and be hyper-cognizent of form. And just start with the bar only and progress up in weights very slowly until you get your form down. (If you're a woman and the bar alone is too heavy still for basic form repetitions, then I'm not sure what to suggest. I guess at that point, use the machines to build some basic strength and then switch over to free weights.)

Alternatively, you could see if you can find a smaller gym and do a week trial period with a trainer there.

People get injured when they do not know what they are doing. There is inherent risk in everything we do. Stating that doing Crossfit leads to unreasonable injuries is saying those people who injure themselves doing it cannot understand their strengths, proper form, scaling, etc. hence it is up to each and every one of us to know our strengths and limitations and work with those accordingly. Playing sports is dangerous, yet we (or at least some of us) do it and accept the risks that come from that activity. How is Crossfit different? Doing everything very safely in life leads to no productive results. Hate to beat the same drum over and over but machines truly do nothing for you aside from providing a very safe yet ineffective way of 'exercising.'

P.S. On the topic of good coaches. Yes, some may be more experienced than others but even for someone who is inexperienced and shows up at a Crossfit box for the first time, they are built up using no to light weight, learning the proper form first. Never have I seen any coaches pushing people to increase the weight, past their capabilities, while sacrificing proper form. This is a widely talked about topic by those with very little knowledge of Crossfit.

I guess it just boils down to one's goals like I mentioned earlier. Is it just to put a check in the 'I worked out' box or to truly push yourself? If that's the latter, Crossfit is the way to go. If mediocrity and doing 15-30 mins on an elliptical are one's thing, then...

Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
People get injured when they do not know what they are doing. There is inherent risk in everything we do. Stating that doing Crossfit leads to unreasonable injuries is saying those people who injure themselves doing it cannot understand their strengths, proper form, scaling, etc. hence it is up to each and every one of us to know our strengths and limitations and work with those accordingly. Playing sports is dangerous, yet we (or at least some of us) do it and accept the risks that come from that activity. How is Crossfit different? Doing everything very safely in life leads to no productive results. Hate to beat the same drum over and over but machines truly do nothing for you aside from providing a very safe yet ineffective way of 'exercising.'

P.S. On the topic of good coaches. Yes, some may be more experienced than others but even for someone who is inexperienced and shows up at a Crossfit box for the first time, they are built up using no to light weight, learning the proper form first. Never have I seen any coaches pushing people to increase the weight, past their capabilities, while sacrificing proper form. This is a widely talked about topic by those with very little knowledge of Crossfit.

I guess it just boils down to one's goals like I mentioned earlier. Is it just to put a check in the 'I worked out' box or to truly push yourself? If that's the latter, Crossfit is the way to go. If mediocrity and doing 15-30 mins on an elliptical are one's thing, then...
Who said anything about machines or doing the elliptical?

Does CrossFit Work? | Muscle For Life

I'll just leave this different viewpoint here (with sources) and people can read it or not and do with it what they want.

And this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/cr...d-and-the-ugly

Last edited by L2DB; 05-24-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 AM

7,166 posts, read 9,216,704 times
OP. Just a suggestion. Go at this from the other direction. Start by looking for a personal trainer. Decide what you want, how much you are willing to spend. Figure out how many sessions you can afford. While you are interviewing potential trainers ask for gym recommendations.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:

I never go near the ellipticals. I don't even use the machines. I like going to the gym and working out. My friend is a Crossfit addict and that works for her. Everyone is different. She tells me about her workouts and I just think how awful it sounds. But that is me. We are pretty equal fitness wise. Exercise is not one size fits all. And if you get a mediocre trainer at a Crossfit box you better have good health insurance - chances are you are going to hurt yourself.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Who said anything about machines or doing the elliptical?

Does CrossFit Work? | Muscle For Life

I'll just leave this different viewpoint here (with sources) and people can read it or not and do with it what they want.

And this: https://www.t-nation.com/training/cr...d-and-the-ugly
A clearly very one-sided, opinion-based article written by someone who clearly feels butt-hurt by Xfit. Wonder why a lot of the military, EMS, fire, SWAT (LE) agencies started using XFit type workouts. Hmm.

Last edited by MedvedActual; 05-24-2016 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I never go near the ellipticals. I don't even use the machines. I like going to the gym and working out. My friend is a Crossfit addict and that works for her. Everyone is different. She tells me about her workouts and I just think how awful it sounds. But that is me. We are pretty equal fitness wise. Exercise is not one size fits all. And if you get a mediocre trainer at a Crossfit box you better have good health insurance - chances are you are going to hurt yourself.
Fair enough. Just suggested XFit based on my personal experience with it. Whether one has great, good or bad trainers anywhere, it is still up to that person to use common sense and do the exercises in a safe manner with a weight they can handle. One sees plenty of folks in all sorts of gym doing crazy, stupid stuff. I truly do not understand why people harp on the getting hurt part. Sure it is intense, hard and at times you just feel like you may not get through the workout. But I would take that any day vs. just doing the same stuff I have done previously (years of typical weightlifting). Again, just my opinion and throwing out this option as just that - an option. Also, just because one has been doing say XFit for a month or so doesn't propel them within that time into an uber fit universe. Just like everything, it takes time to get into a better shape. Over time, it is my opinion, these folks will be more functionally fit than say their counterparts who started working out at the same time (same initial fitness level) at a traditional gym.

Last edited by MedvedActual; 05-24-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Just suggested XFit based on my personal experience with it. Whether one has great, good or bad trainers anywhere, it is still up to that person to use common sense and do the exercises in a safe manner with a weight they can handle. One sees plenty of folks in all sorts of gym doing crazy, stupid stuff. I truly do not understand why people harp on the getting hurt part. Sure it is intense, hard and at times you just feel like you may not get through the workout. But I would take that any day vs. just doing the same stuff I have done previously (years of typical weightlifting). Again, just my opinion and throwing out this option as just that - an option. Also, just because one has been doing say XFit for a month or so doesn't propel them within that time into an uber fit universe. Just like everything, it takes time to get into a better shape. Over time, it is my opinion, these folks will be more functionally fit than say their counterparts who started working out at the same time (same initial fitness level) at a traditional gym.
Thats for sure!
Just like anything, if you enjoy doing something you will continue. If you hate it you will never do it. There are so many options for people to find what they love, they just need to take the first step.
And of course if one does not push oneself they will never really get fit. I see people doing the same thing day in and day out never changing intensity or moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness