Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 AM

597 posts, read 660,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This is true also. Running stores are invaluable in helping you choose the proper shoe. When I first started running, I made the mistake of ordering a pair online based on information from Runners World, but without getting fitted first. I got an Asics Gel Nimbus, and although I got the sizing right, they were too cushiony for my taste and made me feel like I was running on pillows. I then went to the running store and the salesperson put me in my Nikes. After that, I have always gone back to a running store when I bought new shoes, because your feet can change over time, and shoe models change as well. Mine have gained 1/2 size. Other advantages to running stores is they have a liberal return policy, and you are supporting a local business.
Yeah, the plan is to go to my local running shop at the end of the week. I got a pair of shoes from them years ago, but haven't been back since. I'm just worried that all they'll insist on super expensive shoes. I'm not trying to be cheap here; not looking for a $60 pair of shoes, but, on the other hand, I really don't want to go over $110 for this pair. There's a lot of good deals online, like Running Warehouse. But, obviously, I can't really know how they'll fit until their sent to me.

I know, I'm overthinking this. I need to go to the running store because I need to get shoes that fit well.

Last edited by goillini8; 07-12-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,028,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
I'm not a graceful runner - don't have long legs, not a long stride, heavy on my feet (even when I'm in shape). Everything I read suggests "motion control" shoe as I'm heavier (5'9" 200 lbs). Any suggestions? Is there anything to these super cushioned shoes I keep reading about?

I know - it's best to go running specialty store and have gait/pronation looked at and have them recommend and I will probably do that at the end of the week. But, just getting some ideas in the meantime.
Yes, absolutely.. Look into the "Brooks Beast" and Nike "Air Durham."

I have terribly flat feet and wear the Brooks Beast exclusively. I'm not 100% sure on the Nike one though because I haven't seen them in stores for a long time - they might not make them any longer. There will be something though if you don't like the Brooks one.

And its not so much that they're super cushioned, but rather they offer stronger support for pronation.

Quote:
Yeah, the plan is to go to my local running shop at the end of the week. I got a pair of shoes from them years ago, but haven't been back since. I'm just worried that all they'll insist on super expensive shoes. I'm not trying to be cheap here; not looking for a $60 pair of shoes, but, on the other hand, I'd like really don't want to go over $110 for this pair.
Unfortunately you will have to pay for them.. Thing is though, since these shoes are made for heavier runners, and/or over pronators, they will last longer than a cheaper pair of shoes that aren't made for people like us.

Once it comes time to get a new pair though, you will know the size and brand, and it will be easier to find deals for them online.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:33 AM

597 posts, read 660,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Yes, absolutely.. Look into the "Brooks Beast" and Nike "Air Durham."

I have terribly flat feet and wear the Brooks Beast exclusively. I'm not 100% sure on the Nike one though because I haven't seen them in stores for a long time - they might not make them any longer. There will be something though if you don't like the Brooks one.

And its not so much that they're super cushioned, but rather they offer stronger support for pronation.

Unfortunately you will have to pay for them.. Thing is though, since these shoes are made for heavier runners, and/or over pronators, they will last longer than a cheaper pair of shoes that aren't made for people like us.

Once it comes time to get a new pair though, you will know the size and brand, and it will be easier to find deals for them online.
Yeah, if I'm serious about this, I should probably just pay whatever necessary for this first pair. Will still, obviously, seek to get the best deal possible, but, won't set a limit (though looking at prices, there seems to be no reason to go over $150.)

My feet aren't totally flat, but arch is pretty low.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
My feet aren't totally flat, but arch is pretty low.
Those Dr Scholls inserts are a lifesaver for me as well.

Like I said, my feet are terribly flat, and while I don't have pain, those make the difference in whether I'm going to have a normal day, and one where my hamstrings seize up and I have to stretch all day. They're only $50 per pair, so maybe give them some thought as well..

Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,878,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
Those Dr Scholls inserts are a lifesaver for me as well.

Like I said, my feet are terribly flat, and while I don't have pain, those make the difference in whether I'm going to have a normal day, and one where my hamstrings seize up and I have to stretch all day. They're only $50 per pair, so maybe give them some thought as well..
I have flat feet as well, and I have the opposite experience of every other flat footed person I've talked to: Arch supports and inserts make my feet and legs ache. If I have nothing at all and minimal built-in support in the shoes, my feet feel fine. I wonder why that is

Old 07-12-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have flat feet as well, and I have the opposite experience of every other flat footed person I've talked to: Arch supports and inserts make my feet and legs ache. If I have nothing at all and minimal built-in support in the shoes, my feet feel fine. I wonder why that is

Flat feet are a strange thing and seem to affect people differently.. When I was in Basic Training in the Army the Drill Sgt asked us on the first day who had flat feet and 4-5 of us raised our hands. He then sent us to the doctor to get checked out, but by the time it was all over with I was the only one who made it through basic.. A couple of them stayed in terrible pain and could barely walk.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:14 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,782,141 times
I swear by these- my knees hurt after every run until I found them:

https://www.on-running.com/en-us

Old 07-12-2016, 05:23 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,008,271 times
I like Saucony. One pair wore funny and I replaced with a new pair, different model and they are fine. Some I know really like Brooks. I always go to the running shop to get fitted.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,021,000 times
Go to a running store and have them fit you.

BlueHerons<------ Asics Gel Nimbus

Old 07-12-2016, 09:38 PM

645 posts, read 745,119 times
Quote:
Yeah, the plan is to go to my local running shop at the end of the week. I got a pair of shoes from them years ago, but haven't been back since. I'm just worried that all they'll insist on super expensive shoes. I'm not trying to be cheap here; not looking for a $60 pair of shoes, but, on the other hand, I really don't want to go over $110 for this pair. There's a lot of good deals online, like Running Warehouse. But, obviously, I can't really know how they'll fit until their sent to me.

I know, I'm overthinking this. I need to go to the running store because I need to get shoes that fit well.

Sometimes the running store has sales on shoes...I bought a good pair for $80 bucks on sale one time. Every time i go in a expect to pay $150 or more....I dont mind it because i have had a previous injury so if it helps to keep me from getting re-injured then i will invest in good shoes. Being a runner is expensive but its so worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness