Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 09:54 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times

Advertisements

Seems quite likely to me. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/w...ic-health.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
I definitely agree at least for my body.

My body reacts totally differently between strength training and steady state cardio.

I have pointed out that in the past decade many of the fitness 'experts' recommended shifting away from steady state cardio and do more high intensity exercise instead. Some have even demonized steady state cardio as being terrible for one's body and should never be done.

Even with the same diet, doing long cardio really helps me lose weight and feel better overall than if I just lifted weights. Don't get me wrong I love lifting weights and that is important too to maintain bone density and strength as you age. And once in a while I'll mix it up by doing sprint sessions on the treadmill. But I will never eliminate steady state cardio of doing things like 45 minutes to an hour on the stair climber or walking. My body already knows what the science shows.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:26 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
There are too many 70+yrs old ultra marathoners living nearby for me to discount cardio.

Good for my brain, too.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:37 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
As well rounded exercise regimen consisting of cardio, flexibility and strength training is best. What's the point of being a waifish runner with no muscle mass or strength?

Old 09-14-2019, 11:58 AM

Can’t argue against a well balanced fitness plan.
However, it’s a mistake to assume that thin, fit people are
generally too weak. Too weak for what-Seahawks offensive line?
OK, that’s true.
Also, bulging muscle mass is not necessary to be
quite strong.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Can’t argue against a well balanced fitness plan.
However, it’s a mistake to assume that thin, fit people are
generally too weak. Too weak for what-Seahawks offensive line?
OK, that’s true.
Also, bulging muscle mass is not necessary to be
quite strong.
I have a friend who weighs 140 lbs and does nothing but run. He probably can't even lift his body weight. He hardly has any muscle mass. That's the sort of person I'm talking about. And, yes, not all muscle is created equal. Here's a good article on that topic:

https://www.defrancostraining.com/wh...created-equal/

Old 09-15-2019, 08:59 PM

705 posts, read 506,927 times
I just feel better after I do my cardio. But I mix things up. Mountain bike for at least an hour one day. Do a trail run another day. Then cut and stack firewood or do road repairs on my farm the third day. Then take a whole day off and start over the series again. In between maybe go in a hike or hunt in the woods.
Main thing I do is follow my long time doctors advice....”don’t smoke and don’t stop, then you will rarely see me.”

Old 09-15-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I have a friend who weighs 140 lbs and does nothing but run. He probably can't even lift his body weight. He hardly has any muscle mass. That's the sort of person I'm talking about. And, yes, not all muscle is created equal. Here's a good article on that topic:

https://www.defrancostraining.com/wh...created-equal/
Pull-ups are a good metric but beware of those lean guys whipping out quite a few!

In a HS gym class I supervised a couple times one of several fitness test exercises was pull-ups.
The skinniest guy in probably the entire school did 10, which was more than most guys
much stronger than him. Coincidentally, he was also on XC team.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:17 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
I think the best is cardio and strength training.

I'll never be a cardio queen.

Fifty fifty, meaning 40 mins cardio, and 45 mins lifting = awesome results all the way around.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Pull-ups are a good metric but beware of those lean guys whipping out quite a few!

In a HS gym class I supervised a couple times one of several fitness test exercises was pull-ups.
The skinniest guy in probably the entire school did 10, which was more than most guys
much stronger than him. Coincidentally, he was also on XC team.
Pull ups are one of my staple exercises. I usually do them at least twice a week. Very large men will always have trouble with this exercise. The current deadlift world record holder can only do around 8. He's weighs almost 400 lbs though. Personally, I do more weighted pull ups these days. I recently was able to do 10 with a 45 pound plate. I can do around 25 with no added weight. Doing weighted pull ups is much more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness