Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 10:56 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

Good for him.

Folks, losing weight and getting fit is not a hard concept.

Get moving, eat healthy, and work out at the gym.

Easy.

Meet the Man Who Lost More Than 300 Pounds on the 'Walmart Diet'

Quote:
Pasquale "Pat" Brocco, 31, was called "Fat Pat" his entire life. But now, he prefers the nickname "Possible Pat" because of his incredible weight loss journey and his unique fitness plan that helped him lose more than 300 pounds: walking to and from his local Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 02:27 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,541 times
That is awesome

Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Sorry, I do not believe that. I encountered in my life people that did tremendous diet and exercise dedication and they could not lose that much and that fast.
Also, I am curious about one thing. What happened to all the loose skin he should have after losing all that fat? You end up in sacks hanging everywhere.
I'll pass. If he had a lipo and tucks here and there - that I can accept. But not on dinky diet he did. Walmart simply does not sell healthy food. Cheap and healthy do not go together.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:14 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Sorry, I do not believe that. I encountered in my life people that did tremendous diet and exercise dedication and they could not lose that much and that fast.
Also, I am curious about one thing. What happened to all the loose skin he should have after losing all that fat? You end up in sacks hanging everywhere.
I'll pass. If he had a lipo and tucks here and there - that I can accept. But not on dinky diet he did. Walmart simply does not sell healthy food. Cheap and healthy do not go together.
From the link:

"Brocco changed his eating habits by loading up on healthy food-like vegetables, meat, sweet potatoes, steel-cut oatmeal, and quinoa-while cutting out junk food. He also modified his diet along the way as he discovered what foods were hurting his weight loss goals. "Once I figured out dairy was my downfall, I took it out of my diet, and instantly I started losing weight again ..."

Walmart sells plenty of healthy food. The reference to Walmart is not about diet. It refers to the fact that he was walking a 6 mile round trip to the store instead of eating when he felt the urge to snack.

"Within two years, he lost 200 pounds and began working out in a gym. Today, Brocco is a full 325 pounds lighter and wants to become a body builder, he wrote on his GoFundMe page. Just this week, he underwent surgery to remove the roughly 30 pounds of excess skin, which he paid for through a GoFundMe and with a discount from his doctor."

Old 08-22-2016, 11:52 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,723 times
Good for him! It's nice to see an article celebrating realistic, healthy weight loss rather than something like People Magazine's article on Penn Gillette's lose 100 pounds in 100 days by eating less than 1,000 calories a day diet. I think Pat has a good chance at keeping this weight off, unlike most people who lose weight on those super low calorie diets.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
The Walmart near me sales plenty of fresh veggies, fruit and meat. Lot's of less healthy choices too.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:24 AM

64 posts, read 57,687 times
Wow, breaking news : a man loses weight after he started to walk a lot, eat healthy food and working out. You can call that Wallmart, Costco, or whatever, I just call that common sense.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:

What's not to believe? A calorie deficit (via eating restrictions or exercise--or both) generally results in weight loss.

As far as your contention goes that Walmart "simply does not sell healthy food," it's not based on reality. Their grocery section sells the same foods in the same aisles as Wegmans, Tops, etc.--and often cheaper.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:54 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
As the article says, surgery to remove 30 pounds of sacks. Likewise, that isn't what I'd call fast weight loss. Also, <2 pounds a week isn't really that fast, particularly true for someone that's three people large. Try setting foot in a WalMart before confirming you don't know what you're talking about. I don't shop there for other reasons but lack of healthy food isn't one of them. Years ago WalMart was the closest store open after 10:00, so I would do my grocery shopping there on occasion. It's no more or no less healthy than a regular supermarket. If you can't get "healthy" food at a supermarket, it's because you don't know what healthy food is. Hell, WalMart got you covered these days even if you're one of those types with imaginary celiac disease who won't touch anything that's not non-GMO and certified organic. They might only have two or three types of organic quinoa instead of seven but they still have it.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:49 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,707 times
Kudos to Mr. Brocco!

I loved reading about him, and the positive changes he's made in his life.

Diet is key, and exercise is always beneficial. I don't belong to a gym, but I don't have a car and I use me old legs to get from point A to point B whenever possible. If the distance is too far, I'll cab it.

Nothing like walking. It's the perfect exercise. And it's free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness