Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 09:54 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,232,576 times

Advertisements

I'm 5'11 and weight 180. I'm trying to get rid of some fat around my belly but I'm also trying to gain weight for mass muscle.

I workout my abs at the gym by doing this exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bszgACEscFA

Does anyone else have any other tips? Any other workouts I should do? Perhaps diet tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 10:25 PM

320 posts, read 352,400 times
If you want to be able to see your abs you'll need to keep your fat intake low. Abs IMO start in the kitchen. At the gym, you want to focus on strong contractions and really getting a good squeeze. I prefer planking on a stability ball, cable crunches, and my favorite is stability ball crunches (with hands behind the head and arms in line with back plane). It's not so much the quantity to stress, but more so the quality of every rep.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:00 AM

166 posts, read 277,814 times
Yep, abs are made and lost in the kitchen. Cut out crappy fake processed foods and eat clean. Try to cook more, it's almost always
guaranteed to be healthier.

Great thing about abs is that they're a small muscle so you can work on them several times a week (unlike say, your glutes or quads which need more time to recover)

People think abs are this great unknown mystery that there's some great secret to unlocking.

It's simpler than you know. Clean diet, exercise frequently, get enough rest each night.

Source: ab-haver for almost 15 years.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:48 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,789,580 times
Like everyone says, abs are about diet. But you can enhance them by working our entire core, not just your abs. Mix it up. Also, there are many different ab exercises, do not stick to the same one all the time.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,910,072 times
You can't bulk up everywhere while maintaining abs. And no, doing kneeups won't make a difference.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:44 AM

18,918 posts, read 27,417,959 times
he Abdominal muscles sit on the front and sides of the lower half of the torso, originating along the rib cage and attaching along the pelvis.

To be specific, abs connect to inguinal ligament connected to iliac crest and pubic bone.
Lifting legs, or femurs, does not really do much to abs, unless you CURL THE PELVIS and THAT is very hard to do. On captains chair. So you start with horizontal bench, progress through incline bench, until you can actually curl pelvis on vertical apparatus.
Nothing is better for abs than cyclic sets. Full core, fast repetitions, 12-15 reps, no rest between cycle components, 3 to 5 cycles in program. 5 being rather advanced user.
Bulk all you want to. Cycles will burn it out. Also, as I said many times before, based on personal EXPERIENCE, wear non breathable wraparound your abs. A sweat suite or whatever. Even wide wool scarf will do.
Watch your water intake. Too much fluid stores in fat tissue.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:30 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,910,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
he Abdominal muscles sit on the front and sides of the lower half of the torso, originating along the rib cage and attaching along the pelvis.

To be specific, abs connect to inguinal ligament connected to iliac crest and pubic bone.
Lifting legs, or femurs, does not really do much to abs, unless you CURL THE PELVIS and THAT is very hard to do. On captains chair. So you start with horizontal bench, progress through incline bench, until you can actually curl pelvis on vertical apparatus.
Nothing is better for abs than cyclic sets. Full core, fast repetitions, 12-15 reps, no rest between cycle components, 3 to 5 cycles in program. 5 being rather advanced user.
Bulk all you want to. Cycles will burn it out. Also, as I said many times before, based on personal EXPERIENCE, wear non breathable wraparound your abs. A sweat suite or whatever. Even wide wool scarf will do.
Yes, excess water intake can make you fat. Just look at whales.

Last edited by Cream1; 11-21-2016 at 01:40 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,882,196 times
Quote:

Even though the scientific talk at the beginning of this post might make you seem knowledgeable, once you get to the actual advice, you've really got it wrong. I hate to be so blunt, but it's important for the OP to avoid following your advice because it could cause problems.

Wearing something non-breathable wrapped around the midsection will do nothing to trim fat. Following this advice might not be so bad, since it's useless but also will probably do no harm as long as the non-breathable material covers one small are like the midsection. However, if this gave the OP the idea to take the next step and wear non-breathable clothing all over, that could cause overheating and could potentially be dangerous, so it's best to avoid non-breathable material altogether.

Advising someone to "watch" the intake of water during exercise is another potentially dangerous piece of advice. Drinking plenty of water won't make you fat, and failing to stay properly hydrated could lead to overheating. That would be uncomfortable at best, and in extreme cases could be dangerous.

I usually don't like to really knock someone's post (unless maybe it's someone trolling). In this case, though, I hate to do this, but OP please ignore the advice in the quoted post.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,232,576 times
Quote:
Nothing is better for abs than cyclic sets.
What are cyclic sets? I googled and I only saw stuff about musical notes.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:53 PM

10,492 posts, read 7,627,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What are cyclic sets? I googled and I only saw stuff about musical notes.
I think they meant the bicycle motion, on your back.
My unsolicited advice is to forget about gaining weight. 180 at 5'11" is plenty heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness