Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:55 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times

Advertisements

Exercise is work, and many of us are not too thrilled about it at times.

Your mind goes through many of its own gymnastics when it comes to exercise.

When you first make up your mind to start an exercise program you are generally excited and committed. Then, it becomes work. You have to get ready, you have to go somewhere (out the door, to the gym), you have to spend time you would rather be doing something else, you start making excuses, I'm tired, I don't feel good, I don't see any progress, it cost too much, and so on. How many times have you seen the gym fill up the first week of January and empty out by mid February?

or

You go for that run, outdoors on on the tread mill, the first 5-10 minutes are such a struggle it seems, physically and mentally. It's seems so easy to just say, screw it! Then you get to 15 minutes and things turn around to, I can do this. Then near the end, almost done, push it, finish strong!

or

You have been going to the gym like clock work for over a year now. You take a couple of days off and suddenly realize, you miss it. You actually look forward to going back. Your body feels cramped and stiff because it hasn't been exercised for a few days. You are tempted to at least go out and walk a mile or two.

It is interesting how we react to exercise both physically and mentally.

What goes through your head before, during and after exercise? How do you get over those 'bumps' when you don't feel like it? How long did it take before exercise was a life style and not a chore? What mental hurdles did you face that caused you to either keep going or to stop exercising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 05:26 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Started at the gym in January of this year-

Before exercise at the gym - I can't wait to get there - hope I beat the spinning class and get there before they take up all the parking spaces.

During my time at the gym - I can't believe I can do (fill in the blank), I was struggling with this exercise last week. Mental note to self- schedule a session with my trainer to give me a few more complex exercises to do.

After leaving the gym I go home and find Amazon has delivered the 40 lb. bag of kitty litter I ordered. I pick it up and carry it into the house. This might not sound exciting to you, but, six months ago I would have needed all my strength to push it up over a 4 inch door sill onto a beach towel so I could drag it across the floor to the room where I store the kitty litter.

It is all the everyday things I can do now that I could not do 6 months ago that keep me going back to the gym 3X's a week.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:10 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Exercise is work, and many of us are not too thrilled about it at times.

Your mind goes through many of its own gymnastics when it comes to exercise.

When you first make up your mind to start an exercise program you are generally excited and committed. Then, it becomes work. You have to get ready, you have to go somewhere (out the door, to the gym), you have to spend time you would rather be doing something else, you start making excuses, I'm tired, I don't feel good, I don't see any progress, it cost too much, and so on. How many times have you seen the gym fill up the first week of January and empty out by mid February?

or

You go for that run, outdoors on on the tread mill, the first 5-10 minutes are such a struggle it seems, physically and mentally. It's seems so easy to just say, screw it! Then you get to 15 minutes and things turn around to, I can do this. Then near the end, almost done, push it, finish strong!

or

You have been going to the gym like clock work for over a year now. You take a couple of days off and suddenly realize, you miss it. You actually look forward to going back. Your body feels cramped and stiff because it hasn't been exercised for a few days. You are tempted to at least go out and walk a mile or two.

It is interesting how we react to exercise both physically and mentally.

What goes through your head before, during and after exercise? How do you get over those 'bumps' when you don't feel like it? How long did it take before exercise was a life style and not a chore? What mental hurdles did you face that caused you to either keep going or to stop exercising?
I started athread recently called When You Are Just Not Feeling It it might shed some light into this subject

Old 06-20-2016, 04:58 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,199 times
I have been wondering this as well and 1Orlando, took a look at your thread as well. I am not one that works out, honestly ever. I was a big athlete in HS, but have not really had a workout routine since (now in my late 20s) aside from golfing occasionally, and going for walks with my dog.

I saw something in your thread Orlando that mentioned changing things up that peak your interest more on days when youre not feeling it and I guess thats what has really prevented me from really getting into something because I honestly have no interest in running or anything at the gym really. When I was in HS it was different because I was on sports teams and of course when youre in HS, those are about the most important things in your life, but overall I am not a competitve person when it comes to sports, especially now because unless youre a pro, theyre outcome means nothing and you can only be looked upon as taking it too seriously if youre too competitive.

So I guess my question or advice is, how the heck do I even get started if nothing peaks my interests? I mean I know its something I should do, but at 27, I still seem to have a pretty good metabolism and am somehow, pretty healthy and tone(ish) so I guess if its not an interest or something I dont have to do, I dont find the motivation to do it and if I do, I dont enjoy it.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:02 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
My attitude toward exercise has changed from being focused on appearance to doing the most with the least amount of exercise.

The reason is that one of the by products of normal metabolism is free radicals. While exercising, it is possible for the body to incur oxidative damage. This type of damage is cumulative much like UV rays. What is the point of being able to run 26 miles when 5 would be enough?

Of course a strong heart, lungs, and toned muscles are essential to living a long life, so you should do something. Talking walks, biking or hiking an hour at moderate intensity is enough to do the trick. Yoga, pilates or stretching is also good.

Now my strategy has shifted to mainly cardio activity. If I train too much it makes me over eat. 1 hour a day is enough.

Last edited by A1eutian; 06-20-2016 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 07:15 PM

4,560 posts, read 5,416,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Exercise is work.............................................. ................,
Not for me. To me, its fun. Its relaxing. Its therapeutic. Its meditative. It can be spiritual. Its stress relieving. It inspires. Its something I look forward to after hard days work. Its what I look forward to on a day off from work. Its sexual fore play when done with your partner. Sure its a workout, but I get a rush by challenging myself to be better than I was before, or to see if/when I make improvements on certain workouts and/or runs.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Honestly, I've been working this regimen since 2003. It's so ingrained in my lifestyle, routine, that interruptions, like vacation! Can sometimes make me disappointed.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:50 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
I ran until I was 40 and aches and pains started coming around, so I turned to a bike and elliptical at that point. I ran cross country in high school to keep in shape for basketball and have always enjoyed cardio workouts. When I started working for a law enforcement agency in '98 I began lifting, because they gave us time during our work week to do it. I really enjoyed it and have kept it up.

I have never thought of working out as a chore, and instead see it as a way to improve my quality of life.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
My working out has become my way of saying F.U. to the chronic health conditions I have.

It's me versus them, and they are losing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2016, 06:41 PM

421 posts, read 423,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My working out has become my way of saying F.U. to the chronic health conditions I have.

It's me versus them, and they are losing.
keep going bro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness