Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 01:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 903,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Honestly, it's hard enough for many people just to make it to the gym, much less to allow time before and after - even if they knew what to do. And, most people aren't doing a hard-core workout so they don't need to do a lot of "extra" anyway - if you ARE hard-core then you're likely better educated.

So....hopefully people learn what they need to over time and don't get hurt. But at least they are there...we just don't want to give people credit. They either don't go to they gym or they go but don't warm up...or go but don't cool down. Or they go but don't drink the right sports beverage/water. Or they take too long between sets...or don't lift heavy enough...or don't do interval training like they "should".

How about we do what we want to and let others do the same?
I don't believe anyone has a gun to your head or anyone else's, Renee. I personally don't think a 4%-5% commitment is asking too much and neither do my clients. They also don't want to take a step forward and two steps back. In addition to the fact that they're not paying me to let them do what they want. They actually want me to show them an effective and safe workout routine (sorry, it's my job). This is a forum, Renee. People share ideas. You are welcome to disagree with them. Thank you for your comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 02:08 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,369,796 times
Ive strain a few muscles in my many years of lifting weights; it just happens sometimes when you're lifting hard and heavy. So, yes, anything really heavy, I will do some light stretches and or do a rep of lower weight.

Theres a lot of trial and error involved when it comes to health and fitness.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:36 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,915,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Metalmancpa, sorry to hear about your injury. But it appears you've done a good job on recovery since you'll be doing a half marathon so congrats on that. And unfortunately, most people usually learn about the importance of prepping themselves for exercise and a proper cool down when they're slapped in the face with an injury. Of course there will always be the naysayers with the "I've never had an injury" or what did they do before foam rolling and active stretching (both extremely useless retorts and hardly scientific). It's analogous to people that have land line phones and refuse to recognize the advantage of current technology. I suspect in the next 20 years, we will discover even more effective ways to prevent injuries and train smarter. I prefer not to grasp to one school of thought and put blinders on so as not to appreciate improved ways of doing things. For those that want to expand their horizons, you'll find plenty of resources that will support foam rolling and doing active stretches before exercise that talk about the benefits of breaking down adhesions on muscles and connective tissues, increasing blood flow, and helping with recovery and performance.

Ultimately, the most important thing to me is helping clients obtain their goals (and they can't do that if they're injured). The quickest way for a trainer to be out of business is to have injured clients (no money coming in for them and no new money coming in because who wants to train with someone who injures people).

Have a great weekend.
Please cite those resources coming from peer reviewed journal publications showing the effectiveness of foam rollers in preventing injuries or increasing performance during training or competition.

Do you have a certification from either the ASCM or NSCA or at least an undergrad degree in exercise science? If not, you have no business working as a trainer.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Please cite those resources coming from peer reviewed journal publications showing the effectiveness of foam rollers in preventing injuries or increasing performance during training or competition.

Do you have a certification from either the ASCM or NSCA or at least an undergrad degree in exercise science? If not, you have no business working as a trainer.
Really?! Talk about lazy.

There are thousands. Please go away and stop trolling. I really don't have time for nonsense.

https://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/N...d_recovery.pdf

Old 07-02-2016, 03:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,022,940 times
This forum is filled with people who are the only ones in their gym doing it right.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,169,572 times
Maybe I'm not the majority, but I warm up before I go to the gym. My drive is less than 5 minutes, so I think I'm still quite warm when I get there.

I hate traditional gyms as it is, but when I go to one, the last thing I want is to be warming up. My gym is extremely crowded, and I'm there for quick business.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:01 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,511,011 times
Probably isn't the right way but I always do the cardio before I lift so that warms me up so to speak. I could stand to do more flexibility though.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:03 PM

48,566 posts, read 34,949,541 times
My warm up is my cardio. I stretch out my muscles towards the end of lifting.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-02-2016, 04:22 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,915,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Really?! Talk about lazy.

There are thousands. Please go away and stop trolling. I really don't have time for nonsense.

https://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/N...d_recovery.pdf
Specificity of training. Look it up. I applies to warm up just as much as to training.

The main benefits of using foam rollers come after training, not before.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Specificity of training. Look it up. I applies to warm up just as much as to training.

The main benefits of using foam rollers come after training, not before.

You asked for a source and you got it (NSCA no less). We're done (and you're blocked now). As mentioned in the previous posts, I'm not into trolls (or feeding them). Feel free to get into a pissing contest with someone else (especially when so many sources are readily available that corroborate what I'm saying). I don't have the time or the patience for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness