Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:07 PM

579 posts, read 552,004 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone of an average weight could see noticeable ab results by doing standard crunches for a few months ( or some extended period of time) I would think it would give the stomach more definition and a "pulled in" type of look.. Right?? Like would make the stomach look tighter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 03:15 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,884,261 times
Could you make your abs stronger, more powerful, with increased endurance and trunk support? Absolutely.

Can you have more "definition"? Only if you already have low enough body fat to see the abdominal muscles.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:36 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,795,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Could you make your abs stronger, more powerful, with increased endurance and trunk support? Absolutely.

Can you have more "definition"? Only if you already have low enough body fat to see the abdominal muscles.
This. Having strong ab muscles doesn't equal having a shredded six pack. The only way to have defined abs is basically to be under 10% body fat (for a male). If you want a washboard stomach you are better doing minimal ab exercises and just working on diet and some cardio

Old 09-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
This. Having strong ab muscles doesn't equal having a shredded six pack. The only way to have defined abs is basically to be under 10% body fat (for a male). If you want a washboard stomach you are better doing minimal ab exercises and just working on diet and some cardio
Actually I'm female.. I am personally not really wanting a washboard stomach.. Just a flatter/tighter look. I guess time will tell, but I'm just wondering if doing ab work will help flatten the stomach a bit, is all. Not looking for huge, drastic improvement, but just want a flatter look. I know diet is important but doesn't strengthening the abs pull in the stomach a little, so it appears flatter than if there was less muscle tone?? I have been using ankle weights to tone my legs and bum and they've definitely gotten tighter and have a different look, so I'm assuming that will happen with the abs too. Again.. Not expecting a drastic change.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:35 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,795,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Actually I'm female.. I am personally not really wanting a washboard stomach.. Just a flatter/tighter look. I guess time will tell, but I'm just wondering if doing ab work will help flatten the stomach a bit, is all. Not looking for huge, drastic improvement, but just want a flatter look. I know diet is important but doesn't strengthening the abs pull in the stomach a little, so it appears flatter than if there was less muscle tone?? I have been using ankle weights to tone my legs and bum and they've definitely gotten tighter and have a different look, so I'm assuming that will happen with the abs too. Again.. Not expecting a drastic change.
Doing ab workouts wont hurt...and actually doing the right ones is very good for you long term because strengthening your core will alleviate and prevent lower back pain.

As for aesthetics it might help a little but ab muscles are buried under a lot of fat even on a person of healthy weight. Beyond fat you also have to deal with water retention which can be a bigger issue with females then males but it is an issue with everyone and diet can increase water retention and bloating also. So go for it and see what kind of results you get

Old 09-19-2016, 08:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,864,867 times
Quote:
Actually I'm female.. I am personally not really wanting a washboard stomach.. Just a flatter/tighter look. I guess time will tell, but I'm just wondering if doing ab work will help flatten the stomach a bit, is all. Not looking for huge, drastic improvement, but just want a flatter look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
As for aesthetics it might help a lttle . . .
Strong ab muscles are good for your well-being, fitness, avoiding back pain, etc. Strong abs can also help keep the midsection pulled in some, and that can produce a flatter look. This may be noticeable if you are trim. It won't be apparent if it's hidden under a lot of fat, though.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Strong ab muscles are good for your well-being, fitness, avoiding back pain, etc. Strong abs can also help keep the midsection pulled in some, and that can produce a flatter look. This may be noticeable if you are trim. It won't be apparent if it's hidden under a lot of fat, though.
Does an average weight really qualify as "a lot" of fat? Geez. My stomachs not that bad lol

Old 09-19-2016, 10:47 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,864,867 times
I was making a general observation, not trying to guess how trim you are. Hard to say about "average." Different people have different ideas what that means, and the effects of exercise on looks, build, etc., will vary from person to person.

If you're reasonably trim, you're likely to see the midsection pulled in some if the abs are strong, so you have a slimmer appearance than you'd have with the abs out of condition.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,884,261 times
Quote:
Does an average weight really qualify as "a lot" of fat? Geez. My stomachs not that bad lol
Considering that something like 60% of adults are overweight, average would be a lot of fat.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,276,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Considering that something like 60% of adults are overweight, average would be a lot of fat.

Exactly. Reps to you, sir. I don't even know what "of an average weight" is supposed to mean. Weight only tells us a very little bit of the whole picture.

Last edited by hooligan; 09-20-2016 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness