Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 PM

596 posts, read 428,328 times

Advertisements

I run after 9pm (once the kids are in bed). I run the same well lit route through a low traffic area. I don't wear any lights or reflective gear...just stick to the side of the road and hop on the sidewalk when the occasional car comes by. No problem, but your area may be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,214,542 times
I either run at 6 AM or 7 AM in the summer or around 3:15 PM on weekdays most of the year.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:05 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I usually run in the afternoon since I usually work seconomy shift. However, hour's over the summer are all over and doing a few doubles. Anyone run outside at midnight?

Any tips? Thinking of going for a run after work tonight.
I almost always run at night and I often go on an abandoned road that has breaks in its paving. So I always carry two very small LED flashlights, one in each hand, that can be turned on instantly with a thumb, if I'm not completely sure of the path just ahead. If you feel safe out alone at night and there is some place like this with no motor traffic, it could be a better place to run. But well-lighted streets that have traffic, might be safer from another kind of danger.

Years ago, I often stayed up almost all night, working on building projects in my workshop. Then, just before dawn, I'd go for a run and then go to bed. My regular job didn't start until afternoon. It worked okay back then, but I'm on a more conventional schedule these days. Those admonitions about not working out or eating just before bedtime, never seemed to have anything to do with me.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:37 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
I tend run at 1PM five days a week... Just works for me, I'm older 54, retired...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone run at odd hours?-dscf2918.jpg  

Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I live in Las Vegas and during the summer, it's just too hot to even think about running during the day. But I see people doing it! Plus the sun is brutal as well. Even in the middle of the night it's still mid 90's. I usually run in the late evening, close to midnight. I like to take a dog too so I have to worry about his paws as well. My dog wears a reflective collar and I recently got one of those headlamps to try. I can see just fine but it's an urban area and I want people to know I am a runner, not anything creepy.

Occasionally I see a coyote or 2 when I am out!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:31 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
I live in Florida, so if I want to jog outside it's almost always sunset or pitch black (unless it's the odd two weeks in december where the temp drops!).

I run on neighborhood streets, not on the sidewalks. I can see the streets better with the streetlights. I have had some gnarly spills on the sidewalks which put that habit to an end. If a car is coming (I run on the opposite side of the road) I just jog up to the grass and wait for it to pass.

I usually don't run with music, or only with one earbud in.

I have never run next to any woods at night (here gators can be lingering) regardless of where I have lived. It's much easier to be abducted/attacked/robbed if you are next to trees or bushes. I always run with a key in my fist, even if my H is home with the door unlocked.

Always make sure SOMEONE knows what time you run and your usual route/distance. My husband knows how far I plan to jog and where, even when we were living states away.

It might seem like overkill, but I was always very safe when I was living alone and I still exercise those practices. Men and women can be attacked (by people, dogs, other wildlife!) so you just never know.

I like to run around 10-11pm. Probably not that odd.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:16 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I live in Las Vegas and during the summer, it's just too hot to even think about running during the day. But I see people doing it! Plus the sun is brutal as well. Even in the middle of the night it's still mid 90's. I usually run in the late evening, close to midnight. I like to take a dog too so I have to worry about his paws as well. My dog wears a reflective collar and I recently got one of those headlamps to try. I can see just fine but it's an urban area and I want people to know I am a runner, not anything creepy.

Occasionally I see a coyote or 2 when I am out!
That's certainly true about needing to pay attention to your dog's paws, when running over some kinds of surfaces. Often, your faithful canine companion will not let you know about sore or bleeding foot-pads, but will just keep going, to not let you down.

There was an accomplished runner who had brought his Labrador to run with him on a cinder track. The dog kept up with him on fast laps, but other than an occasional little whine, gave no sign that his pads were worn down and bleeding, from the sharp little flakes of the cinders. When this runner finally became aware of his dog's distress, he had to leash him up and run alone. The dog went crazy, barking and jumping around, because he wanted to be running with him, despite the pain.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:53 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
As a woman I would not be running at night. I did so briefly when I lived in NC but I ran the track near the hospital. It was well lit and had security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness