Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 PM

101 posts, read 159,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Hi guys I'm thinking about adding hiking to my regiment because I've heard it burns fat and calories like no other exercise. I'm still curious as to what terrain is appropriate to be considered hiking terrain. I'm going a park called Fryman in Los Angeles if anyone is familiar but it's a decent sized hill and seems like a good hike if anyone wants to Google it.

Now I want to hike 2 hours per day, three times a week with a ten pound pack. But do hikers eat before or on the trail or both? I'm thinking a big French bread sandwich to carb load, hit the trail drink plenty of water, no? Perhaps oatmeal or quinoa? I just don't want to undereat or overeat and just maintain my present body fat.

Any hikers in here? Advice plz
I'm a big hiker; I have the luxory of living in NW Montana. Mountains and open areas and trails galore.

Some quick thoughts:

1 - For a workout or specifically, a hiking workout, I will only bring snacks for the trail if it's more than 5 miles. The snacks would be non-sugary trail mix, nuts, dried fruits, etc. I'd want them to be light.

As for the idea of "carbo-loading" before workouts, I'm not big on processed carbs in general. Especially for workouts. There's new scientific evidence out which suggests healthy fats pre-workout such as avocados, coconut oil and similar are the foods that the human body truly craves and burns effectively. Check out Dr. Mercola's website for one source on this subject. I can personally say when I utilize healthy fats for not just my workouts but for healthy eating in general, I have experienced more energy and a leaner body than when I used to eat far too much empty carbs and processed breads.

2 - Plenty of water. Yes! Better to have too much than too little.

3 - Post workout I've had great success when some type of organic, plant protein shake such as Vega Sport is consumed within a few minutes of a workout. Food for muscles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 PM

35,073 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I wouldn't recommend hiking just for weight loss.

As a pretty experienced hiker, depending where you are, you are going to lose A LOT of time that could be spent exercising just driving to sites. That's time that could be spent in the gym exercising, especially during the work week.

I lived in the Midwest for three years and that's where I started hiking. Walking around in the woods and small hills of Indiana and Illinois is different than a more mountainous area. If you're hiking steep terrain, scrambling, losing balance, etc., that's something you can't really train for other than just doing it.

I don't see the need to bring a ten pound pack. You want to hike as light as possible, and only hike with the items you absolutely need.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wouldn't recommend hiking just for weight loss.

As a pretty experienced hiker, depending where you are, you are going to lose A LOT of time that could be spent exercising just driving to sites. That's time that could be spent in the gym exercising, especially during the work week.

I lived in the Midwest for three years and that's where I started hiking. Walking around in the woods and small hills of Indiana and Illinois is different than a more mountainous area. If you're hiking steep terrain, scrambling, losing balance, etc., that's something you can't really train for other than just doing it.

I don't see the need to bring a ten pound pack. You want to hike as light as possible, and only hike with the items you absolutely need.
Don't hike because it doesn't burn that many calories to lose weight or because there are better exercises to do that are more efficient for losing weight? I need some cardio to add to my weight training and I hate the treadmill. I could just go back to power walking around my area for three hours like I used to do. It would burn up a lot of calories. I just figured hiking with the steep inclines would be very useful.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 PM

35,073 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Don't hike because it doesn't burn that many calories to lose weight or because there are better exercises to do that are more efficient for losing weight? I need some cardio to add to my weight training and I hate the treadmill. I could just go back to power walking around my area for three hours like I used to do. It would burn up a lot of calories. I just figured hiking with the steep inclines would be very useful.
Where are you at and planning on hiking? Let's say you're going at an average of an 8% incline. You will go slower hiking than you will on a treadmill. You'll likely expend extra energy keeping balance, if you're carrying anything, etc., but probably not enough to offset the more robust pace you could do on a treadmill, or on a higher calorie burning machine like an elliptical.

I would start hiking casually on the weekends, see if you like it and how you feel, then determine if it should be a part of a normal exercise routine.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hell no. I eat about 1200 calories a day...just to maintain my weight. And I am very active. Old, , but active. I've never ever been able to eat much more than 1500 a day without gaining.
I am mid 40s female and fairly active (though I never go to a gym) and pretty fit (5'9 size 10) I don't count calories, but I would be shocked if I eat less than 1800 a day and on frozen yogurt days, probably more than 2k. I think a lot of it depends on how much muscle you have and how big you are overall. For a man his size 1200 cal would be way too few.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Hiking is sort of like surfing (my true outdoor passion) in that the more you talk about it, the sillier it sounds but if you are hiking JUST to lose weight, there are more efficient ways to spend your time, and it is sort of a waste. Hike for peace of mind, to challenge yourself, to feel small and to feel big, but just to burn calories? Seems sort of empty

Old 10-16-2016, 09:01 PM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
Would check out local Sierra Club or groups on meetup.com. Can get lots of neat advice and invites to reasonably priced outings plus advice on training and gear.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:28 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hiking is sort of like surfing (my true outdoor passion) in that the more you talk about it, the sillier it sounds but if you are hiking JUST to lose weight, there are more efficient ways to spend your time, and it is sort of a waste. Hike for peace of mind, to challenge yourself, to feel small and to feel big, but just to burn calories? Seems sort of empty
How would there be more efficient ways to burn calories than hiking a hill? This is what I am not getting. Are you guys saying that as far as cardio goes it doesn't efficiently burn as many calories then say power walking? Cus I'm terrible on the treadmill and I won't run. I appreciate it that you guys are really into it and I really found hiking serene and peaceful, but yes ultimately it's to find an efficient way to do cardio and burn calories. I'm limited as far cardio, I don't have a bike, I don't want to run and if it's more efficient than just power walking like eight miles, then why not? I'm not demeaning hiking.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:24 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
How would there be more efficient ways to burn calories than hiking a hill? This is what I am not getting. Are you guys saying that as far as cardio goes it doesn't efficiently burn as many calories then say power walking? Cus I'm terrible on the treadmill and I won't run. I appreciate it that you guys are really into it and I really found hiking serene and peaceful, but yes ultimately it's to find an efficient way to do cardio and burn calories. I'm limited as far cardio, I don't have a bike, I don't want to run and if it's more efficient than just power walking like eight miles, then why not? I'm not demeaning hiking.
Don't let any of these people turn you away from hiking, if that's something you want to do and can do. You might also try mixing in some spurts of speed-walking. After you've done that for awhile, you'll get better at it. It can be just as energy-consuming and endurance-building as running. You don't have to do the exaggerated hip-swinging and arm-flailing that race walkers do in competition, but just a modified and more comfortable version of it. It will add some variety to the hiking and build more strength than slower, standard walking. I start most of my hikes, running and bike-riding at my own front porch and don't often need to waste any time traveling to wherever I do it.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I just asked my daughters pediatrician about this. She's trying to lose weight, and she and I started hiking. He said it's a great workout, especially if the terrain has hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness