Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Okay, folks, lay it on me.

I so wanted to join our local gym this summer. But then I made the decision to go back to school and I just don't know how I'm going to fit it all in. I'm no spring chicken anymore and I'm energetic but I have my limits. I can't see getting up at 5AM to go work out while my husband is still home with the kids, all sleeping, then getting home to shower, get ready for school, go and come home and then deal with the kids coming home, homework and me working from home, and then the housework. Time-wise I could go after the kids got home from school but there would be nobody to watch them and I really don't have the funds for a sitter right now with the school expense. Then my husband doesn't get home until 8:30 and by then I'm good and knackered, really. By then it's all over but the shouting (plus some laundry and dishes).

So there's the story...

I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to the gym. But since it doesn't seem realistic right now, I want to start strength training at home anyway if I at all can. I want to try doing some lifting at home with barbells. But...where do I even start? How heavy...? What do I do? Anybody have a clue as far as just a jumping-off point here...what I'd need to buy...how I'd go about this?

As to where I'm starting fitness-level-wise: well, I'm not a total couch potato. I don't have a great deal of strength but I'm not a total slouch. I do a 30-minute workout at home daily, alternating Pilates with Jillian Michaels. In addition, I walk every other day or every day (depends when I can get it in). So I'm not starting from absolutely nothing, but as far as weights go, I've only borne my own weight, really, during the workouts - planks and lunges and 2-lb. hand-held weights for my Pliates arm segment, stuff like that.

As far as goals, I have some weight to lose and want to retain muscle while doing so (since as I understand things, losing muscle is a risk there...I'm moderate, though, not starvation-level dieting). I would like to maintain what I have but also build up a tad from what I have, not to look like Ms. Olympia (impossible anyway, LOL) but to have a nice shape, be strong, and be doing some weight-bearing anti-osteoporosis type stuff. I do want to build at least a little muscle, all around. Butt, thighs, arms, abs.

ANY help would be huge, so thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,510 times
Check out Power to the People by Pavel. It's based on the floor press and the deadlift. All you need is a barbell and a set of weights. Just ensure you pay a tremendous amount of attention to form and follow the program as directed. Also, listen to your body and consult with a doctor before engaging in a serious weightlifting program.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:13 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
There are many ways of doing it, but if it were me on a limited budget, I'd get those dumbbells that can adjust to various weights, and a bench.

You can do a good workout with just those two things:

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...y-workout.html

Cardio you can do by going for a walk or bike ride.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
List the equipment that you have.

How much time do you have?

Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Thank you, everyone! Checking out the two recommendations above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
List the equipment that you have.

How much time do you have?
1. Once my kids are home in the afternoon, I should have an hour between that, and starting dinner. It would be leaving the kids that would be the problem - I can make the actual time.

2. No equipment, except two 2-lb. barbells that I use for my Pilates tape.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:05 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
I would suggest P90x or BodyBeast from Beachbody - that's what helped me lose 70 lbs.

T-Nation dot com have great programs in their archives.

I would recommend Selectech adjustable dumbbells and a weight bench to start.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:32 PM

291 posts, read 397,629 times
I had the same issues/thoughts when i was starting years ago. Here is how i did it at home:

1) Go on Craigslist and buy a bunch of used free weights (try to stay under $.33/lb). A bunch of 1, 5, 10 lbs plates should be good to start. You can always add more as you increase your strength.

2) If you have the room, buy a cheap adjustable bench like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Weider-WEBE49...justable+bench

3) Watch home workout videos on YouTube. I personally like scooby exercise vids (particularly his older ones)

This is ultra cheap, but highly efficient way to get into strength training at home. I have this setup in a small area of my garage and i love it. It could easily be placed in a 2nd bedroom, small office, etc.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Not to knock any of the excellent suggestions so far, but with few exceptions (post #2) the programs are too much variety. I really want to like the program in post #3. Its amazing how many different exercises can be done with just dumbbells but its just too much. Way too much.

My favorite "beginner" program is "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Its very simple. Three exercises: Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. You need a long bar and a flat bench with uprights or better still, a power rack. And of course, weights. As an earlier poster noted all this stuff can be found on Craigslist. Its hard to damage free weight equipment so its usually a very safe thing to purchase used. A bench that can lay flat as well as incline is best but if all it can do is lay flat that's fine. A bench that can only incline is limited in what it can be used for.

A program with somewhat more variety (interest?) than Starting Strength, but still uncomplicated enough to stick with and progress on is here. There are a lot of comprehensive bodybuilding websites online and IMO this one deserves more attention. It's not as slick as bodybuilding dot com, but there is a surprising amount of original information available for free here, and even more if one becomes a subscriber. The second of the two beginner routines is actually the one I do regularly, although I sometimes do the squats or deadlifts 5x5 Starting Strength style. Instead of selectorized dumbbells which are cool, but expensive. One can get short bars that are dumbbell length and you can use the same weights that go on the long bar. Setting those up is only a tiny bit more time consuming than dedicated adjustable dumbbell kits.

I always thought I wanted my own gym. Now that I could have one, I still travel to one. I did buy my own rowing machine because the ones in the gym were always breaking and were not well maintained. Making a case for the gym: most have childcare now. I don't know if there is an upper age limit that they accept. I see eight year olds in the childcare room at our gym. Might there be a gym that is free to registered (or not) students at colleges? Most colleges have excellent gym facilities. A workout could be a good filler for a gap in the course schedule.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:06 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
OP,

Since you specifically asked about strength training as it relates to osteoporosis and I have been working for 7 months with a personal trainer who designed my training to deal with my osteoporosis - I am going to try to pass on information regarding what you should and should not do.

Warm up - I use a manual treadmill for 5 minutes - mainly because with a manual treadmill it forces me to strike with my heel and push off with my toe. So, in addition to my warming up I am also working on my balance and picking up my feet. So, a few minutes of regular walking should take care of your warm up.

Stretching for 10 minutes - I can't stress how important this is before you proceed to your actual workout - to avoid injury. The routine for your stretching is unique to you. I have a mild curvature of my spine that impacts the muscle tightness on my left side. My trainer designed specific stretches for me to do to address this issue. He also trains a friend of mine who has osteoporosis and issues with lower back pain. He gave her a totally different set of exercises to do which included using a foam roller. A third friend just started training with him and she is as she puts it "stiff as a board". At present he has her using a foam roller exclusively to do her stretching - before he gives her any other stretching exercises.

Balance training - very important because you don't want to break an ankle, wrist, hip or your spine. Lots of exercises you can find on line for balancing on one leg, however, I particularly like a rocker board (About $50) to practice my balance using both feet because it does an excellent job of making your ankle stronger and more flexible and is a good workout for your lower body as well.

Deep Squats - done with good form, an excellent way to strengthen your leg muscles and helps with your balance. As your balance improves you can do deep squats on your balance board. It is very important that if you do deep squats, do not use weights at arms length. Weight should be held close to your body to avoid strain on your spine. (Hint - every time you bend over to pick up something off the floor do a perfect deep squat to pick up the item instead. You will add 20+ squats a day without even trying!)

Speaking of your spine, NO sit ups, NO twisting at your waist, NO bending over to touch your toes exercises, NO weights held out at arms length in front of you. NO swinging a kettle bell. All of these are counter indicated when dealing with osteoporosis. Beware of group classes if the instructor can't tell you which specific movements are not appropriate for you to do. Just having someone tell you to do what feels comfortable for you is not an answer. A movement may feel fine when you do it, but, may still not be safe for you to do if you have osteoporosis.

Wrists, hands and fingers - 5 pound dumb bells and some rubber balls are a great way to increase the strength and flexibility of your wrists and hands. Go on line for some exercises. Strong wrists will make all of your upper body work soooooo much easier.

Upper body work - Dumb bells are a great start - plenty of on line exercises. Just remember no weight at arms length in front of you - so you protect your spine from damage.

Use your stairs at home to do modified push ups. Dips off of a solid box (I do them off of my hope chest) are also good. Just watch your form to be sure you are doing them correctly.

A 12 inch box for step ups is great for cardio, balance and strength and flexibility of your muscles around your hip . (No jumping up on the box- not good for your spine and counter indicated for someone with osteoporosis .) A 12" plastic hurdle is good for stepping front and back and side to side to work the hip area as well.

Remember to take time to relax and cool down to end your exercise routine.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:23 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
There's no reason to pay for cardio DVDS when fitness blender is free and there is more than enough variety there to keep it interesting.

Weights wise, adjustable dumbells and a bench can get you pretty far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness