Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this is an odd question, but maybe there's a useful answer out there. I have one leg that is about an inch and a quarter longer than the other. It seems stupid, but I always end up putting my weight on the shorter leg. Over time this has not helped my frame/posture etc.

I want to work on this, but I'm not entirely sure how. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 05:39 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
That is a big difference. Are you sure one leg is actually shorter or is it the result of a curved spine (Scoliosis) that makes it appear shorter because the curvature in the spine is pulling the shorter leg up so that your hips are not level?

If it is due to scoliosis, the exercises will depend upon the shape of the curve in your spine. If your leg is actually shorter (but, your hips are level) a specially made shoe for the shorter leg maybe in order.

In either case your best bet is to see a doctor to determine the exact problem and how to proceed.

I was born with mild scoliosis such that my left leg seemed to be about 1/2 inch shorter when I walked. The muscles in my left side/back over many years got tighter and tighter. I finally got some relief with some stretching exercises I was taught to loosen up the muscles in my left side.

If it is scoliosis, the shape of the curvature will determine the appropriate stretching exercises and would be unique to each individual. If it is truly one leg being shorter than the other a special shoe for the shorter foot may be the answer.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:08 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Thanks for the response. Yes it's a pretty big difference. I think it was from a broken leg I had as a kid. My wife runs an alterations store, and the first couple times she did pants for me was amazed at how they came out looking bad, so she measured the pants and discovered it. (Normally you want the pant legs to be equal.)

So something like standing at attention with feet in place was always uncomfortable, but it seems to have gotten worse recently. I found these that I'll try to see if it helps at all:

Wharton's Simple Solutions | Runner's World

Old 06-05-2016, 09:35 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
OP,

You might want to talk to a doctor about having one pair of custom shoes made with one shoe having a higher heel. Not sure what type of doctor this is called - but, I known a few people who have had custom shoes made to minimize the pain due to one shorter leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness