Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 08:44 PM

200 posts, read 285,219 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm looking to hopefully be able to get back into the military. I haven't really been working out over the last few years and really want to get back into it and need to be able to pass a physical fitness test. I've honestly never been good at running in general and could use some advice.

I'm basically looking to run 2 miles in no more than 15 minutes and 54 seconds which is the time limit and hopefully at some point be able to max out on the run by running it in 13 minutes.

Some advice and a good workout plan, routine/regiment would be appreciated. Thanks everyone and best regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 01:55 PM

35 posts, read 28,041 times
I'm happy to help you put a plan together, some questions for you.

1. You mentioned that you haven't really been working out over the last few years. What's the most recent form of physical activity you participated in and what was it?

2. What are your stats age/weight/height

3. Do you have any injuries, health conditions?

4. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

5. Are you a member of a gym?

Old 05-29-2016, 02:55 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
1. Start walking, 20-25 a minutes, 4-5 times a week.

2. After a few weeks, turn a few of those walks into 10-15 minutes of jogging while walking 30-35 minutes on the other days.

3. After 4 weeks of that, start jogging 20-25 minutes 3 to 4 times a week.

Proceed from there and keep slowly increasing time and distance. Make sure you have a comfortable pair of RUNNING shoes and stay well hydrated.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:50 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProffessorZoom View Post
Hi everyone I'm looking to hopefully be able to get back into the military. I haven't really been working out over the last few years and really want to get back into it and need to be able to pass a physical fitness test. I've honestly never been good at running in general and could use some advice.

I'm basically looking to run 2 miles in no more than 15 minutes and 54 seconds which is the time limit and hopefully at some point be able to max out on the run by running it in 13 minutes.

Some advice and a good workout plan, routine/regiment would be appreciated. Thanks everyone and best regards.
That's fairly fast, but if you are relatively young and not in terrible shape (i.e. obese) then it should be do-able if you start and stick with it right away. I would just go tried and true - run a little more every day, slowly, at least 4 days a week, until you can run a few miles (aim for at least 4 total), then mix in some speedwork until you can run the two miles at the right pace. 13 minutes will take a lot more training, I think.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
If all else fails just down copious amounts of Velocity 9 and you'll be good to go.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:23 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProffessorZoom View Post

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide answers to the Five very good questions posted by Longevity100 in post #2 of this thread.

Also, you started this thread almost 5 days ago, if you are serious about your running, you would have gone running at a very very very bare minimum of 4 times since then. What are your current times in the mile? Two mile?

Running is kinda like riding a bicycle or doing pushups - if you want to get better at riding a bicycle, ride more; If you want to be able to do more pushups, do more pushups and do them everyday. If you havent even tried to go running or checking your time since you started this thread, I question just how committed you are to achieving your goal. Heck, you havent even come back to visit this thread and you've already posted other places in the forum. You gotta get out and run dude. Use Nike+ which is GREAT for tracking your distance and time. Very easy to track your results and improvement using it. Its free as well.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
5K Training Plan for Beginner Runners | Shape Magazine

If thats too easy, find another beginner 5k plan online. However, 2 miles in 13 min is a pretty fast pace, so keep your goals realistic.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide answers to the Five very good questions posted by Longevity100 in post #2 of this thread.

Also, you started this thread almost 5 days ago, if you are serious about your running, you would have gone running at a very very very bare minimum of 4 times since then. What are your current times in the mile? Two mile?

Running is kinda like riding a bicycle or doing pushups - if you want to get better at riding a bicycle, ride more; If you want to be able to do more pushups, do more pushups and do them everyday. If you havent even tried to go running or checking your time since you started this thread, I question just how committed you are to achieving your goal. Heck, you havent even come back to visit this thread and you've already posted other places in the forum. You gotta get out and run dude. Use Nike+ which is GREAT for tracking your distance and time. Very easy to track your results and improvement using it. Its free as well.

Running at a very bare min of 4 times in 5 days when you are just getting back into it is a recipe for injury.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:43 PM

200 posts, read 285,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longevity100 View Post
I'm happy to help you put a plan together, some questions for you.

1. You mentioned that you haven't really been working out over the last few years. What's the most recent form of physical activity you participated in and what was it?

2. What are your stats age/weight/height

3. Do you have any injuries, health conditions?

4. What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

5. Are you a member of a gym?
Hi sorry for getting back so late.

1) My most recent physical activity is just the typical moving around day to day.

2) I'm 29/170lbs and I'm 5'9

3) None

4) I try to eat as healthy as possible

5) Not at the moment

Old 06-12-2016, 04:25 PM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
I'm in my 50s, was going to a gym but never ran.

I used the c25K (couch to five k) program - you can download the app to your phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness