Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 728 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please advice some good exercises to develop speed and balance for 10-year-old boy at home? One new resistance band set from timberbrother and two 5 lb dumbbells are all we have right now. Is there any equipment need to be involved? He’s already starting some short jogs. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 06:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
I don't know how much you can do for speed at that age. Maybe some air squats.

For balance, it's relatively simple. Stand on one leg (I do this while I brush my teeth). Then stand on the other leg. Too easy? Stand on a pillow. Still too easy? Have him close his eyes.

You could also invest in a slackline to improve balance.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
what are you trying to accomplish? does he have less balance/speed than other kids? you might need a medical professional to help with that. or do you want him to be faster than other kids for some reason? a coach would help or you risk injuring him at that age with random strength training

running would be simplest for a normal kid. longer/faster is goal and easy to understand. have him run on not flat courses to add difficulty

Old 11-18-2016, 07:45 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytns View Post
Can anyone please advice some good exercises to develop speed and balance for 10-year-old boy at home? One new resistance band set from ............... and two 5 lb dumbbells are all we have right now. Is there any equipment need to be involved? He’s already starting some short jogs. THANKS!
Some more info would be useful. Will this be for a specific sport? Are you looking for speed in terms of running (sprints or distance?)? Or speed in terms of boxing/martial arts? Or just faster reflexes? Or, as asked above, is he not as good or equal as other 10 year olds he's around?

Without knowing any specifics as to what you are really seeking, I'd say in the most general terms is to enroll him into martial arts (specifically Japanese style or even Kenpo, NOT a grappling art). Or, you can put him into a gymnastics class. That would be great as well.

Another alternative is to find a Crossift gym in your area that has a Crossfit Kids program.

This could also just be a way to drive traffic to the company name (which I deleted above) in a way to skirt the spam/advertising ban on CDs TOS. Right Shenzhen? The name is totally irrelevant.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:59 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
I am a large fan of aerobic exercise for young boyos. You may find out more about this aerobic exercise here:

Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
I am a large fan of aerobic exercise for young boyos. You may find out more about this aerobic exercise here:

Really Cream? More of your homosexual fantasies? You are exhibiting troll behavior.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytns View Post
Can anyone please advice some good exercises to develop speed and balance for 10-year-old boy at home? One new resistance band set from timberbrother and two 5 lb dumbbells are all we have right now. Is there any equipment need to be involved? He’s already starting some short jogs. THANKS!
Invest in a Bosu Ball. It is a great tool for balance and you can use it for many, many different exercises. Its one of my favorite pieces of equipment at the gym.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:05 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Really Cream? More of your homosexual fantasies? You are exhibiting troll behavior.
What's homosex about aerobics? The video has both men and women.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:05 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Honestly, at 10 years old, I would keep it simple with some calisthenics.

You can go pretty far with Push ups, Pull ups and Squats. The key to calisthenics is using internal breathing to create tension. That's how you build strength. Really pay attention to breathing patterns. You can make light weight feel heavy.

Also, this isn't something he should do everyday. Twice a week is enough honestly. And after a couple warm-up sets of easier versions of the same exercise, two or three work sets is all that's necessary.

You don't need weights at 10 years old. He needs to be able to fundamentally control his own body before he gets involved with moving external objects.

When he gets older, maybe 16 or so, then you can introduce weights and kettlebells and things like that. If you build him up with kettlebell first, I think he'll have a more solid foundation for weightlifting, but it's not necessary. Personally, I prefer kettlebells to conventional weights, but it took me years to realize the optimal program for my sport.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:11 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
What's homosex about aerobics? The video has both men and women.
Cream, it's a video skewed towards homosexuality. That it was filled with some females does not change it. Aerobics are not homosexual. They are simply aerobics. Cheesy/sweet smiling "men" posing in skin tight outfits are homosexual.
Please....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFpxO1Zq9Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness