Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

Trainer started squats yesterday on that machine with the bar and weights but my knees refused to bend to the proper position. And we all know position is everything when it comes to squats. Tried twice and while I didn't have any pain, the knees were stiff and would not bend any lower. I stopped then because I didn't want to risk an injury. Can do box squats and wall-sits though for some reason, maybe because there is some type of support when the knees are bending at a 90. We ended up just doing the quad extension machine instead, which I don't think does as good a job. Squats work multiple leg areas.

My questions are -
What are the best squat-type exercises for people with knee problems?
Will a knee brace help so that I can use that bar/weight machine (not sure what it's called sorry)?

I know it's a knee problem vs. a lifting problem because the trainer had me squat with just the bar for form and my knees refused to go any further. The bar was light without weight on it.

Arthritis sucks when you are still young and mentally you're able to do the work and you feel pumped and ready to go but your body betrays you :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 12:50 PM

674 posts, read 608,241 times
Have you been positively diagnosed with arthritis? Usually that condition is quite painful and would preclude squatting. (Full disclosure: I am a physical therapist).

Old 06-01-2016, 01:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Have you been positively diagnosed with arthritis? Usually that condition is quite painful and would preclude squatting. (Full disclosure: I am a physical therapist).
Yes. The Xray showed erosion of the cartilage. It's not bone on bone thankfully. Actually I was in excruciating pain before and taking 2400 mg ibuprofen per day for the pain. Amazingly, when I started to work out regularly the pain has become far more manageable. I do not take any painkillers now But I do have stiffness and fatigue and if I sit too long then I'll have pain.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
I have advanced osteoarthritis in one knee, a total knee replacement in the other. I did squats as part of PT following my knee replacement. My physical therapist approved; I did them under the direction of an athletic trainer who wrote his Master's Degree thesis on the squat. There are apparently unlimited variations on the standard squat.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:11 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
When you started with this trainer did you discuss your medical history and what exercises were counter indicated given your medical issues? I learned the hard way that you have to ask that question up front to be sure the trainer has the experience to know what exercises are not suitable based upon your medical history. There are many personal trainers out there that should not be working with individuals with medical issues.

I don't know if squats are a suitable exercise for you or not - but, you might want to discuss with your doctor or a physical therapist if there are any stretching exercises you could do to strengthen the muscles around the knee and that would increase the flexibility of the knee.

Squats might not ever be in your future - but, there may be things you can do to increase the flexibility of your knee.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

My questions are -
Will a knee brace help so that I can use that bar/weight machine (not sure what it's called sorry)?

As a Certified Orthotist, here's word of wisdom:
1. do not do squats. Do reverse leg press machine. You want to do strong quads or ruin your back?
2. knee orthosis will not help. MOF, they all limit range of motion at the knee. Primary goal of those is medio-lateral stabilization of the knee joint, prevention of undesired ROM for ACL/PCL injury or even lack of them, and medial or lateral compartment off loading in case of arthritis grade 2 and up.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Trainer started squats yesterday on that machine with the bar and weights but my knees refused to bend to the proper position. And we all know position is everything when it comes to squats. Tried twice and while I didn't have any pain, the knees were stiff and would not bend any lower. I stopped then because I didn't want to risk an injury. Can do box squats and wall-sits though for some reason, maybe because there is some type of support when the knees are bending at a 90. We ended up just doing the quad extension machine instead, which I don't think does as good a job. Squats work multiple leg areas.

My questions are -

I know it's a knee problem vs. a lifting problem because the trainer had me squat with just the bar for form and my knees refused to go any further. The bar was light without weight on it.

Arthritis sucks when you are still young and mentally you're able to do the work and you feel pumped and ready to go but your body betrays you :/
I'm in a similar situation only my knee problem is mostly due to a torn meniscus and I have mild osteoarthritis. I usually do five sets of squats on leg day. My right knee has slight swelling that causes me to not be able to bend it all the way. I've done squats consistently for over 21 years. I had to lower the weight substantially and work back up. I still can't squat to parallel with the swelling. My knee usually feels better after doing squats. I usually add weight on each set and I'm able to go lower on each successive set. I also do deadlifts, leg presses and leg extensions but the priority in my leg workout is squats.

I don't believe any advice that says squats with proper form are bad for your knees. I'm 61 and have run distance races and done squats since I was 39. My knees are in better shape than most people my age.

I don't believe a knee brace would help me with squats since my problem is the mild swelling. Stretching is important but it will not build strength. I do one leg leg-extensions and leg presses to help build up the strength in my right leg. They are a supplemental exercise not a replacement for squats.

It sound like you are using the Smith machine to do squats. I don't recommend using that machine. You are better off using a barbell in a squat rack. The Smith machine forces you into moving your body in a certain direction. Squats with free weights incorporate balance and allow your body to move naturally. I spent a week at a resort the summer before last and a Smith machine was my only option to do squats. I got by but it was not the same workout.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:14 PM

482 posts, read 623,579 times
I bought a pair of knee sleeves at Big5 sporting goods, about $9 each. They help support the knees a lot while squatting or doing any type of leg exercises. Stretching and warming up are crucial, especially if you have a existing issue with your joints.

Learn to train around your issues/injuries etc. Don't give up!

Old 06-02-2016, 05:52 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
It does sound like a Smith Machine from what the OP describes.

I don't like to use those at all, especially for squats. It really feels unnatural and can make knee pain worse.

The 1 Exercise You Should NEVER Do, And 5 You Should Do All The Time!

Dangerous Exercises - Machines You Should Never Us - Smith Machine - Dangerous Exercises: 9 Machines You Should Never Us - Men's Fitness

When I used to squat I always put on a pair of knee sleeves (Rehband). They offer some support and keep your knees warm.

I haven't squatted though for 6 months ever since I did something bad squatting and hurt my left knee badly (the knee started flaring up again 4 weeks ago). I was doing ass to grass squats but wasn't careful with my form and was leaning forward and putting a lot of stress on my knee ("don't let your knees cross your foot").

I could never fully bend my left knee after that, and like I said it flared up again 4 weeks ago from simply on my knees on the hard floor at work. MRI and Xrays showed no damage and in fact very healthy knees with proper spacing between the bones. So ass to grass isn't necessarily bad for your knees. But ultrasound showed some disturbance in my LCL and the pain and symptoms would seem to confirm this. So I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to squat.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM

482 posts, read 623,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It does sound like a Smith Machine from what the OP describes.

I don't like to use those at all, especially for squats. It really feels unnatural and can make knee pain worse.

The 1 Exercise You Should NEVER Do, And 5 You Should Do All The Time!

Dangerous Exercises - Machines You Should Never Us - Smith Machine - Dangerous Exercises: 9 Machines You Should Never Us - Men's Fitness

When I used to squat I always put on a pair of knee sleeves (Rehband). They offer some support and keep your knees warm.

I haven't squatted though for 6 months ever since I did something bad squatting and hurt my left knee badly (the knee started flaring up again 4 weeks ago). I was doing ass to grass squats but wasn't careful with my form and was leaning forward and putting a lot of stress on my knee ("don't let your knees cross your foot").

I could never fully bend my left knee after that, and like I said it flared up again 4 weeks ago from simply on my knees on the hard floor at work. MRI and Xrays showed no damage and in fact very healthy knees with proper spacing between the bones. So ass to grass isn't necessarily bad for your knees. But ultrasound showed some disturbance in my LCL and the pain and symptoms would seem to confirm this. So I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to squat.
I've experienced that same injury. Mine was a slightly torn miniscus. I rode stationery bike and that helped over time strengthen the knee and my chiropractor told me I possibly broke up the tissue causing the pain. I pay a lot closer attention to my knees , mid 50's now, but back squatting 3 plates for reps with just knee sleves. Never felt better. Avoid surgery at all costs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness