Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:50 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I'm afraid I've fallen into the fat former athlete trap. I've hit overweight BMI (25). I have barely worked out in two years since quitting my sport. I have done a few workouts here and there, but nothing consistent. I burned out.

I don't even know how to balance it. I'm used to my day revolving around me and my sport. How much do you train a day? Every day? Breaks?? If I do 30-45 min a few times a week, is that enough? My sport was powerlifting. I'm not keen on serious strength goals, I'd like to aim for a more balanced fitness overall.

This is what I've done this past week:
Day 1: 25 min kettlebells
Day 2&3: off (sore)
Day 4: 15 min kettlebells, 30 min hard treadmill hike
Day 5: 30 min hard treadmill hike
Day 5: 10 min kettlebells light w/recovery stretch
Day 6: Probably nothing, up all night with sick baby
Day 7 (Tomorrow): No idea. Not sure what direction I'm going with this.

Ideas?
After stopping a sport and getting fat, I just found another sport. I can't seem to go back to them after I've stopped competing. I'm just sort of sick of it. When I stopped a sport similar to yours, I had no interest in going into a gym. Just couldn't do it. So finally I started an outdoor sport, and got really involved in that. Just try a different sport, just as a hobby. Could be anything, from hockey to swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
I used to go to bodybuilding.com and pick a training program one after another. muscleandfitness.com is also a great site. I read a lot of articles from both those sites. After having done crossfit and weightlifting, I like to make up my workouts with a similar crossfit style but choosing my own specific workouts. People split their week differently but my week will usually look something like this:

Monday: legs + abs
Tuesday: back/biceps
Wednesday: Chest/triceps/shoulders
Thursday: rest or cardio/abs
Friday: legs + abs again
Sat: rest or chest/triceps
Sun: rest or should do yoga but I don't :/

A typical workout day looks something like this:

1. warm up (mobility stretches, foam roller, 5 min on the treadmill or rowing machine)
2. a compound lift (ie: squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, etc.)
3. 5-10 mins of nonstop HIIT taking rests only when needed (ie: 3-4 rounds of 10 KB swings, 10 burpees, 10 inverted rows)
4. 3-4 sets of targeted muscle groups (ie: bicep curls, tricep pressdowns, etc.)
5. Finish it off with either abs work or 10-20 min of cardio
6. Stretch

Usually will take me about an hour and a half to two hours. I also like to superset my workouts.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
I'm afraid I've fallen into the fat former athlete trap. I've hit overweight BMI (25). I have barely worked out in two years since quitting my sport. I have done a few workouts here and there, but nothing consistent. I burned out.

I don't even know how to balance it. I'm used to my day revolving around me and my sport. How much do you train a day? Every day? Breaks?? If I do 30-45 min a few times a week, is that enough? My sport was powerlifting. I'm not keen on serious strength goals, I'd like to aim for a more balanced fitness overall.

This is what I've done this past week:
Day 1: 25 min kettlebells
Day 2&3: off (sore)
Day 4: 15 min kettlebells, 30 min hard treadmill hike
Day 5: 30 min hard treadmill hike
Day 5: 10 min kettlebells light w/recovery stretch
Day 6: Probably nothing, up all night with sick baby
Day 7 (Tomorrow): No idea. Not sure what direction I'm going with this.

Ideas?
You need to focus on what you eat if you want to lose weight. I work out 5 days a week (mon to fri) before work. I get to the gym around 7;30 and finish at 8;50 am. I do a different workout regimen for each day. Currently, i have the below and i switch them up every week. My workouts are usually 1 hr to 1hr 15mins. I do a yoga/stretch in the AM when i wake up and in the PM before going to sleep.

Dumbell work out finish with cardio (bike or elliptical machine)
Kickboxing finish with cardio (jump rope)
All Cardio (treadmill, stairmaster, bike, rowing machine)
Barbell work out finish with cardio (treadmill or stairmaster)
Bodyweight workout finish with cardio (jump rope or treadmill)
Boxing finish with cardio (jump rope)
Russian Kettlebell with cardio (jump rope)

Stop with junk food if you are eating it. Limit the alcohol and soda if you are drinking it. Were you taking any supplements when you were an athlete? (creatine, bodybuilding shakes, etc)

I recommend the below books:

Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy - Bret Contreras
Strength Training Anatomy-3rd Edition - Frederic Delavier
Delavier's Stretching Anatomy - Frederic Delavier, Michael Gundill, Jean-Pierre Clemenceau

Old 01-24-2017, 06:13 AM

98 posts, read 167,690 times
Quote:
I am now entering the final stage of this program (11 weeks of faithful training). Down to a 28" waist and 40" hips, a size 8 - started at 30.5" and 41.5" hips. Would really, really love to get down another 2" on each! Not really checking the scale, just concentrating on the lifts
Wow, great job!

I think I remember you from bnb...

Anyways, how do you find the time to do this program with your busy lifestyle? Did you have to sacrifice something? I also have 2 little kids, work full-time, have my own side business, and try to keep my house from falling apart. Finding time to workout is the least of my worries but I know I should.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:27 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannah14 View Post
Wow, great job!

I think I remember you from bnb...

Anyways, how do you find the time to do this program with your busy lifestyle? Did you have to sacrifice something? I also have 2 little kids, work full-time, have my own side business, and try to keep my house from falling apart. Finding time to workout is the least of my worries but I know I should.
I get up at 5:30am, head down to my home gym (the key to all this) and slog it out. I always chug a coffee and occasionally an energy pill but that was only the first few weeks. My biggest secret is that I have two tablets and leave the kids to play minecraft during this time

I tested my 1RMs yesterday, to give me a "starting point"
Press: 66lbs
Bench: 88lbs
Squat: 136lbs
Deadlift: 176lbs

These are much, much lower than in my past but it's a start considering it hurt to do an unweighted squat in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness