Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM

597 posts, read 660,983 times

Advertisements

I've noticed this about myself sometimes when running or even when at work and a little stressed. I don't always naturally breathe deep (or IMO deep enough). If I catch it (often times I won't even think about it), I can simply tell myself to breathe deeper and I'll feel much better and have more energy when I'm running.

It's sort of bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:54 PM

104 posts, read 275,834 times
I have similar issues. Growing up I was a mouth breather and it wasn't until a few years ago when I went through myofunctional therapy that I could actually breathe through my nose! I learned how to consciously breathe from my diaphragm and along with some daily tongue exercises, I keep a small rubber band in my mouth on the tip of my tongue to remind myself to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth.

Even 4.5 years later, my deep, nasal breathing is still conscious, and not second nature. I've even had bite correction surgery and a septoplasty and it's still a daily habit I need to be conscious of.

When I exercise, esp. running, I find it takes more effort to breathe deeply from my diaphragm through my nose but my stamina and endurance both increase when I do and I can run faster and push myself harder.

Yeah, it's not easy, and I look forward to the day when this is all second nature (I was told 7 years unfortunately). But I will keep fighting to breathe properly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness