Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:42 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times

Advertisements

Little over a year ago joined Planet Fitness. Haters can hate, but it comes down to who is owning the gym makes it a good PF. I didn't go to the gym for 5 months till the brand new PF was open with new equipment. Now I go 2 to 3 times a week. Love it! It's only $20 bucks a month.

However, thinking of joint the Y which is a bit expensive $42 a month, eek! I love the pool.

Back to the question what gym do you go to and how much a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 07:28 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
I work out at a regional gym called Maxx Fitness. Before that I was going to another local gym on and off for about 20 years. They charged about $60 a month, so it was a lot, but it was open 24 hours. The place closed abruptly without letting the customers or the staff know. The one I go to now is $20 a month and they have newer equipment. There is also a cardio room where they show a movie on the big screen. However, I am thinking about checking out LA Fitness because they have a pool, sauna, and whirlpool in addition to what I get now for $35 a month. Plus they have their own parking lot, whereas the gyms in these shopping centers share parking with other businesses.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,141 times
I go to a fantastic private gym and it costs $49 a month. It is the only gym in the area that has experienced personal trainers who work with seniors who have all sorts of medical issues. (This is something seriously lacking in the franchised gyms.)

The cost of training sessions is very reasonable and most importantly my trainer has the knowledge of particular exercises I should NOT do based on my medical history.

The gym attracts all ages and all levels of fitness. They move into a new 24,000 square foot building tomorrow which features state of the art equipment and a two story rock climbing wall! Looking forward to the new building which is 4 times the size of the original building.

Best investment I have made in improving my health this year! The $10 a month gyms in the area would have been a waste of money.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
I have had gym memberships at just about every major gym and also some small neighborhood gyms. In my experience, the Y is very limited with the equipment, classes, and the hours that they have. I'm sure not all YMCAs are like this though. I have heard many good things about Planet Fitness. I have only been to one one time and I was very impressed. If I were you, I would keep going to PF. The one in my city has amazing hydromassage tables and the membership is only $10/month. It's also very clean and the staff is nice.

I had a membership at Fitness Connection and I liked it a lot. I went to Fitness Connection two years and never had any issues with them. I went to a few different locations. They maintained their equipment well, the membership was cheap ($10/month,) and the staff was nice and willing to help.

I truly hated 24 Hour Fitness, however. I had a membership only one month, then discontinued it. They did not maintain their equipment well. I went in and attempted to use treadmills and often half of them were broken. They never seemed to fix them. The locker rooms were dirty and they were overcrowded.

I also tried a hybrid Crossfit gym with a box type layout. Although I liked it, it was too difficult and expensive for me and I had to stop that one after one month as well. They went out of business soon after. I believe it was because it wasn't pure Crossfit and other people didn't see the added safety bonus a hybrid gym offered.

I attended a smaller neighborhood style gym that had two locations: one farther from my house solely for personal training, and the other location near my home for general workouts and personal training. I wasn't impressed with either gym. The membership was a bit expensive and when I signed up for personal training sessions at the one near my house, the owner ended up burning me on my training money by no-showing for our training sessions on several occasions. I was shocked that an owner of a gym would behave so unprofessionally and never went back.

I now have the benefit of a free small neighborhood gym membership offered through my health insurance company, but I don't use it. This gym is very tiny and the hours they are open are quite limited. I purchased a key which allows me to come and go 24 hours a day, but I found that I don't feel safe working out at the gym alone, even with surveillance cameras recording. I have gone back to working out at home, which I am OK with.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:32 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
I go to a local CrossFit gym.

I used to be a PlanetFitness member back in '09, but I wasn't a fan. No squat racks, they wouldn't let you deadlift, etc.

Don't get me wrong - going to PF is better than not going to a gym at all, so more power to you if you like it.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:33 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Think my PF has 2 squat racks. I live to keep the PF and pay half for the Y to use the pool. Only reason I like the Y is the pool. I find swimming to be the best workout. To bad no LA Fitness near by cheaper then the Y.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
LAFitness and the park on the weekend for outdoor cardio boot camp. I am ex-Ballys member grandfathered in. I pay $105 yearly for premium-that is any LAFitness in the country can be visited.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:42 PM

940 posts, read 968,369 times
Planet Fitness; I've lost 50 lbs.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
YMCA and i have a young adult membership for $29. Individual is usually $50ish. Family is $80ish. ( id have to look to get exact figures but they are in that range as of a few weeks ago). You can get a Membership For All to cut costs of membership if your income qualifies.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:58 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,862 times
I work out at the YMCA, they take in Silver Sneakers and the one I go to has everything. They have a work out program that includes a Trainer working with you. They have a Swimming Pool that I do Aerobics and Yoga in.

Truth even if it wasn't paid for I would still pay for it.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness