Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:42 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times

Advertisements

*sigh* I don't know where some of you guys come up with this nonsense.

Whey protein is the best protein you can possibly have. I have used nothing but whey protein as a supplement for years and it's high quality protein that the body can metabolize in massive doses compared to casein or soy protein, which is the worst by far. Except egg protein, that's actually even worse, but I don't think that's general enough to worry about explaining.

You absolutely SHOULD have protein before and after working out, every sports science article and body builder knows that and preaches that. It's not a huge deal if you don't, but if you're looking to build muscle, every edge helps. The muscles can store excess protein for periods of time, so eating protein a bit before a workout is helpful. It increases the bioavailability of those amino acids. After a workout, your muscles are damaged and need to recover, so protein helps with that process. In a general sense, as long as you're getting enough protein per day, you should still be fine. It's not essential when you have it, but it can't hurt, either.

Protein is protein, but there's no reason that quality protein like whey should make you feel bad. That just makes no sense. It's just protein...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 04:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
So, you know better than the OP's gastroenterologist?

There's no possibility that whey protein actually makes the OP bloated and gassy, even "high quality" whey supplements?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 AM

No, there is no possibility that ALL types of protein supplements cause problems for someone. If whey protein was an issue for you -- the highest quality, purest protein -- that would be something I really doubt. IF that's true, great, try casein protein, which is still fairly high quality protein. There's no way you can tell me that someone is just allergic to protein, which contains amino acids, which are the basic building blocks of human life.

By the way, everyone has some dumb story about some dumb doctor. One of my three best friends is a doctor and he knows some real idiots, too. I've had some horrible advice from doctors who simply don't know what they're talking about. I wish people would give up the "well, this person is a doctor, so they're 100% right about everything medically related." No, they're not.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, there is no possibility that ALL types of protein supplements cause problems for someone. If whey protein was an issue for you -- the highest quality, purest protein -- that would be something I really doubt. IF that's true, great, try casein protein, which is still fairly high quality protein. There's no way you can tell me that someone is just allergic to protein, which contains amino acids, which are the basic building blocks of human life.

Sure, but the OP didn't ask "My doc says I can't take whey protein, what other protein supplements should I look at?". They asked about not using protein supplements, at all. That's the question that should be answered, no?

Quote:
By the way, everyone has some dumb story about some dumb doctor. One of my three best friends is a doctor and he knows some real idiots, too. I've had some horrible advice from doctors who simply don't know what they're talking about. I wish people would give up the "well, this person is a doctor, so they're 100% right about everything medically related." No, they're not.
Yes, doctors get it wrong sometimes. That doesn't mean this doctor necessarily has it wrong. Agreed?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:25 PM

I agree with you for sure, and there could be some strange issue for someone with whey protein, though I'm surprised that's not related to a lactose intolerance issue. That would definitely make more sense.

I would be very annoyed if I couldn't have whey protein because it's fairly inexpensive when you buy it in bulk. I just got 145 servings of 24 grams in a huge bag for $109, so well under $1 for each 24 grams. That's fantastic. Although it sometimes makes you second guess something at the grocery store. Thought tonight about getting some beef jerky for $14, realized it had 110 grams of protein, started doing the math... decided no beef jerky lol.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I agree with you for sure, and there could be some strange issue for someone with whey protein, though I'm surprised that's not related to a lactose intolerance issue. That would definitely make more sense...

Yes, it is unusual, for certain. Although, just like you can have a "gluten sensitivity" without actually having Celiac disease, you might could have a sensitivity to dairy without it being serious enough to be labeled/diagnosed as lactose intolerance. Or perhaps, for the OP, the issue with dairy comes from some other component and not lactose sugars.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:42 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yes, it is unusual, for certain. Although, just like you can have a "gluten sensitivity" without actually having Celiac disease, you might could have a sensitivity to dairy without it being serious enough to be labeled/diagnosed as lactose intolerance. Or perhaps, for the OP, the issue with dairy comes from some other component and not lactose sugars.
Not necessarily. If he hasn't been fully tested and his GI just wants him to "cut it out"...he may be affected by whey protein--and potentially casein. Both are dairy based. For me, personally, I have a severe cow's milk allergy..right above a severe whey allergy and a high casein allergy. I hated it, but I had to cut out my protein powders. Granted, that's not normal in most adults, but it does happen. Also, lactose intolerant is completely different from any kind of dairy allergy.

Honestly--he should play with different powders and see how he does. If there is bloat, or overall feeling like crap, then working on getting more lean meats and other protein based foods (you'd be surprised where it can come from in veggies!) into your diet. It CAN be done, it just requires time and patience. Like everything else, there is no "quick fix."

Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
There were body builders and muscley men before supplements existed.

So obviously...it's possible.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:02 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Your GI is not designed to process manufactured foods.
It will not process shakes, mixes, etc. That is not natural food. You take it in and it simply either goes out or collects in GI tract folds, building up plaque.
Remember basic principle to it all - you have predetermined number of muscle fibers. You can NOT grow more of them. You can only make them thicker and stronger and train muscles into doing more work and be more resilient to loads.
I need to ask - male or female? As clearly bodies respond differently.
1. You should not be taking any food or liquid before and after training. MOF, not even during training. You go there to exercise, not to load your stomach. Yeah, what the guy is talking about, everyone says.. Yes, everyone says, but the guy does this since 27 and is now 61 and sort of knows better.
2. Eat foods rich in protein. Tofu btw is another overlooked great product. Fish. But you need to treat fish - not processed one, one YOU cooked from scratch - as mineral water - limited time consumption with breaks, as fish is very rich in minerals and all kinds of things they dump into water. Beans and things of that nature are rich in protein but ANYTHING rich in protein will make you fart, so what can you do?
3. Why do you have gas problems? Was that ever clearly resolved and explained, or they simply put you on GasX? Treat the cause, not the results.
4. Small frequent portions of as natural food as possible, WELL CHEWED, in in easily digestible form will likely greatly reduce GI issue - I've been there - and allow GI to process and extract as much nutrients out of food as possible.
5. Find way to not hold gas inside. Or, you will end with gas pockets in upper intestine corners, causing tons of discomfort, irritating your GI and producing acids, as fart has is mostly H2S and that is used to production of H2SO4.
6. Basic principle is - no processed foods, as natural as possible, small easily digestible frequent foods, no food or drink during gym routine ( pity do I folks that show at the gym with GALLON of whatever toxic color fluid they have in it) or right before and after it, no obstructions to natural bowel movements and function - let it go.
Tofu is made from coagulating soy milk....how is that a "natural food"? I find the irony about "natural food" from vegans and vegetarians eating all manner of tofu imitation meat to be funny.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 PM

Just in general it's very hard to get enough protein without supplements, but of course it can be done. When I say "very hard" I simply mean a pain in the butt. I don't cook, so having to cook insane amounts of chicken on a regular basis or whatever other lean meat I could have would be rather obnoxious. Not impossible, just annoying.

I need around 125-150 grams of protein per day, so getting that from "veggies" isn't going to happen. As it is, having 3 protein shakes per day is annoying enough, but a necessary and worthwhile evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness