U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 05:07 PM

673 posts, read 2,941,690 times

Advertisements

It has been YEARS since I've actually ran. 3 years ago I was pregnant and then I had back problems and ended up having back surgery last year. I feel so much better and want to start running again. I've never been a "good" runner, but I want to learn how to build up my cardiovascular strength. I just got a treadmill and now am walking/running at least 30 minutes a night. However, when I try to run I find myself not breathing correctly and then it throws me off. Can anyone give me advice for being able to run again? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 PM

211 posts, read 914,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
It has been YEARS since I've actually ran. 3 years ago I was pregnant and then I had back problems and ended up having back surgery last year. I feel so much better and want to start running again. I've never been a "good" runner, but I want to learn how to build up my cardiovascular strength. I just got a treadmill and now am walking/running at least 30 minutes a night. However, when I try to run I find myself not breathing correctly and then it throws me off. Can anyone give me advice for being able to run again? Thanks!!!
First of all, congratulations on your comeback, and for walking / running for at least 30 minutes. As I'm sure you know, starting to run is hard. It's a lot of stop and go until your endurance builds up, and it will take some time.

May I ask where you run? Asphalt, gym, track? I believe that asphalt would be the hardest on your back, so to absorb more shock you may want to try a soft track. I realize some people do prefer a treadmill, and if you medically must do so, then by all means, do it. However, running on asphalt is very different because it requires holding more of your own body's gravity pull. I've always gotten the best results from asphalt. With this said, if a re-occurring back injury isn't a concern, then ignore me! LOL!

I'm a runner (28-35 miles per week). To this day, it takes me 1-1/2 miles before my breath tapers off to stability. Some days, it may take 2 miles (every day the body is different). You may be finding it difficult to breath only because it is still relatively new to your body / lung capacity.

Runnersworld Magazine just address this topic in the new March issue. The question was, "Is there a right way to breathe when running?" The following answer was given:

"Not really. Some runners find that inhaling every second or third stride helps them maintain a steady breathing rhythm, but what comes naturally is best. I [the author of the magazine's response] do, however, recommend belly breathing, which can help eliminate side stitches and allow you to take in more oxygen. Maintain an upright posture - head over shoulders, shoulders over hips, and feet lightly touching underneath - inhale into your lower lungs (your stomach will rise) . . ."

The above is completely dead-on. The way I breath when running, is not the same as my neighbor when she runs. You will have your own pattern. I am a firm believer in belly breathing, which is really the CORRECT way to breath. We are all guilty of breathing only into the top part of our lungs. When I'm running and get a side cramp (stitches), that is the first indicator that I'm not breathing all the way into the belly. Once I start the deep breathing to where my belly actually rises, the cramp will disappear.

Sorry to be so long-winded . . . hope this helps!

Keep up with the running . . . before you know it, you'll be running mile after mile!!!

Last edited by cleveburg; 02-21-2008 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: grammar error

Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,125,623 times
Congrats on 30 minutes a night! I found that if you switch back and forth between running and swimming, your lungs get more of a workout and your endurance for long breaths build faster. Swimming forces you to breath evenly even if you are getting an extreme cardiovascular workout. Best of luck!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,173,170 times
Just read this and found it useful,

Are you running right?

Are you running right? | Health and wellbeing | Life and Health

Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 PM

135 posts, read 468,165 times
take two breaths in your nose and breath out your mouth, I hate running but Im in the Marines so I really have no choice. Get a rythm going in your breathing as you run ! Works for me ! Two in one out ! GOODLUCK ! You would think as much as I HATE running I wouldnt of joined the Marines. lol

Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks so much for all the positive feedback! I've done GREAT with running and really worked on it. I've been able to run a full mile without stopping, well, more like jog but still I havent been able to do that in over 10 years!!! I'm so happy that I have finally been able to do this! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:39 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,257,283 times
Well, you are doing great. Starting on a run/walk routine is the best way to start again, until you build up your stamina and endurance better.

Also, try to breathe through your nose too (in through the nose, out through the mouth). I know it's hard, but you'll get used to it.

As far, from the story you wrote, you are doing great. Keep going!! Don't give up!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 PM

471 posts, read 1,385,874 times
Way to go Wi_Girl. I appreciate all the tips too. Now that the weather is warming up I've been trying to run with my dog again. And I was wondering about the breathing thing.

I get up early to get in a good workout on my own, but then later try to take my dog out most days, so he can get a good workout too. He's getting a bit chubby...

Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 PM

Thanks again for the great comments! I'm glad i wasnt the only one who had this question about breathing. 1 month later and I am down 10lbs and on Easter Sunday wore one of my favorite dresses, I havent worn that dress in 4 years!!! It feels so good to be active, and ALIVE again! Of course we're planning on having another baby soon so all my weight loss will eventually be back but at least I'm starting lower on the scale than where I am at now. And hopefully with the treadmill now I'll be able to pick up again where I left off when that time comes.

Thanks again everyone! The compliments really help keep me motivated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness