Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 4,146 times

Advertisements

How do you start your routine in the gym? after warm up, should you go heavy workout right away or alternate light to heavy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Heavy bro.

There's a reason why the term "light weight" has negative connotations.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:30 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clover_nev View Post
How do you start your routine in the gym? after warm up, should you go heavy workout right away or alternate light to heavy?
Depending on what I am there to do that day, I dont goof around with light weights first. I go right to the heavy stuff after warmup. This is for both my Crossfit heavy days, and my HIT (High Intensity Training) routines where I train to failure of each exercise by rep 6-8 of each exercise.

But my warmup is probably different that your (or most people's warmup).

Again, depending on what my workout for the day is, my warmup will be on of these:

WARM UP #1

Sampson Stretch
15 Double Unders jump rope
15 empty bar (45 lbs) overhead squat
15 situps
15 pullups
15 squats
15 pushups
15 Good mornings with empty bar (45 lbs)

This is done for three rounds.

WARM UP #2
Vinyasa Sun Salutation A - 10 times
Vinyasa Sun Salutation B - 10 times
10 Minutes double under jump rope

NOTE: The Sun Salutation hits/activates every muscle in the body.

WARM UP #3
30 Minutes of mixed jump rope - doubles, crosses, high knees, etc.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:07 AM

521 posts, read 292,670 times
Unfortunately I'm very moody, I don't have a specific workout as I do what I feel like doing. This is why I don't see much progress also

Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clover_nev View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by "alternate light to heavy," but some serious lifters believe in warming up for each different exercise with a set with very light weight. That is not the same as alternating light to heavy. There is no reason for doing that.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:54 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
I believe warming up is a good idea. It's not a good idea to start lifting cold. Also, many studies show that working out in the 70-85% range is ideal. That's heavy, but it's not that heavy.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by "alternate light to heavy," but some serious lifters believe in warming up for each different exercise with a set with very light weight. That is not the same as alternating light to heavy. There is no reason for doing that.
I've been on some athletic programs in the past that had a waviness aspect to it, where you had light days and heavy days. They justified by giving your body some recovery from the heavy days on the light days, especially since you'll be spending time training for your sport, which is both time and energy consuming.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I believe warming up is a good idea. It's not a good idea to start lifting cold. Also, many studies show that working out in the 70-85% range is ideal. That's heavy, but it's not that heavy.
What I was attempting to say was that some people recommend lifting the first set extremely light, like for example, benching the bar only or maybe up to 30-35% of your 1-rep max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I've been on some athletic programs in the past that had a waviness aspect to it, where you had light days and heavy days. They justified by giving your body some recovery from the heavy days on the light days, especially since you'll be spending time training for your sport, which is both time and energy consuming.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that is what the OP meant when he asked, "after warm up, should you go heavy workout right away or alternate light to heavy?"

Old 06-17-2016, 09:45 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Alternating weight is another way to bypass a plateau for advanced lifters.
Personally, I always do initial set with about 60% weight to get muscles going. 12 reps. I consider that decent warm up.
I ALWAYS start with abs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness