Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:00 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,246,109 times

Advertisements

Do we really need 8 glasses of water per day?

I was under the impression that in order to build muscle mass I would need to drink a lot of water. Is this true? After watching the below video I'm wondering if I need to continue to buy tons of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:41 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,259,867 times
As someone in the wellness industry were taught to push people to drink 1/2 their body weight in oz of water. Now my understanding is tap water will due just fine. We were also taught about advertising and know 90% of the population won't exercise hard enough to need to replace their electrolytes i.e. Gatorade. From personal experience my skin is clearer and my weight is lower when I drink more water.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:17 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
I drink between 1 and 3 glasses of water a day, depending on the temperature and perspiration levels. But, I eat food that has a high water content. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, a big plate of beans every day and a pint of plain yogurt. A bowl of soup might substitute for two glasses of water and many other foods that have a lot of water in them, would reduce the number of glasses of it that people would need to drink.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:24 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
I do much better when I drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water. I exercise better, I feel better, and my skin is awesome.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:02 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

I was under the impression that in order to build muscle mass I would need to drink a lot of water. Is this true? After watching the below video I'm wondering if I need to continue to buy tons of water.
Dude, dont place ANY weight on a video by a guy who saw an episode of Debbie Downer on SNL then stole from it to try to become an "insta-famous" viral video person. I suggest you seek out other sources for your exercise/fitness/health related issues. Not a goofy vid from a guy who is looking to become an actor or film comedian.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I do much better when I drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water. I exercise better, I feel better, and my skin is awesome.
If you were actually drinking half your body weight in water per day you would be dead within a week.

Drinking around 6 L of water can kill you. A liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds. If you weigh 120 lbs and drink half your body weight in water, that would be 27 L of water, which would be way more than enough to kill you.

Water Intoxication: Just How Much H2O Does It Take To Kill A Person?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:40 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
If you were actually drinking half your body weight in water per day you would be dead within a week.

Drinking around 6 L of water can kill you. A liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds. If you weigh 120 lbs and drink half your body weight in water, that would be 27 L of water, which would be way more than enough to kill you.

Water Intoxication: Just How Much H2O Does It Take To Kill A Person?
She said half your body weight in ounces of water. A 120 pound person would drink 60 ounces (1.8L) of water, not 27 liters.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-15-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8
It is important to replace lost fluids. If you do not do so promptly, you put yourself at high risk of kidney stones in addition to having to end your workout early due to dizzy spells that accompany dehydration. If you are lightheaded or dizzy, you have already been drinking too little. If your urine is dark yellow or brown, you have already been drinking too little. You do not want kidney stones!!!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:24 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
What a bunch of BS.

The only TRUE gauge to fluid intake is your BODY. Your body will TELL YOU when it needs water - with THIRST.
Yes, you can train your body, being brainwashed into belief that you will - read posts above - if you do not drink all that unnecessary fluid - into fallacy of excessive fluid intake. But the only people that really benefit from it are owners of water and drinks producing companies who heavily invested into all that propaganda.

Classic body building school will tell you this - no fluid intake at least 30 minutes before, through and after gym session. That's if you want to really exercise. Not to show off in the gym with colored bottles of neon colored fluids in them.

Brrrrr...

Maybe this will make you think, Gatorade lovers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUTZmSyDErg

Old 09-16-2016, 06:25 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
.................................................. ........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness