Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,363 times

Advertisements

I have lost 30 pounds and two sizes over the past 12 months. I have never counted calories or cut out any type of food because I strongly believe if you deny yourself anything you love, you will not keep the weight off long term. I have been working out five to six days a week (stength training plus cardio on three of those days) and cutting my portions. I know if I am eating less and exercising more I will lose weight and there is no need for me to take the time to count the calories.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmurfette View Post
I don't know if you're still dieting but you sound just like me, its so frustrating that it doesnt just fall off you. Im only 26 and 5' 1 and a half tall. i exercise 5 times a week on average, including mainly cv and ive just started doing weights and i dont feel half as skinny as i should be. I am a vegetarian so sometimes wonder if im missing something from my diet but eat very healthily. my only down fall like you is snacking and sweets. Im trying the 1200 cals a day and wondered if its too low? i feel okay so far, but wonder if im eating enough. I did do weight watchers before and lost weight and felt really skinny and nice and actually seemed to eat loads, including snacks but i seem to have got out of the momentum of that. I weigh about 9 stone i think, although i dont often weigh myself i go by my clothes instead but i have noticed things feeling tighter and it really gets me down.

i am about a size 8 on top and 10 on bottom, thats my bugbear hips, thighs and tummy, help???
as far as too few calories, this is my take. I try and stay under 1500 except for 1 day a week, when I don't care what I eat. Oddly enough, the only time I have a wieght loss during the week, is 2 days after my cheat day, which makes me think that my body needs that cheat day to kick back on. I think the metabolism shuts down with anything less than 2000.
I do tons of walking with a pedometer. I try and take 20,000 steps a day. I am lucky to have a job on a sales floor where I get to walk.

The gas prices have motivated me to walk to work, which is 4.7 miles away. I have blisters, but damn it my jeans fit again. I was so ashamed of my wieght that I used to shower in the dark so I would not have to see myself. I am a man by the way.

Always be moving. Even when I am watching the game, I am always rocking in my recliner.

Drink store brand crystal light with a table spoon of Benifiber every chance you get.

Don't workout so hard you cant have a conversation. If you work out too hard, you wont burn fat, so my gym teacher told me in HS about 20 years ago.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Hi- Don't forget its not just how many calories you eat but WHAT you eat that's important.
I think its very possible to eat 5-6 mini meals at work. I used to work in an office and bring mini meals and eat while I was at my desk every 3 hours. Others did too, so I don't think that should be a huge problem. Just tell them that you are hypoglycemic and need to put food in your body every 3-4 hours or you will get low blood sugar and pass out. They won't give you any trouble, no company wants a workmen's comp case on their hands.
I do think that calculator is too high. But don't forget its what you eat that is the real priority. Throw everything processed out and eat a combination of healthy carbs with protein at every mini meal. This way you won't get too hungry ever and overindulge.
Lifting weights is vital if you want to change your body. Even if you have no gym, go spend $30 on a dvd and 1 or 2 sets of light weights and do it at home for now.
Where there's a will there's always a way and good luck!
You're so funny! I love your post!

I agree, weight lifting is important. I have 20 pounds to lose so I'm not sure if this works or not but this is what I've heard: eat every 3-4 hours (like the other posts state) and stop eating when you are no longer hungry. That's a big change for me because I used to eat until I was full. Eat slowly to allow your brain to signal that you're hungry. My friend went to Weight Watcher's and they said to eat a portion the size of your fist (not a big portion), wait 20 minutes and if you're still hungry you can eat more food. Now I know that's intense when you're at work, just use that as a guide.

I have also heard that if you're not eating enough, your body will go into starvation mode. I'm not sure if you can quantify the calories-maybe just try to listen to your body-eat if you're hungry and stop eating when you are satiated (not full, uncomfortable). Also, your body can't differentiate between thirst and hunger-your brain will signal that it's hungry before thirsty. So drink water first and then if you're still hungry, you can eat.

Best of luck to you! I will try to practice what I preach-losing weight is hard!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,491 times
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm getting enough calories as well. I'm a female and currently, I'm losing weight - 21 lbs down with 34 more to go. My exercise routine consists of 30 minutes of cardio plus plyometrics for another hour 5 days a week. In the evening, I take 45 minutes of Taekwondo followed by 45 minutes of Krav Maga 3 days a week.

I currently eat clean but try to stay under 1500 calories. The 3 days a week I take Taekwondo and Krav Maga on top of the other training, I feel pooped out by the end of class. I just don't feel as if I'm performing as well as I should.

I've read calorie guides that say for my height (5 foot 3 inches with a small frame) goal weight (115) and intensity of exercise, I should stay around 1500 calories but I wonder if this is healthy for me. I guess I'm a bit confused by the intensity issue. Any thoughts?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Default Just a thought or two

Quote:
...I take 45 minutes of Taekwondo...
Before your workout, do a light run to warm up your muscles, then stretches -- passive, only.

Make sure you leave a slight bend in the elbow when you throw a punch, it will take some stress off the tendons of your shoulders.

Don't use any stretching machines. It's hard to tell when to quit before hurting yourself.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 26,081 times
have you guys heard the latest scam to hit the net its called the hcg diet and they tell you that something called hcg pregnyl can make you lose weight if you stick to the strict diet, but... your only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. Obvisously this is going to work if your not eating. Ive been watching a bunch of people on this diet and i find it funny they think it works.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizon View Post
have you guys heard the latest scam to hit the net its called the hcg diet and they tell you that something called hcg pregnyl can make you lose weight if you stick to the strict diet, but... your only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. Obvisously this is going to work if your not eating. Ive been watching a bunch of people on this diet and i find it funny they think it works.
I will sell them my Urine. I hear that if you drink my urine, and eat only 500 calories a day, you will lose wieght. In fact Ill put it writting.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:38 PM

6 posts, read 34,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I am a 30 year old female 5.5 ft - overweight by about 30 lbs. This won't leave me super skinny, but will leave me very comfortable.

I am trying to work out how many calories I should be eating per day.

I am running on a treadmill 5 days a week and burning between 400 and 800 cals per day (normally between 600 and 700 per day) running.

I know the 2000 cals per day that they used to recommend is too many as those guidelines were based on a much more active lifestyle than we have now.

I am not looking to drop weight quickly, rather I want to scale back and have something I can sustain for the long term.

I gained about 15lbs last year during a house renovation and went from a size 10 - 12 to a size 12 - 14. This is just too big for me and I am not comfortable. I felt good at a size 10 and would like to be a size 8.

I read about a woman who was eating 1200 cals a day and not losing weight. A nutricionist said that her body was in starvation mode and holding on to the weight, so she increased her cals to 1600 and lost a lot more weight.

So is 1600 about right? Should it be more or less? I do NOT want to feel starved, I just won't be able to sustain it if I do.

We are moving to a building with a full gym in about 6 weeks, so I plan to keep running until we move, and then introduce some weights and eliptical and maybe a little swimming.

Any suggestions? Unfortunately I don't lose weight easily, so this will probably take a lot of time. I just want to know what I should be aiming for.

I don't want to hear that I should be aiming for a size 0 or 2 - that's not a size that I think is attractive on most women. I'm sure many people think a size 8 is too small a goal to aim for, but I know that I look great in that kind of range and that's where I want to be! : )

Thanks for any suggestions!
ok first of calories are worth crap i mean crap it just depends on when you eat. like you said you have a after dinner snack you cant do that.
because you go to sleep shortly after so you have no time to burn it off.
i eat dinner at 5:00 no snack after if you ever feal hungry a glass of chocolate milk always fills me up.and i would say 3 meals a day and eat only a third of what you would normally eat. To make you feal more satisfied gets a too small of a plate then fill it up so you feal like you ate a entire plate.anyway hope i helped

Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 19,832 times
Take your bodyweight and times it by 11 for weight loss

LOOK INTO LYLE MCDONALD'S Rapid Fat Loss book

LYLE MCDONALD TRULY KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKIGN ABOUT.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:23 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggerbabe View Post
ok first of calories are worth crap i mean crap it just depends on when you eat. like you said you have a after dinner snack you cant do that.
because you go to sleep shortly after so you have no time to burn it off.
i eat dinner at 5:00 no snack after if you ever feal hungry a glass of chocolate milk always fills me up.and i would say 3 meals a day and eat only a third of what you would normally eat. To make you feal more satisfied gets a too small of a plate then fill it up so you feal like you ate a entire plate.anyway hope i helped

Why do people insist on not eating after a certain time? It's ridiculous! This method you've posted is crap. You're starving yourself, which is unhealthy and unnecessary. You'll screw up your metabolism, which makes it harder to lose weight. You need to eat to keep your metabolism going. If you starve yourself, your metabolism slows down and your body will hold on to every ounce possible. Five or six small meals consisting of protein, carbs and fats (good fats), plus a good exercise program (not hours and hours of cardio), will promote fat loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness