Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 05:31 PM

421 posts, read 423,040 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cei8...CZxUfkPFeO8Peq

This guy is over 60 years old-middle of sixties...he said he has been doing vegan diet for 5 years.
Do you agree that vegan for all athlete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 10:05 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Can't believe I wasted 17 minutes of my life watching that nonsense. The problems with this are numerous;

- A vegan diet may be one of the most inherently unhealthy diets on the planet. Not a good idea for anyone, much less athletes.

- Humans are not and never were meant to be herbivores. We have been omnivores for our entire history, so he gets that basic fact wrong.

- His recommendation to use fruit post-workout is exceptionally poor. First, fructose (fruit sugar) is far inferior than other sugar/carb sources for glycogen re-synthesis. Second, it can cause stomach upset in some individuals. Third, fruit is a poor source of protein and one would need to eat a very large amount of it to get the protein required post workout. This is all covered extensively in Chapter 9 of Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports, which I reviewed here.

- Ironically enough, he followed up by crapping on the idea of milk as a post workout tool. Well, the science is clear that milk is a great post workout option. See here, here and here.

- This guy really needs to brush up on his biochemistry. The worry about the body pulling calcium out of the bones is easily abated by eating enough calcium. Ironically enough, he preaches a dietary approach that is famous for producing calcium deficiency and guess what is a great source of calcium itself?

Dairy proteins, like the ones found in milk.

- LOL! He actually used the word "detox".

That should cover it for now.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:50 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
I get all my carbs from just fruits and vegetables - Its been working very well for me for the past 15 years; whether I'm in the gym building muscle, or competing in my triathlons/ultra marathons.

Its a very powerful diet.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:46 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
This guy is over 60 years old-middle of sixties...he said he has been doing vegan diet for 5 years.
So far, so good, right? It's working for him.

The 5 vegans I know are all very energetic individuals.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:45 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,461 times
My son has been vegan for years and is one of the most energetic, healthy people. He can run like a machine. I'm not sure if it would work for him if he were trying to be a body builder. But he's definitely an athlete and seems to be working well for him. He's in his mid-20s, so he also has youth on his side.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:16 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
The vast majority of pro athletes are not vegan. They're pro's, it should go without saying that they know that they're doing and what works better than we do.

The vast majority of pro trainers/coaches/etc. are not and do not recommend a vegan diet. They're pro's, it should go without saying that they know that they're doing and what works better than we do.

Bodies are different so things that don't work well for the vast majority can still work ok for a slim minority. That's likely what's happening in this case. Either that or the guy is stretching what's happening to get you tube clicks, which is also pretty likely.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Meh, I'm not going to criticize someone else diet when what they're doing is working for them. Personally, I was mostly vegan for over 20 years (although I wasn't very athletic then). The majority of my diet is still plant-based now, but I do eat eggs and small amounts of meat and fish. Not saying anyone else "should" do the same, but it's how I function best.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:43 AM

140 posts, read 143,198 times
I'm not an athlete, but I do run and I love eating a vegan diet. I've been vegan for 7 years and I am completely healthy. No deficiencies, no medications, no health issues, nothing.

My husband is a new vegan, a little over four months in, and LOVES it. He feels so much better. More energy, no bloating at all, and he is making incredible strength gains in the gym. He looks better than ever too. He says he will never go back.

The World Health Organization says a well-planned vegan diet is healthy for ALL humans at every stage of life, including pregnancy and childhood.

We eat high-carb, low-sodium, low-oils, lowish-fat -- lots of potatoes, beans, lentils, rice, bananas, oatmeal (not the processed oatmeal, but plain whole oats).

Everyone needs to choose the diet they feel best on and perform best on. But a blanket statement like "it is the most unhealthy diet ever" is just nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness