Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times

Advertisements

Compete? In powerlifting? Or bodybuilding? Or what?

I'm 42. Basically, I take rest and recovery more seriously now. I also don't go as nuts as I used to...what for? The other parts of my life (kid, career, house, etc.) are fulfilling and time consuming anyway. I allow a lot more time for warm up, especially the parts of my body tat I know are vulnerable to injury. And I try to maintain a solid diet. Oh, and I mix it up a god amount in terms of what I do for exercise. I used to race road bikes, and when I did, that's the only thing I did. It has to be when you race. I stopped that about 3 yrs ago and now focus on fitness. I care a lot less about how I look and a lot more about how fit I am. That said, I look a lot better than most guys my age. I run, weight train, still do some cycling, and swim occasionally. I try to stay active in between.

physically and athletically, I'm very far from where I used to be, even just a few years ago but I am more fulfilled in other ways. Age is going to happen. Go ahead and fight it but don't be so intense that you let the fight dampen your life.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
I don't feel any different physically at 41 than I did at 31 or 21. I've been weight lifting and exercising fairly intensely since my teen years, and I work out just as intensely now as I did when younger. One thing I have changed about my weight lifting routine is that I no longer do many pressing exercises (bench press, shoulder press) because I have realized that there are more effective and joint-friendly exercises available to target the chest and shoulders. I care more now about protecting my joints and want to avoid unnecessary joint stress and potential joint damage ( particularly to the shoulders -- I used to always strain or aggravate my shoulders doing bench presses and shoulder presses).

The bench press is of no importance to me. I do dumbbell chest work and cable work; I also use machines. For shoulders, I may do partial shoulder presses with lighter weight; I also do shrugs and various shoulder raises performed while lying on a bench. Also front shoulder raises/presses done while lying flat on a bench.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Im 75 and still lift. I run 3 miles per day too. I got to admit I like my afternoon naps but I really dont feel much different than when I was 40.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL, I didn't start weight training until I was 42. You kids these days ...
Exactly. I am 61 - just passed - and am in the gym lifting every other 5am.
I simply do not have time due to work to do more extensive trainings, so I had to cut it down to whatever fits into 40 minutes. But if not, I'd still be doing splits and 4 x week.
Hurting is sort of part of life at this age. There was movie about a kid who became 40 overnight. Like in his father body or something. When asked what it feels like being 40, he said - it's when you wake up in the morning and it still hurts.
OP, you need to sit down and rethink your priorities and goals and diet. The only way I can see WL do this to you is abuse through years. So maybe tone it down a bit to more realistic and adequate level, change diet to easy and light and remove stress out of your life. 40s are very stressful years.
I'd have also done total body cleansing. That does huge positive impact on a body.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:04 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
My 62 yr. old husband did weight lifting on and off ever since we've been married 32 years ago. It's only been since he turned about 45 that he's been on a regular schedule with his workouts. He partially tore a bicep awhile ago and he waited until that healed until he started up again but he altered his routine until he felt that it completely healed. There are times where he doesn't feel like working out but he does it because he says he feels worse physically if he doesn't.

He's not going for the Mr. Universe look though. Do they still have the Mr. Universe contest or am I dating myself??

He just wants to be healthy and fit.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
I'm 45. Almost no barbell work anymore. Haven't done standard bench presses in many years. I use dumbbells almost exclusively now. Also use machines from time to time. Reps are in the medium range. I am more concerned about avoiding injury at my age. No ego lifting any more. Proper form and contraction is more important than trying to max out my lifts. My lower back is a weak point, so almost no squatting anymore, sadly. Leg presses, mainly for quads now. My joints seem more sensitive now at 45, so I have to be careful with my form on all exercises.

Overall, more cardio at my age, slightly less weight training.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
After 40 I started doing all muscle to failure.

Example:

Biceps:

12 reps 8 pounds
10 reps 10 pounds
8 reps 10 pounds
6 reps 15 pounds
24 reps 5 pounds

You adjust your weight but same idea.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:45 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
I'm over 40 and stronger than ever. The only thing that's changed is the intensity and scope of my weight training. It's increased.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Im 75 and still lift. I run 3 miles per day too. I got to admit I like my afternoon naps but I really dont feel much different than when I was 40.
Wow! Hard to believe though that you don't feel different from when you were 40.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
You look anywhere on the net and you get these same type of threads...people are injured and they blame "bad form".

Bottom line is this: you start pushing 300lb+ squats (depending on your frame size), you are asking to be injured. It puts tremendous load on your spine, and it only takes one bad rep to screw up a back, hip, or knee, and then you'll have issues walking, never mind lifting weights.

I weight train myself but I don't see any point pushing beyond 300lb squat. I'm not competing in a powerlifting competition or trying out for the NFL any time soon.

I also have eliminated barbell overhead press. They kill my shoulders and are probably not a healthy shoulder exercise for most people to do, especially over 40. Use dumbells where you at least aren't locked into a range of motion like with a barbell.

Yes, 20 year old bro tough guys will call you a wimp and brag about their 400lb squat. These guys also won't be able to run when they are 40 so don't let it bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness