Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:51 AM

515 posts, read 623,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Maybe in California its different. The Gold's here gave me two free sessions with a trainer to go over my goals and show me the ropes. That was in the 90's. That is the only corporate gym I have ever belonged to, the rest have been private gyms that have gone above and beyond in their service.
Let's be honest, things are different in California... One of my favorite places to be.

Good to hear about Gold's. My time with them was in the 90's in Miami and they pretty much just signed me up and let me at. Don't think I ever saw a trainer then.

I agree with the private gyms or smaller local gyms with solid owners and staff. Much better chance of finding responsive and attentive staff and members. I guess word of mouth is really the best way to find out. Tougher if you're new to an area or just starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
In my opinion a "training" session when you join a new gym should consist of the trainer giving me a workout plan that I can follow, not spend over an hour discussing nutrition especially since I only need to lose 20 pounds. If I was a 300 pound woman I might understand all the nutrition talk.
Weight has nothing to do with what a trainer should offer. You don't go to a gym trainer to get nutrition advice; you go to a gym trainer to get workout advice: what exercises to do to achieve your goals, how to use the machines for best results and without hurting yourself, etc. If I want nutrition information, I go to a nutritionist.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:59 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
I have always viewed the 1 time free session with a trainer as a chance to sell personal training services.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:13 PM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
I haven't been in a gym in the last two decades. I would really need a walk through for most equipment.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Weight has nothing to do with what a trainer should offer. You don't go to a gym trainer to get nutrition advice; you go to a gym trainer to get workout advice: what exercises to do to achieve your goals, how to use the machines for best results and without hurting yourself, etc. If I want nutrition information, I go to a nutritionist.
Exactly.

I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:32 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
The free session at my last gym (a 10/mo type of neighborhood gym) consisted of some talk, some measurements, and a "fitness assessment". I never learned how to use the machines. When I hired the trainer, he introduced me to some of the machines. My current trainer will not teach me how to use a machine because he doesn't like to use machines. At all. But if I ask him, he'll show me.

Personally I will never spend a lot on a gym ever again. I used to attend flashy gyms similar to Equinox. They were nice with all of the bells and whistles but I don't need any of that. Just give me a weight rack, cable machine, elliptical, treadmill, stair climber, and a mat and I'm good to go.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The free session at my last gym (a 10/mo type of neighborhood gym) consisted of some talk, some measurements, and a "fitness assessment". I never learned how to use the machines. When I hired the trainer, he introduced me to some of the machines. My current trainer will not teach me how to use a machine because he doesn't like to use machines. At all. But if I ask him, he'll show me.

Personally I will never spend a lot on a gym ever again. I used to attend flashy gyms similar to Equinox. They were nice with all of the bells and whistles but I don't need any of that. Just give me a weight rack, cable machine, elliptical, treadmill, stair climber, and a mat and I'm good to go.
Correct. Most healthy people are served best with basic compound movements with barbells and free weights. Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Standing press, Pull ups, etc... However, advanced age, limited range of motion and muscle imbalances serve many people including middle aged folks just starting out. The idea is to prevent injury and spur initial muscle growth or maintain muscle strength.

Bottomline, some people need more help and assistance than others. Getting started, staying consistent and preventing injury and eating and sleeping properly is usually more important for sustainable health rather than finding the most complex and advanced routine and equipment.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:43 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Actually the opposite is true. It is pretty standard to get a 60 minute orientation on the equipment.
Agreed. I have had memberships to many gyms, and it's par for the course to get an introductory session familiarizing the member with the machines. Some trainers are better than others. It sounds like OP unwittingly signed up with a lousy one.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Update: the manager called me yesterday and apologized for them not having time with me on Monday. Maybe he saw the yelp review, maybe he realized I was annoyed because when I was leaving the trainer said "see you soon" and I replied "I don't think so".

I told him what happened on Monday with their trainer. He never sounded like that was so unusual for them and I told him I had expected at least 30 minutes to go over my goals and make a work-out plan for me. He told me when I came in today to find him and he would help me. We'll see how that works out. Unfortunately I am limited to where I can go because every gym is at least 10 miles away. That might not sound like much but our traffic is terrible once the snowbirds start arriving this month and a 10.5 mile trip could take 20-30 minutes one way.

I hate driving and I know myself well enough to know that if I have a gym that is close by I will go more often. Ditto for working out at home.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:01 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
In all the years while having joined Bally's, LA Fitness, Equinox, YouFit, Reebok, YMCA, Stratiform, Porky's, Gold's, JCC, CrossFit boxes... I never had a 60 minute introduction to the machines. Just a walk-thru or fitness evaluation/workout with a trainer. Guess I looked like I knew what I was doing? Idk. Not my experience and that's at a lot of gyms.

And this has been in Miami, Tallahassee, Atlanta, New York, Boca Raton. Different cities, same stuff.
This has been my experience.

The most you can expect from an intro session is their trying to sell you on buying personal training packages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness