Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2016, 07:51 AM

43 posts, read 45,860 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen real results from using Barre3 as their main form of strength training? I have done the gym thing before, but at this point in my life, with a small toddler, I do not have the time or money to go to a gym for a traditional weights workout. Plus, I have to admit, I find the gym routine quite boring unless I am in a class. I am at the point in my life where I really want to exercise in ways that I enjoy, and I think I would enjoy Barre3. I just don't know how truly effective it is at muscle development/maintenance. I also enjoy yoga, running, and walking/hiking.

Last edited by girlieNfamily; 08-06-2016 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 04:05 PM

18,798 posts, read 27,231,162 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMySjpS6jQ

Yoga, Pilates, planks.... Minimal weights... Kinda low level cardio...

When you say - real results - what is that you are trying to accomplish?
Oh, nothing wrong with doing that barre thing. Any exercise is better than none.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:42 PM

1,347 posts, read 935,782 times
I do Pure Barre once a week. I don't know enough about the various "Bars" (barre3, The Bar Method, etc) to know how much overlap there is between all the workouts with "bar" somewhere in the name, but I will proceed assuming that there are substantial similarities.

For me personally, this stuff works, even though I only attend once a week (they recommend 3x minimum, but I too have a toddler and a full-time job). I can see the difference in my arms and legs, and I definitely notice the difference in leg and core strength. It is by far the hardest thing I have ever done (I've done Curves, Jazzercise, Zumba, CIZE, various dance/hip hop workouts), though admittedly the first format I've done regularly that is more strength-focused than cardio-focused. I have also noticed the impact it has had on my ballroom, particularly the leg strength improvements. I have been pleasantly surprised by its effectiveness. As always, ymmv and it's different for everyone, but I give it a thumbs up, so there is one data point.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM

4,528 posts, read 5,327,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieNfamily View Post
Has anyone seen real results from using Barre3 as their main form of strength training? I have done the gym thing before, but at this point in my life, with a small toddler, I do not have the time or money to go to a gym for a traditional weights workout. Plus, I have to admit, I find the gym routine quite boring unless I am in a class. I am at the point in my life where I really want to exercise in ways that I enjoy, and I think I would enjoy Barre3. I just don't know how truly effective it is at muscle development/maintenance. I also enjoy yoga, running, and walking/hiking.
I have to ask the same question as Urkoz above which is what kind of results are you seeking? What is your starting point? Are you ONLY looking for something online, or do you want to actually attend a class?

From what I have seen on Barre3, I think you would be better served to just enroll in a local Vinyasa yoga class.

You say you want something that you would "enjoy", what makes you think you will enjoy Barre?

Old 08-08-2016, 06:09 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,241,961 times
I think Physique 57 is more vigorous of the barre exercise classes than Barre3. Are you doing the streaming? It's great for building up your quads, hams, and glutes (in a good way) and toning everything up. I don't lift weights, just do barre exercises nowadays, and I'm not in bad shape. Working out at home is the way to go.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMySjpS6jQ

Yoga, Pilates, planks.... Minimal weights... Kinda low level cardio...

When you say - real results - what is that you are trying to accomplish?
Oh, nothing wrong with doing that barre thing. Any exercise is better than none.

Results as in decreasing flab and firming up the usual "problem" areas.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I have to ask the same question as Urkoz above which is what kind of results are you seeking? What is your starting point? Are you ONLY looking for something online, or do you want to actually attend a class?

From what I have seen on Barre3, I think you would be better served to just enroll in a local Vinyasa yoga class.

You say you want something that you would "enjoy", what makes you think you will enjoy Barre?

I think I would enjoy it since I do very much enjoy yoga but don't necessarily view yoga as something to be done for strength training, although I am sure the more vigorous types of yoga classes can build strength. I also really enjoy dance classes, as well.
I need something online, as I work outside of the home and have a small child. I keep reading about Barre3 all over the internet but don't know anyone IRL who actually does it. I like the combination of yoga-dance-strength training that Barre3 seems to provide, but I am wondering how effective it is in terms of strengthening and firming up muscles.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,654,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieNfamily View Post

Having always worked out @ 24-Hr Fitness classes, I found myself focused on getting leaner and more flexible. I've always loved yoga, but felt that alone would not yield results in my desired time frame. I took one Barre3 class and LOVED it! A combination of both yoga and pilates, it was really a great "burn". I plan to take more of these classes soon. Where i live there's a Hot Barre class that I'm dying to try next. I willing to bet that taking a few of these classes a week will tone you right on up. The focus of Barre is on these tiny little pulses that burn so badly, but are so good for toning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness