Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,192,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Does an average weight really qualify as "a lot" of fat? Geez. My stomachs not that bad lol
That's not what he was saying. Whether or not your abs have some definition depends on how lean you are (ie. body fat%). You can be an average weight, but it depends on what percentage of the weight is fat and what percentage is muscle. For a female, abs start to show more definition when you get down to a body fat% in the mid-teens, depending on where you tend to distribute fat. I personally found Pilates to give great results but, again, you have up leaner if you're looking for your abs to get a more toned* look.

*Before anyone gets pedantic over the use of the word "toned", I'm using it in the vernacular sense. We all know what people mean when they're talking about getting toned, so please don't nitpick. It's been a long day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 06:17 PM

579 posts, read 551,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's not what he was saying. Whether or not your abs have some definition depends on how lean you are (ie. body fat%). You can be an average weight, but it depends on what percentage of the weight is fat and what percentage is muscle. For a female, abs start to show more definition when you get down to a body fat% in the mid-teens, depending on where you tend to distribute fat. I personally found Pilates to give great results but, again, you have up leaner if you're looking for your abs to get a more toned* look.

*Before anyone gets pedantic over the use of the word "toned", I'm using it in the vernacular sense. We all know what people mean when they're talking about getting toned, so please don't nitpick. It's been a long day.
But I would think where the fat is distributed matters a lot? Like example, a 20% body fat female that is an apple shape will have more fat in her tummy area than the same body fat percentage but an hourglass shape. I'm an hourglass so I don't gain much weight in my tummy. It's mostly around my hip and thigh.and I'm not looking to have a six pack just a little definition- I think that's realistic for my body type

Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,140,237 times
I just started doing planks and various other ab exercises daily this June. I can see a major difference in muscle tone. I'm not any smaller nor have I lost any weight, but the shape of my abs is definitely becoming more appealing by the day.

I do put a good amount of effort into it...probably 20 minutes minutes a day and that is on top of the cardio and other stuff I was already doing.
(I'm also female)

Old 09-21-2016, 11:20 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,335,566 times
Quote:
I was wondering if someone of an average weight could see noticeable ab results by doing standard crunches for a few months ( or some extended period of time) I would think it would give the stomach more definition and a "pulled in" type of look.. Right?? Like would make the stomach look tighter?
Quote:
But I would think where the fat is distributed matters a lot? Like example, a 20% body fat female that is an apple shape will have more fat in her tummy area than the same body fat percentage but an hourglass shape. I'm an hourglass so I don't gain much weight in my tummy. It's mostly around my hip and thigh.and I'm not looking to have a six pack just a little definition- I think that's realistic for my body type
No one knows what you mean by "average". What is your height and weight? Providing this would help a bit. But really, like what most people are saying, is that you have to lower your bodyfat % in order to see "...noticeable ab results...." like you said.

Here is a pic that shows what I consider to be "average" - https://sociorocketnewsen.files.word...es11.jpg?w=580 I dont look at "average" as averaging out the fat people because there are so many of them. I look at average as being "average healthy normal weight range". As you can see, both of these girls are average with the one of the right being slightly bigger, but neither have really defined abs. But they do have flat abs.

Here is another image where I consider the "normal" range to be 20% - 25% (15%-20% is ideal ). Notice that the 30% gal looks pretty good here as well. Even with her at 30%, if she were to do some ab work and lower her bodyfat even 5%, she would have some really nice defined abs. http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/...tage-women.jpg

Bottom line, which is what everyone here has been telling you - lower your overall bodyfat % and you'll see your noticable ab results.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
No one knows what you mean by "average". What is your height and weight? Providing this would help a bit. But really, like what most people are saying, is that you have to lower your bodyfat % in order to see "...noticeable ab results...." like you said.

Here is a pic that shows what I consider to be "average" - https://sociorocketnewsen.files.word...es11.jpg?w=580 I dont look at "average" as averaging out the fat people because there are so many of them. I look at average as being "average healthy normal weight range". As you can see, both of these girls are average with the one of the right being slightly bigger, but neither have really defined abs. But they do have flat abs.

Here is another image where I consider the "normal" range to be 20% - 25% (15%-20% is ideal ). Notice that the 30% gal looks pretty good here as well. Even with her at 30%, if she were to do some ab work and lower her bodyfat even 5%, she would have some really nice defined abs. http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/...tage-women.jpg

Bottom line, which is what everyone here has been telling you - lower your overall bodyfat % and you'll see your noticable ab results.
Like on a height weight chart, I am average. It's not code for "overweight". I put my height/ weight into a calculator and I'm at 22. I've been working out for a few months, which I know isn't long but I gain muscle very easily and I have done a tone of strength work, especially lower body because women can gain lower body muscle easily. Lots of glutes and thigh work. I started doing abs maybe a month ago.

Using Asian women as your example of average is a little odd because they do have smaller builds than most. I also have Mediterranean ethnicity in me so I have wide set hip bones and that "hip to waist" ratio that Asians don't have. Even if most Asians gain weight, they're not true hourglasses because they don't have the proper hip/waist ratio. Their builds are petite and not much waist definition. That woman at 30% seems to have a similar hip/waist ratio to mine. I find it odd actually because my body looks similar to that but I'm at 22%. Go figure. I suppose it's just because people have different builds. Someone with wider set hip bones will look curvy even at a lower body fat percentage. I suppose that's a little off topic from abs though lol

Last edited by Shimmy00; 09-21-2016 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 10:39 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,881,608 times
This thread is worthless without pics.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
This thread is worthless without pics.
If you actually took the time to read my posts, I said I'm at 22, an hourglass, and I look similar to the woman's body type at 30% from the photo above (maybe a bit more lean though).. this really is not rocket science here to imagine what my body looks like. I don't feel comfortable posting half nude photos on a public forum.

From what's been said by other posters, it seems like I will be able to see some definition if I keep it up. I don't have that much fat on my stomach so it should be fine. End thread . Lol

Old 09-22-2016, 07:07 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,872,068 times
No. Not with standard crunches. This may just be my body, but I never saw (or even felt, strength-wise) a difference in my abs until I added some resistance (dumbells) and more intensive styles of crunches, such as standing crunches with weights, plus much more focus on obliques. Again, this may just be me, but I found obliques work really "pulled things in".

Once I added the weight and amped the difficulty level (for me), I saw a difference within two months, I'd say. Strength-wise I felt a difference and was able to much more easily utilize my entire body strength-wise (as I don't just do abs) in about five or six months.

Quote:
If you actually took the time to read my posts, I said I'm at 22, an hourglass, and I look similar to the woman's body type at 30% from the photo above (maybe a bit more lean though).. this really is not rocket science here to imagine what my body looks like. I don't feel comfortable posting half nude photos on a public forum.
He was joking around. All the guys say that around here..."This thread is worthless without pics." It's kind of a traditional C-D thing by now. I doubt anybody is expecting you to actually post provocative pics of your exposed areas!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:29 PM

48,356 posts, read 34,485,139 times
I can add my experience. I'm 5'5 and 135, which is a size 4.

I do between 100 and 200 ab exercises 5 days a week. Planks, side planks, sit ups, crunches, bicycles, leg lifts, etc.

I have pretty good core strength. I'm still thick waisted. Drives me nuts. I'm hourglass, but barely.

When I weighed 100 lbs I still had lower abdominal pooch.

I do one set of situps with weights. But thinking about what JerZ said, I think I should increase the level of my ab exercises.

I didn't notice a lot of definition in my arms until I started upping the weight.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2016, 05:15 AM

64 posts, read 66,043 times
Abs are all made in the kitchen, look to your diet and add in more cardio if you want to see them. You can do whatever core execerzies to make them pop a little more, 3x a week and heavier sets of 8-10 are better than 12-20 reps.

You can't spot reduce, it's common knowledge. You're spinning your wheels if think crunches everyday will do much aside from slightly improving core strength. Compounds such as squats/DLs will do much more. Planks are awesome too.

Can't out train an improper diet though, and threads are worthless without pics because everyone has different muscle mass - I'm 6' 173 and fairly lean/muscular but I need to cut 5-10 lbs before I bulk again. Some dudes are 6' 173 and skinny-fat with very little lean muscle. That's why pictures are worth a thousand words! Women and men are all built much differently and store fat in different areas. Mine goes right to gut and I start getting the moon face at 15% or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness