Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 PM

673 posts, read 3,138,682 times

Advertisements

Tonight I went out to different stores to look at treadmills. I know most people say that when you buy one you use it alot right away and then after a little while it sits collecting clothes, etc. I work full time, am also in college taking classes, and I am a mom. I honestly dont have time to go to a gym every night or even every other for that matter. Right now I'm working 10 hours a week minimum overtime at work (they want mandatory 15 but with school they let me do 10) That's why I'm looking for a treadmill. I need something in my house that I can do and still be home with my family or that I can do when my daughter goes to sleep (it will be on the other side of the house). Right now I have the mindset and motivation to lose the weight and try to keep it off.

Anyone have any good advice for treadmills? The best deal I saw tonight was at Sports Authority. They had a Reebok 8700 treadmill originally $1699 marked down to $999 and then with a President's Day special for $799. I really liked this machine ALOT. However, I saw some others that seemed decent too. I dont want to spend over $1000 but I want something decent that will last. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I did look at craigslist in our area for treadmills but the ones that had pictures were horrible and I just didnt seem comfortable from buying a used one on there. Especially if I'm going to put down a couple hundred bucks I want to be sure of what I'm getting.

Last edited by Wi_Girl; 02-16-2008 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,160,895 times
I can't offer suggestions on a brand, but I will give you a suggestion on finding one. Sign up for the freecycle list in your area and ask if someone has one they are tired of dusting. You might just get one for free.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,129,640 times
a local joke among my out of shape friends, these are laundry hangers.
which is what they get used for after they buy them. i would suggest
2nd hand they can be had in abundance.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-17-2008 at 02:21 AM..

Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 AM

268 posts, read 1,156,798 times
First determine how serious you are about buying one (and using one). My advice would be to first read up on the different reviews and decide what kind of features and quality level you want. I used treadmilldoctor.com and treadmill-resource-center.com a lot when I was researching a treadmill for myself. Before my research, I started with looking at treadmills on craigslist and ebay thinking that a used treadmill around $300-$400 would be good enough. I didn't see anything I liked. Then I increased the price range to $700-$800 and started looking at stores like Play It Again Sports, Sports Authority, Costco, and Sears. Then I started reading online reviews and research, and I finally bought from a store that specializes in higer-end fitness equipment and ended spending about $1500 (it was on sale from $2000) on a really nice treadmill that I still enjoy using about 4 times a week after one year of buying it.

My advice is if you are serious about buying one, then buy new because of the warranty. Look for one with a good warranty (mine has liftetime on the frame and motor, and 5 years on electronics and parts). Figure out what features and programs you want and will keep you using it as intended instead of as a clothes hanger. I also went with the orthopedic belt so that it would be easier on my knees. And since I have the space, I went with a non-folding since they are more stable and will have less vibration than a folding. Good luck with your purchase, and I hope you find something you like enough to keep you on track to reach your fitness goals.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,251,777 times
Consumer Reports recently had a product review - recommend reading the article if you can - online or elsewhere. There's a big difference between the "industrial strength" model and a model for home - both in durability and cost.

There are a lot of options (ie TV monitor, pulse/cardiac monitor) that I'd forget about. They only add weight and breakdown. I'd buy something very simple but durable.

Good luck.

Too bad you can't rent one by the month to make sure you really need/want one.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,850,830 times
Have you considered an elliptical machine as well? If the top end of your budget is $1000 you should consider an elliptical machine. They are a bit more durable than treadmills and most companies have excellent warranties. Also, if you'll be working out a home, an elliptical machine will be a bit more quiet than a treadmill and Im sure you daughter would appreciate that if she trying to sleep or do homework.

I at one time considered a treadmill but the prices of quality treadmills were much more than I wanted to spend.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM

170 posts, read 891,565 times
My gym changed to Woodway treadmills about a year and a half ago and they are fantastic. Quieter and really great to run on. They seem to have a "springy" step that makes it easier on your joints when you run. But I'd recommend an elliptical over a treadmill for home use if you are looking for a good workout, better conditioning and more cardio.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:26 PM

74 posts, read 306,462 times
I have a NordicTrack X5 Incline trainer and really love it. It is a treadmill that inclines. The incline provides a great workout. It is an absolute HORROR to move and get through doors however. I just took mine out of storage and had to find a ground floor apartment just to make sure I would have no problems getting the treadmill into my apartment. Like another poster said, I would go with a new treadmill for the warranty and I would look into purchasing an extended warranty.

I know you want a treadmill, but an alternative to a treadmill that I also use and is an excellent workout is a Nordictrack x-country ski machine. It is smaller than a treadmill and cheaper. It takes a bit of skill to use (like learning to ride a bike) but it is one of the better workouts you can get on a home machine. I have had mine for 16 years and still use it. Nordictrack still sells the Pro version (the classic) which is the one I have and highly recommend.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,850,830 times
This link should help you with your search. I am a big fan of Precor's elliptical machines but dont know much about their treadmills.

Treadmill Reviews

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,431,783 times
I have a Horizon T-25. It's ok, but in hindsight I probably should have went with the elliptical instead. A couple of things to remember with treadmills.

1. If you plan on having longer workouts, it's best to get one with a continuous duty motor. A lot of times a company will list the peak HP of the treadmill to make the treadmill appear more powerful. The problem is that the peak HP cannot be sustained for a long time without damaging the motor. I personally would be very wary of buying a treadmill that states it has a HP of 5.0 but is under $1,000. My treadmill has a 1.75 continuous duty motor. I think this is fine if you mostly walk. If you’re going to do a lot of running, a 2.0+ motor would be better for you.

2. Treadmills take up a lot of space and they are probably not a good idea if you are tall and have low ceilings. My treadmill needs the equivalent floor space of a very long twin-sized bed. It probably should have more space but my apartment is very small. I have a folding model but rarely fold it up because I use it too often.

3. Be aware that treadmills can use a whole lot of power. It's generally recommended that you have a dedicated (no other major appliances on it) 20+ amp circuit for the treadmill. I would also recommend using a surge protector with it. Treadmills are vulnerable to power surges.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness