Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times

Advertisements

Meh...curls like every other isolation lift is a glamour lift. Go compound or go home. Steroid users are a joke because they are cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 10:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Steroid users are a joke because they are cheating.
Cheating at what?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:02 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,736,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
So I was watching Jerry Ward's video on bicep curls, where he has a couple of dudes doing some curls to failure. Both Jerry and that other guy are blatant roid users. But that's not what I found interesting. No, the interesting part is how in-spite of being so big, the guy could not curl more than roughly 30kg/65lbs, and not even full reps at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO5sJTAPTp4 Go to 1:20

Many people in the comments have taken notice and are making fun of him for it lol.

But yea, I guess this just goes to show that size isn't the same as being strong. Steroid users can get big lifting just limited amounts of weight cus their drugs makes them blow up just looking at the dumbbells. Remember that the next time you see one of them big dudes at the gym. These guys aren't actually that strong much of the time considering their size
Couple of things:

You sure they were doing there max?
Huge diff, no pun intended, between a bodybuilder and a power lifter, both of who use peds
Know why people use peds?

BECAUSE THEY WORK

Note: also huge differences in why they are used (recovery vs anabolism)

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
Yeah, steroids is a very controversial issue.....many consider the results as being fake and cheating.

I bet both of them guys are very strong......that is one of the effects of steroid use.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 AM

1,478 posts, read 787,741 times
I used steroids in the past. You are not going to get his physique merely by using steroids. Part of his good physique may be credited to genetics, part even to steroids. But he obviously has a proper diet for his particular goals and he knows what he's doing in terms of bodybuilding mechanics and workouts to have successfully developed a physique like that.

Steroids help speed up muscle recovery but they can increase your strength and agreession too. But my understanding is that professional bodybuilders spend more time in the gym than most people realize. As in they may go to the gym twice or three times a day to workout.

The other critical thing--at least from my understanding--is that professional bodybuilders actually workout with far less weight, to gain muscle mass, than what the general public thinks or are led to believe. They lift heavy but also lift light. Their actual muscle mass building workouts come from their lifting of light weights. At least that is what I was led to believe from watching a documentary on a bodybuilder some years ago.

The guy in this video may have worked out previously, exhausting his muscles, before he shot this video curling. I don't know. He could have been squeezing his biceps while lifting the weights also.

Anyways, even weight lifters that don't use steroids are usually not as impressive in strength and endurance as they think. There are people into pure body weight exercises they could not hang with.

Some of this comes down to goals. It is true a lot of functional strength development does not require huge musculature development. Even training to be an old fashion strongman bending steal bars does not require big biceps. President Abraham Lincoln was said to be able to hold an axe out by its handle, with two fingers, in one arm fully extended. Strength developed from chopping trees out on the frontier. The Mongols were said to be able to hold themselves on the side of their horse, with their leg strength gripping the horses, while their horses galloped at full speed. All with firing arrows from composite bows accurately, requiring a draw strength of over 140 pounds on the string of the bow. I'd like to see your average weight lifter do that.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:14 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,736,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
So I was watching Jerry Ward's video on bicep curls, where he has a couple of dudes doing some curls to failure. Both Jerry and that other guy are blatant roid users. But that's not what I found interesting. No, the interesting part is how in-spite of being so big, the guy could not curl more than roughly 30kg/65lbs, and not even full reps at that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO5sJTAPTp4 Go to 1:20

Many people in the comments have taken notice and are making fun of him for it lol.

But yea, I guess this just goes to show that size isn't the same as being strong. Steroid users can get big lifting just limited amounts of weight cus their drugs makes them blow up just looking at the dumbbells. Remember that the next time you see one of them big dudes at the gym. These guys aren't actually that strong much of the time considering their size
Personally, I think any ped should be allowed, from college up for all sports/competitions. Being a sports fanatic, I want a better product.

At 43, and an meta conditioner I'm think of asking my doc to say I have low T for the extra boost as I age. I'm not slowing down yet but it's inevitable so why not get a jump on things.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
I used steroids in the past. You are not going to get his physique merely by using steroids. Part of his good physique may be credited to genetics, part even to steroids. But he obviously has a proper diet for his particular goals and he knows what he's doing in terms of bodybuilding mechanics and workouts to have successfully developed a physique like that.
You do realize that you have broken OP's heart and challenged all his convictions and research (done over a laptop by googling "steroids are bad") by this statement, right?
(See other threads started by him)

Last edited by nirvana07; 08-29-2016 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: bolded a section of quoted text

Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
In general, bodybuilders are training for size, not strength.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Ok. I finally watched the video... J,J,& M! It is obvious to me that the puffed up steroid abuser who curls first is illustrating what actual failure looks like! Seriously, does anyone (including the o.p.) really imagine that Jerry couldn't curl that stupid amount of weight until long after everyone that might have been watching had died of old age? Really? It is an instructional video. A performance. You don't get muscles like that and be weak. I get that you might not be as strong as a smaller lifter training purely for strength, but you absolutely cannot be weak.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Ok. I finally watched the video... J,J,& M! It is obvious to me that the puffed up steroid abuser who curls first is illustrating what actual failure looks like! Seriously, does anyone (including the o.p.) really imagine that Jerry couldn't curl that stupid amount of weight until long after everyone that might have been watching had died of old age? Really? It is an instructional video. A performance. You don't get muscles like that and be weak. I get that you might not be as strong as a smaller lifter training purely for strength, but you absolutely cannot be weak.
Me too just saw the video. The jacked up dude did 15 reps and then partials. How is he "not able to do curls"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness