Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM

17,452 posts, read 38,829,694 times

Advertisements

It is pretty much a rule where I go that you wipe down the machine after using it. Many wipe before as well to be safe. There are wipes at every machine. It takes seconds, dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:45 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
At my gym, which is a public rec center, just about everyone wipes down the machine after use. It's just common courtesy and sanitation, among other things. There isn't enough manpower to keep up with the sanitation that is required. Bodily fluids can transmit things, not to mention it's gross to be in contact with someone else's sweat. I (female) sweat like a PIG and feel no shame....intense workouts raise my body temperature significantly...but I wipe down after each use in consideration of the next person. Gross is the word that comes to mind when I see a sweat stain on a bench that i want to use.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:49 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
I wipe off the treadmill after a good run because some sweat has sprayed, and I put a towel down on benches, but yeah, there are a lot of odd germphobes out there, or something. I'm guessing these are the Purell multiple times a day people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
not to mention it's gross to be in contact with someone else's sweat.
Ever play sports or have sex? Neither ever seemed gross to me.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 AM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It is pretty much a rule where I go that you wipe down the machine after using it. Many wipe before as well to be safe. There are wipes at every machine. It takes seconds, dude.
^^^ This IS a norn and common courtesy. Some people are just clueless... and need to be told:
(you should read AND obey your gym rules)

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/r...-gym-9301.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4425937.html
http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-libra...-gym-etiquette
https://chuzefitness.com/gym-etiquette-for-newcomers/

Last edited by elnina; 09-29-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I wipe off the treadmill after a good run because some sweat has sprayed, and I put a towel down on benches, but yeah, there are a lot of odd germphobes out there, or something. I'm guessing these are the Purell multiple times a day people.

Ever play sports or have sex? Neither ever seemed gross to me.
No, never played sports. As for having sex, let me rephrase - I don't want to be in contact with some random stranger's sweat. There.

BTW, I don't use purell multiple times a day. It ruins the hands and exacerbates my eczema. People just need to be courteous and clean up their personal fluids.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:22 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,138,676 times
People like the OP are why I use a towel, usually wear a dri-fit hoodie or long sleeve shirt and either joggers or shorts with tights to the gym.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,758,953 times
Wiping down equipment is a common courtesy. It takes 2 seconds. I do tend to glare at people who leave their sweat for someone else to deal with. The OP sounds like a selfish p.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:00 AM

6,031 posts, read 6,078,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Some people who are not even remotely close to sweating insist on wiping every machine after every set - and more annoyingly, glare at you if YOU DON'T. They run over to the spray bottle and paper towels, and wipe, wipe, wipe. I'm getting sick of it. For the record: I am not wiping anything ever. I am not the gym janitor. If you can't stand getting a little sweat on you in a gym, STAY HOME!
The only time I really want your(1) sweat near me is one, you're my girlfriend and we're getting busy horizontally; two, you're my brother-in-arms and we're pinned down by enemy fire, you on the SAW and me feeding the belt or covering my sector with my FS2000 and the grenade launcher.

Since neither of those are true, vast bulk of the time, give me the freakin' paper towels and spray. I'll do it for you.

(1) Your = Anyone's

Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,968,291 times
I will amend that people who sweat profusely should wipe off the equipment. Leaving visible fluid residue is in fact gross. It is not necessary for me to wipe anything off the machines or weights as when I am finished with them, they are dry.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:18 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,717,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wiping down equipment is a common courtesy. It takes 2 seconds. I do tend to glare at people who leave their sweat for someone else to deal with. The OP sounds like a selfish p.
The non-wipers are probably also the ones who don't rack the weights when they're done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness