Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 06:17 PM

37 posts, read 22,847 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear you feel this way. For me I feel working out is never a waste of time. When working out it should be self serving. It needs to be. When one works out it should be for them, whether it is to lose weight, be healthier, look better in or out of clothes it should be because they want not because they feel they have to. Perception is everything, your perception that is. When I first started lifting weights I did it for health reason. As I progressed in weights I got more and more excited. Each session I challenge myself to see if I can do one more rep or go heavier. So although I started for health reason I now do it because I do I like to see what I am capable of.

As a woman I do not find overly muscle men attractive. There is more to a human being than their physique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:34 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydreams View Post
All these years of doing it because I thought I had to, because I thought more people including girls would like me, because I thought I had to be physically strong to be a man. I busted my ass in the gym in and out. Spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on food, protein powders, supplements, gym memberships, and for what? If you saw me in a shirt, you would laugh at my face if I told you I lift weights. Bodybuilding requires a huge amount of work with minimal reward.

It is the most unfair hobby ever, because how good your results are, have everything to do with your hormonal makeup and genetics and little to do with hard work. Of course, people who have an easy time building muscle, will always claim is all hard work. It is easier on the ego to believe that a man has obtained something, because of something he did, rather than something he is. It doesn't help the fact that so many guys are on steroids nowadays. You'd be surprised. I've met people who I had no clue they were on them. They blatantly tell you their steroid stack. If anything, coming to this epiphany, makes me want to use steroids myself. I'm sick and tired of doing everything in my power, yet not seeing the results that I want, while other people do.

Yes, I saw some results, but for all the work and money I invested, is pathetic. Such a waste of time. And for what? It's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. Muscles are not needed, especially in today's society where the intellect and money reign supreme.

This crap has lowered my self esteem, because you can only cope so much. It destroys your from the inside, because you know you have acquired the knowledge, you know you are doing everything right, you are doing the same routines and following similar diets as those guys, yet you have nothing to show for it. It eats you inside and makes you bitter, because you cannot obtain what they have.

At least, with cars and money, if you work hard enough, save money, use credit, you can obtain them. You may not have a Ferrari or a 5 million dollar house, but most people don't. You can still get something nice.
Hoo boy.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
First- The guys that are roided out and way too big are just plain scary.
Second- Muscles do serve a purpose. They protect your skeletal structure, rev up the metabolism, provide safety in scary situations, protect your internal structures, allow your body to metabolize junk more quickly (metabolism)...
Third- If you are making something that much of an idol, it's a problem.
Fourth- You need to be doing it for the right reasons or you'll hate every minute of it. For me that's to build up solid bones so when I'm older I've got more bone built up to work with than those who didn't lift. Secondly, I want to stave off disease (3 of my grandparents have died from cancer. Also I'm a psych nurse so it helps if I don't look like a stick and helps me feel more confident. Another reason is mental health. When I lift I can only focus on that and it's invigorating to get everything else off the mind for a bit.
Fifth- Exercise creates blood flow, blood flow equals lymphatic flow, thus junk gets out of your lymph nodes and system quicker.
Lastly- "You can't take care of others, if you don't take care of yourself".

Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times
Quote:
All these years of doing it because I thought I had to, because I thought more people including girls would like me, because I thought I had to be physically strong to be a man. I busted my ass in the gym in and out. Spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on food, protein powders, supplements, gym memberships, and for what? If you saw me in a shirt, you would laugh at my face if I told you I lift weights. Bodybuilding requires a huge amount of work with minimal reward.

It is the most unfair hobby ever....
Yes, you have to lift for you, yourself. And you should only do it if you want to.

After getting results, many people (myself included) think we become a slave to it because we have gained results that took work, time, effort and costs money, and if we stop the results will go away.

I too, am very suspect of the supplement industry, and get my protein through food. (And I don't chase protein anymore.)

Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I lift for the people, but they're so unappreciative!
Haha

Old 10-24-2016, 07:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
I go to the gym to oogle big Brazilian butts in spandex and lifting the weights is the excuse I use to go do that.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 PM

505 posts, read 584,170 times
Hey OP,

I can relate. I'm a chick who decided to train MMA at a gym where the pros train, just for fun. I followed the terrible advice that "women cannot get bulky from heavy weight lifting" and eat more to weigh less! As a mesomorph body type, I packed on extremely unfeminine muscle SO easily to where none of my clothes fit.

While I am *very* strong, my arms look like Ronda Rousey and I am regretting weight lifting to this day. Had to stop and ask myself why the heck I was putting myself through all this grueling training? I'm never going to fight pro! Decided to quit after a gnarly sparring session. Haven't lifted a weight in 6 months now and cut my protein down to 30 grams per day. I still haven't been able to decrease all my muscle, as I agree with you - it's not necessary in today's society.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
It's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. Muscles are not needed, especially in today's society where the intellect and money reign supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
. . . I agree with you - it's not necessary in today's society.
Muscular strength is not needed for most jobs today, though there are exceptions. As for gaining an impressive physique for status, it's true that there are other ways to attain status. It's also true that you might want to examine your values if you're really heavily hung up on status.

However, strength training is beneficial for health. Good enough reason right there to pursue it.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:18 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Muscular strength is not needed for most jobs today, though there are exceptions. As for gaining an impressive physique for status, it's true that there are other ways to attain status. It's also true that you might want to examine your values if you're really heavily hung up on status.

However, strength training is beneficial for health. Good enough reason right there to pursue it.
It might not be necessary for jobs, but I can tell you that being strong makes a world of difference in my everyday life. I can carry a bag of concrete mix, or mulch, or topsoil...or whatever, to wherever it needs to be in my yard. I can work for hours in the yard, or help my BF lift a grill into his truck, or carry my kayak down to the water, or put it back up on the roof. I am a 60 year old female that has worked out regularly at a gym since I was 27. I don't regret a single hour spent there.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:57 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Looks can get you quite a ways but personality is what's more important. Women love edgy, playful men who tease them and know how to listen to them yet put them in their place when they start acting up.

Lift weights to be healthy and lift stuff easier and eat more, since I find I can eat a ton more when I lift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness