Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times

Advertisements

I have been sick for about a week or so. Did not work out today. I took a class on Thursday for like 40 minutes and really felt it. So, yes, give your body time to rest. Also got some biking and walking in this weekend and felt ok then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No, I never work out when I am sick. If I feel like crap that is my bodies' way of telling me to rest.
This. I barely get out of bed. And I lay in the same place for hours. Husband checks to see if I'm breathing.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:37 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Yes even though it is not a good idea. I feel like the blood moving etc will help my body recover faster, and sometimes I feel like I need to work out. Sorry to those around me who had to deal with the coughing and sniffling. I totally hate when other people work out while sick, but I couldn't hold out anymore.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:50 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yes even though it is not a good idea. I feel like the blood moving etc will help my body recover faster, and sometimes I feel like I need to work out. Sorry to those around me who had to deal with the coughing and sniffling. I totally hate when other people work out while sick, but I couldn't hold out anymore.
Nope. Rest is the quickest way to get healthy. Your cells need to concentrate all of your energy on fighting the bug. Once you exert yourself you are taking energy away from them and so you more than likely will prolong your illness. And don't be a selfish dick and spread your illness around the gym. What is wrong with people today? No one gives crap about anyone other than themselves.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:40 PM

375 posts, read 297,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Caught a cold in the last 2 months due to the fluctuating temperatures it was inevitable.

Usually I'll run or bike if I have a cold won't go to the gym. Only time I wouldn't exercise if I have a fever 100 degrees or higher or a stomach bug.

Wondering if making myself worse by exercising. Yesterday went out for a run started put at 60 degrees so had a long sleeve shirt, but by the end of the run the sun was going down temp lowered to 10 degrees. Shortly after had a fever and the cold seemed to reer it's ugly head again.

Curious do you rest or exercise?

Might rest it our next time I catch a cold again.

Yeah when I was younger and less educated on fitness and heath I had a little theory that when I got not with a cold or the flu bug I could go for a hard long run of a sauna or whatever other type of intense cardio workout, and simply sweat out the illness.

Wrong! LOL. It doesn't work that way, I found out the hard way. It's terrible. Don't do it. If you're sick stay home and rest and swill the fluids. Period. Don't let anybody tell you different, mate.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:44 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Non scientific, but I do keep a workout journal to track weight lifting progress, I also put side notes about anything special going on that day, lack of sleep, skipped a meal, had extra calories, etc including was I sick. Doing workout as close to 100% as possible when I was sick is correlated to recovery faster. Versus purposely going easy. Is it because I was really not that sick so I could workout close to 100%? I don't know, but it is a very strong correlation.
Very similar for me.

I tend to follow elnina's suggestion without having realized it - when I have symptoms above the neck, I push myself to workout & find it helps to 'flush' things out. I'll try to do more isolated workouts, running or perhaps swimming laps at the gym (pool saturated with chlorine & I'll shower extensively before & after.) I try to avoid anything touching equipment in the gym where I could pass something along. My experience has been, like peequi, that I recover much more quickly doing so. I've tracked it enough times that there HAS to be significance to it.

Mind you, if I have something like pneumonia, I'm resting & taking it easy until recovered. Haven't had that serious an illness in many years; I'm hoping it has something to do with taking care of myself, exercising & staying ahead of the curve.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Caught a cold in the last 2 months due to the fluctuating temperatures it was inevitable.

Usually I'll run or bike if I have a cold won't go to the gym. Only time I wouldn't exercise if I have a fever 100 degrees or higher or a stomach bug.

Wondering if making myself worse by exercising. Yesterday went out for a run started put at 60 degrees so had a long sleeve shirt, but by the end of the run the sun was going down temp lowered to 10 degrees. Shortly after had a fever and the cold seemed to reer it's ugly head again.

Curious do you rest or exercise?

Might rest it our next time I catch a cold again.
I've posted this article on this site a few times now. It covers this scenario and any contingencies.

Training when Sick - Q&A : Bodyrecomposition

The TL;DR version:

Quote:
But that’s the general rule: if it’s neck or above, you can train; below the neck and you should skip training.

But even if you can, should you train? Again, the answer is that it depends. But here it depends more on you and less on the fact that you’re sick. It depends on whether or not you have any self-control. Because if you don’t, you better not train unless you want to make it worse.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
When you're sick with a viral infection, there's nothing you can physically do to speed recovery other than rest. Exercising will prolong your recovery because the body needs energy to create immunity against viral attacks. It needs a lot of energy to heat up and create a fever so it can combat against viruses.

The old saying of sweating it out will speed recovery doesn't apply here.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:36 PM

375 posts, read 297,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
When you're sick with a viral infection, there's nothing you can physically do to speed recovery other than rest. Exercising will prolong your recovery because the body needs energy to create immunity against viral attacks. It needs a lot of energy to heat up and create a fever so it can combat against viruses.

The old saying of sweating it out will speed recovery doesn't apply here.

The sweating it out woo does not apply anywhere. LOL. It's bunk. The pathology of any illness does not work that way; you cannot eliminate the causal virus or bacterial infection by excreting it through your, well, exocrine (sweating) system. So don't do it. If you're sick stay home and rest. Take a day off. Exercising will do you no good, and may even prolong the length of your illness. The physiological reasons for this can get complex, but it has to do primarily with the fact that while engaging in exercise you deter the body's resources that it uses in accord with your immune system to fight off and finally vanquish the infecting agents causing the illness.

We have people on this thread I noted that seem the type who are not hands on. By this I mean they're not really serious athletes like some of us, but instead like to sit at their PC and research stuff and paste excerpts and links. Look, this is the problem with the internet and its community: you can always find some sort of info--no matter how spurious--to back up your claim. So, allow me offer, as a person who has many times tried each method--exercising while sick and also just staying home and resting and drinking fluids--that the latter is the best option. And by a long shot. At the risk of inviting further argument from the aforementioned sort of sedentary Google freaks, I am going to cap this by saying: there is no exception to that rule of NOT exercising while sick. There is simple no reason for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness