Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 02:33 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times

Advertisements

So I've never been huge into exercising outside of my own personal hobbies... which have been lately nothing but staying home and playing video games.

This has to stop and I've got to push myself out the door. I have a very small gym that I would consider to be very very lacking.

I was wondering what would be the best way to find like minded people who are interested in a gym partner. I'm willing to pay for a proper gym. Should I really just start going to the gym and looking for other people the old fashioned way? Is there a better way or website to look for gym partners?

With social media the way it is nowadays I can't imagine there isn't already some sort of place for this!

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 06:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
I think it'd be best to see if someone you know is interested in improving their health as well and see if you can get them to join you. Or just go and see what happens. Also, if you're worried about it from an accountability standpoint, if you tell people you know that you're starting to go to the gym and eating better, there's some benefit (it works even better if you're training for an event like a Warrior Dash or Spartan Sprint or a 5k or whatever).

You may also want to check this site out as there's a decent community there from what I gather and it may be right up your alley...

www.nerdfitness.com

Old 07-07-2016, 06:49 AM

So I found a workout routine I think I can follow.

Any thoughts on this plan?

AllPro: A Simple Beginner's Routine part V - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Old 07-07-2016, 08:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
I'm assuming you've never lifted before? As a beginner, I'd simplify it even further. Stronglifts will give you a solid foundation and a bunch of gains if you follow it for 4-6 months. Then you can re-evaluate (I like Bigger Leaner Stronger (book) by Michael Matthews). You could also just start on that program if you want.

Here is Stronglifts website: StrongLifts 5x5: The Simplest Workout To Get Stronger

And maybe order BLS and review (the nutrition part will be valuable even if you do SL 5x5).

Then decide from there what you want to do.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 AM

I've lifted before... but for only a few months before quitting. I would consider myself to be very novice.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:18 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
I'd check around at work and see if anyone already works out or is interested in joining you. My old gym partner was a guy I worked with who used a gym near our office. He was happy when I decided to join him as a workout partner. Because we had the same job and schedule it was super convenient. We met at the gym every morning Mon-Fri before work. Having that other person kept us both accountable and it was very rare that either of us missed a workout because we'd give the other person crap if they skipped a morning.

We no longer work together and my workout routine completely fell apart.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:35 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
why not show up at the gym, make friends withh people there so you know they already go to the gym?

Old 07-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I'd check around at work and see if anyone already works out or is interested in joining you. My old gym partner was a guy I worked with who used a gym near our office. He was happy when I decided to join him as a workout partner. Because we had the same job and schedule it was super convenient. We met at the gym every morning Mon-Fri before work. Having that other person kept us both accountable and it was very rare that either of us missed a workout because we'd give the other person crap if they skipped a morning.

We no longer work together and my workout routine completely fell apart.
This right here is what I'm thinking about doing. There are a couple of people here that workout pretty regularly.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
My workout partner is my wife. Back in the day workout buddies were usually same sex but I see a number of mixed couples at our gym. I have been asked to spot the odd bench-press over the last two years but the majority of guys and gals lift without spotters. I think every morning before work a little extreme. M/W/F is pretty much the Gold Standard workout frequency. Our gym is crazy on Mondays for some reason so we do a Wed/Fri/Sun evening schedule which would be difficult to sustain with a non-spouse or domestic partner.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 07-07-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,249 times
Smile Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So I've never been huge into exercising outside of my own personal hobbies... which have been lately nothing but staying home and playing video games.

This has to stop and I've got to push myself out the door. I have a very small gym that I would consider to be very very lacking.

I was wondering what would be the best way to find like minded people who are interested in a gym partner. I'm willing to pay for a proper gym. Should I really just start going to the gym and looking for other people the old fashioned way? Is there a better way or website to look for gym partners?

With social media the way it is nowadays I can't imagine there isn't already some sort of place for this!

Any suggestions?
Yes, I think you should go to the gym and buddy up with someone. Get to know them and both of you can be gym buddies. Good luck :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness