Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,183,863 times

Advertisements

I think its best to keep it simple. These are the steps I took to lose over 45 pounds that has stayed off for years now:

1. Switch obvious bad daily habits out. (activities and intake)
I know its not totally healthy but better for weight loss. I went from all soda to haveing some diet soda and water instead. (just a simple one) If you eat white bread switch to whole wheat...Things like that.

2. Eat at least 3x a day. 5 is ideal. But are you going to stick to that?

3. Make changes you like and can stick to for life. Dont worry about being the best. Worry about being YOUR best.

4. Dont worry about calories until you hit the 130-150 range for females. Under 200 for males.

If you are at a higher weight and stuck just eat less processed foods and more fruits and veggies. It will get the ball rolling again. Pre packaged food has a error range of up to 20% more (or less) calories than what the label says.

Calorie advice:
- Never cut more than 1000 off your daily needs
- Dont go by what gym machines say is your burn rate. Pre-sets can be off. You burn calories based on your personal weight. Also doing the same thing the body adjusts to it and the body burns less after time even though you are doing the same thing. So rotate your exercise if you are at a stall.
- If you are overweight I would stick to eating 2000 calories a day and exercise to learn how to eat right without feeling like you are missing out. You wont gain, you might not lose as fast but its easier feeling and easier to stick to.
__________________________________________________ _

My guy also needs about 3000ish cals. Its correct. His loss goes faster when he eats 2000-2500 cals instead of 1500-2000 because his body isnt stressed out by the calorie cut and its easier to stick to ALL THE TIME.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 AM

37,470 posts, read 45,685,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Also, watch your heart rate when doing cardio. High intense levels of cardio will not burn as much fat compared to lighter more moderate levels.
Completely untrue.

I could explain the science of it here, but this article might be more useful.

The Fact-Burning Zone (washingtonpost.com)

I don't know why people fall for this nonsense...it's not even logical.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 8,203,606 times
Wow this is an old thread!
I do have an update - I'm now back in my old sizes and feel pretty good. I'm also 5.6 and a half not 5.5 - I feel that inch and a half difference is important to note!

On the other hand, I have lost very little actual weight. About 7lbs. Which is weird because I've lost a lot of inches all over.
I still haven't reached my goal even all this time later, but I look pretty ok at a 10, and I'm still working on it! In fact I'm sore all over from my work out this morning!

I'm no longer doing the running as my regular workout - I really felt like I hit a plateau with that and was getting nowhere. I started to doing HIIT on the treadmill and bike, and now I'm doing P90X. Another few weeks and I'll be done with round 1. I'm probably going to do another round just because they say that women need more like 120 days to see the results men get in 90 days.

So that's it - a year later. I still have 20lbs to go, but based on how I am looking now without clothes, I will probably revise that to 10lbs. I'm not a fan of the hard, masculine look on women and want to make sure I avoid that.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 AM

968 posts, read 2,581,909 times
Don't get discouraged. In 2 years I've only lost 28 lbs but I've cut my body fat % from over 22 to under 12. The scale is typically a bad indicator of overall fitness. Focus more on what you see in the mirror. You are probably gaining lean mass which is a good thing.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 8,203,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Don't get discouraged. In 2 years I've only lost 28 lbs but I've cut my body fat % from over 22 to under 12. The scale is typically a bad indicator of overall fitness. Focus more on what you see in the mirror. You are probably gaining lean mass which is a good thing.
Thanks - I think this is true at least to some extent. I have lost inches from my waist/ hips/ chest/ arms, etc. I also fit into clothes that I haven't fited into since the renovation I mention in my OP.

I don't know why I worry about the number on the scale so much - the inches are definitely the more important indicator for me, and my stomach is starting to look pretty good too - all those P90X Ab Ripper X exercises are doing something to my mid section for sure!

I'm still not happy with my upper arms which have always been a struggle, and I don't think my thighs will ever go away no matter how many lbs I lose! I'm also hippy and busty, but very happy with both of those. It's the arms and thighs that still need a lot of work.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM

90 posts, read 622,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Thanks - I think this is true at least to some extent. I have lost inches from my waist/ hips/ chest/ arms, etc. I also fit into clothes that I haven't fited into since the renovation I mention in my OP.

I don't know why I worry about the number on the scale so much - the inches are definitely the more important indicator for me, and my stomach is starting to look pretty good too - all those P90X Ab Ripper X exercises are doing something to my mid section for sure!

I'm still not happy with my upper arms which have always been a struggle, and I don't think my thighs will ever go away no matter how many lbs I lose! I'm also hippy and busty, but very happy with both of those. It's the arms and thighs that still need a lot of work.
Good Luck! And good GOD the Ab Ripper X is like going through hell and back haha, am I glad to get that out of the way for a while each time im finished!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,399,624 times
If you have to ask, you can't afford it!

Oh, wait... that applies to shopping for clothes...

Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,137,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Completely untrue.

I could explain the science of it here, but this article might be more useful.

The Fact-Burning Zone (washingtonpost.com)

I don't know why people fall for this nonsense...it's not even logical.
You are correct however, for those pushing their heart rates to the max....be careful because there's a fine line between high intensity cardio (which is between 80 and 90 percent of your max recommended heart rate) and going over your max. Consistently exceeding your max heart rate could absolutely result in doing more harm than good to your body. Solution....if you are doing HIC get a heart rate monitor that alerts you if you go over your max...They work great.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,601,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
You are correct however, for those pushing their heart rates to the max....be careful because there's a fine line between high intensity cardio (which is between 80 and 90 percent of your max recommended heart rate) and going over your max. Consistently exceeding your max heart rate could absolutely result in doing more harm than good to your body. Solution....if you are doing HIC get a heart rate monitor that alerts you if you go over your max...They work great.
There's no such thing as going over your max. A max by definition means that's as high as it goes. If you're going at 90%, chances are you won't be able to sustain it for more than a minute or two. I can never understand why people are so afraid of pushing themselves to their limits. Most people will never reach their potential with this kind of attitude. I do high intensity intervals where I'm pushing myself to my limit and holding it there for as long as I can. It's usually for only about a minute. Then I jog for a minute and when I'm ready, I push myself back to 100%. This is not dangerous. This is how you challenge your body and get it to improve.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:24 PM

37,470 posts, read 45,685,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Once you start DOING high intensity cardio regularly, you'll understand it. RIght now, it's obvious that you don't. I mean no offense by that, but people that don't regularly push themselves, never achieve the changes that show you how your heart rate REALLY works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness