Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 09:52 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times

Advertisements

I DQ years ago, 7 or 8 years I think, in a December marathon.

Think my last race I ran was 4 years ago. I was hoping to be running races this fall. I am just able to get myself over the 3 mile mark close to running 5 miles, taking less walk breaks. Lost 50 pounds over the last 3 years. Been consistently running for almost a year. Slowly but surely I am coming back. I am hoping to run a 5K soon, but not much coming in the winter month's. Trying to decide should I register for a early May Half or a Late May Half.

Any tips or advice. Right now running about 20 miles a week. 2 4 mile runs, 1 to 2 3 mile runs, and 2 1 mile runs.
Go to the gym when I can once or twice a week. Walk 6 miles 3x a week. Use a stationary bike 3x a week for 30 minutes.

Not looking to break records my best half was 1:45 my last half was 2:25. Looking to run a 2 hour 1/2 marathon. Think should train 7 or 8 months for the 1/2?

Question about winter running. Lucked out with an easy winter last year, but heard this winter will be brutal in my area. Moving to a new location in town, so no more having the mile limited traffic loop in the condo I live at now. Have a feeling lots of dreadmill running will be occurring this winter. If I can get out have this .5 mile loop can repeat till the cows come home.

How do you deal and train with winter in regards to running?

Look forward to hearing the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 04:37 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,526 times
I ran in the CT winters, last year. Even those brutal - windchill days. You have to layer up, but the right kind of layers. I've found that in that weather--a pair of warmer workout pants. Underarmour Coldgear--any of the long sleeves. A running jacket OR running vest (depending on how cold--I got a North Face Running Jacket on sale at SoundRunner and a running vest at Lululemon.) GOOD running gloves. And, something to protect your head/face (I just run in an underarmour ColdGear Headband.)

Use MapMyRun, to see what routes other runners are using in your area, outside. The treadmill is the WORST to train on half marathons.

Go for it and register for a 5K!! You can so do it!

And May is plenty of time to train for a half. There are plenty of training regimines out there.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:16 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,167 times
Congratulations on the 50 lb loss! To train for a half marathon, you need to work up to at least one long distance run a week and the most important run is that long run. Every week (on the plan I used at least) you do two shorter runs and one long run. Increase the distance over time until you are doing one 10 mile run per week and finally a couple weeks before your half, do one 12 mile run. Then taper down to an 8 mile run the week before. You would start with a week that looks like this:

Mon - 2 miles, Wed - 2 miles, Sat - 4 miles
and end up 2 weeks before your half at:
Mon - 2 miles, Wed - 4 miles, Sat - 12 miles

The program isn't 7 or 8 months but more like 4-5 months or so.

That is what I used and I am not a hard core runner. There are lots of half marathon training plans if you look them up and decide what will work for you based on your fitness level, time available to run and the kind of performance you are looking to achieve.
As far as winter, I personally don't plan for races in the winter. I did do a half in November once that was 26 F. But I trained for it in the late summer/early fall.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:44 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Don't mind the cold, but the snow oh boy. Some times feel like on a single lane road with two way traffic when winter's are bad. Used to run in the basement during the winter ha. I think I'll have to look for winter races to keep myself motivated.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:54 PM

903 posts, read 582,668 times
I prefer 4 day/week running plans. Two short runs, a medium, and a long. Usually T/W/Th and Sat. I completed an Spartan Ultra Beast (27-miles and obstacles) and because I also needed to do serious weight training, I was only able to run 3 day/week.

We have mild winters, rarely gets below 30 deg. But, I have run when it was about 11 deg or so. I just wore layers and was plenty of warm. Some companies are starting to make shoes with Water proof/resistant shells so that in rain or snow you can keep your feet warm. But in general if you keep your core warm, your extremities will get the blood flow they need.

Mix your style of runs up, some tempo, some interval, some hills, etc. 7 to 8mos is probably way more than enough time. That is how long I trained for my Spartan and at the end, I was ready for the training to be done. I would continue with your regular running and then get serious for 4 to 5mos.

cd :O)

Old 11-08-2016, 04:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
If you ran a 1:45 half I'd think you really wouldn't need much help with a plan. I live in Houston so winter running isn't really an issue but I've done some 30 degree running while in NY and I'd much rather be chilly than run on a treadmill. Wear a synthetic long sleeve first layer that's moisture wicking, hat, gloves and add layers if needed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness