Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 12:32 PM

876 posts, read 996,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I guess Crossfit is not going to interest you. Okay, how about powerlifting. Powerlifters focus on the three basics. Overhead pressing is not part of the main training - mostly barbell bench work done in pyramids. Powerlifters do focus on triceps work because it improves your bench press. I bet that would be a perfect fit for you and powerlifters have big chests and shoulders.
Powerlifting - yeah! Life is too short to be small.
I don't limit myself to narrow definitions like "bodybuilding" or "powerlifting". I just do a combination of weighted bodyweight work and strength training for the purpose of being fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,434,883 times
Hmmm....bodybuilding and powerlifting could sound narrow. How about creating a workout manual with observations that you have made with injuries and lifting and how to train to avoid them. You could call it something like "Fitbits" or "Fit, Fitter and Fittest Training for the Cautious Athlete" or "ComboFit" or "The Big Safe and Bigger." There are many people that have made a lot of money off of training ideas and market these on infomercials or in fitness magazines. Billy Banks and Tae Boe from the 80's immediately comes to mind. Keep in mind that "Education is Important but Big Biceps is Importanter"

Old 11-22-2016, 01:30 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,542,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
All of those muscles will be worked anyway even if you don't do any overhead press assuming you have even a half-decent program. Also, shoulders aren't exactly one muscle. They are 3 muscles that are used by different types of exercises: The front delts, the side delts, and the back delts. I am sure they are generally called some other fancier more complicated sounding names but whatever. The overhead press only properly trains the front delt, which is the same shoulder muscle that is used during chest presses. The back delts are used more during pulling exercises like rowing. The other muscles you mentioned are trained anyway when you do squats or deadlifts or some variant thereof.
Look, I understand the basics of weight training. I deadlift 500 lbs, squat 475 lbs and bench 320 lbs. I know what exercises work which muscles. Standing and pressing weight directly overhead is not the same as sitting in a chair using the chest press machine. The overhead press is a compound exercise, not an isolation exercise for the front delts. lol

Old 11-22-2016, 02:50 PM

876 posts, read 996,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Hmmm....bodybuilding and powerlifting could sound narrow. How about creating a workout manual with observations that you have made with injuries and lifting and how to train to avoid them. You could call it something like "Fitbits" or "Fit, Fitter and Fittest Training for the Cautious Athlete" or "ComboFit" or "The Big Safe and Bigger." There are many people that have made a lot of money off of training ideas and market these on infomercials or in fitness magazines. Billy Banks and Tae Boe from the 80's immediately comes to mind. Keep in mind that "Education is Important but Big Biceps is Importanter"
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The overhead press is a compound exercise, not an isolation exercise for the front delts. lol
Yes I know that it also uses the triceps and partially the chest. My point was that the front delts are the only parts of the shoulder the overhead press uses to any meaningful degree, and that this part of the shoulder is trained during presses anyway.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Yes I know that it also uses the triceps and partially the chest. My point was that the front delts are the only parts of the shoulder the overhead press uses to any meaningful degree, and that this part of the shoulder is trained during presses anyway.
The overhead press also works the traps. Anyway, I'm done here. You keep doing what you do and I'll keep doing what I do. It sounds like you know a lot more than I do about weight training.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:17 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,905,331 times
I'm not losing my thick, solid, tight, and joocy pecs over the opinion of an Internet dork

Old 11-22-2016, 09:22 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,175,810 times
The overhead press is a controversial movement. I think it's due to the rigid structure of the barbell, which keeps your hands in an unnatural position. Some people do develop problems from this.

Dumbell and Kettlebell presses are probably safer alternatives. One could also use headstand pushups to develop their shoulders, so long as they are using the correct technique.

If you are completely unable to do overhead presses, a person could do turkish get ups for shoulder stability or do 90 degree bench presses.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,434,883 times
What Jobster says - Kettlebell presses, headstand pushups and Turkish get ups. This brings us back to Crossfit. I am telling ya Hakkarin - Crossfit. Don't Use Machines, Become one.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM

708 posts, read 820,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
There's nothing wrong with the overhead press. It's a great exercise.

Skip to 1:50 to see the skeleton showing the joints etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3r2lytys8

Old 11-23-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
Skip to 1:50 to see the skeleton showing the joints etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3r2lytys8
So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness