Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:14 AM

674 posts, read 608,131 times

Advertisements

Speaking again as a physical therapist, I fail to see how arching, or not arching your back (excessively) would make a difference. Now, if you have a back condition (slipped disk, foramen stenosis, etc) then you should of course be extra careful and avoid any movement that makes the problem worse.

Last edited by 2nccoast; 12-04-2016 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM

320 posts, read 353,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Speaking again as a physical therapist, I fail to see how arching, or not arching your back (excessively) would make a difference. Now, if you have a back condition (slipped disk, foramen stenosis, etc) then you should of course be extra careful and avoid any movement that makes the problem worse.
I arch my lower back a little when I'm benching in combination with retracting my scapula, keeping my tail planted and feet on the floor. From a personal standpoint, it definitely allows me better isolation. I feel a much better pump and physically speaking have obtained results I am happy with.

However, I will admit it can be stressful on your lower back depending on how much of an arch you use. I've seen some people that look like they are literally trying to bend backwards on a bench which I imagine will lead to future problems. But hey, who likes being corrected on form at the gym LOL

Old 12-04-2016, 12:44 PM

320 posts, read 353,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I don't do half-a**ed benching. I use the full range of motion. When you squat do you go a quarter of the way down? Letting the bar touch your chest isn't resting, you amateur. Now, pause reps are different but still more difficult than the crap you're doing, especially with heavy weight. Also, using full range of motion is more difficult than the half-reps you're doing.
Well that wasn't very nice South Sider. I didn't say you were wrong, I simply disagreed. While I respect your viewpoint and the way you do things your way, I added my cents.

Allow me to respectively correct you. I am far from an amateur, I didn't say you do "half-a**ed benching," and no, I do not go a quarter of the way down.

I simply disagree that a proper bench press is judged by the bar touching your chest. A half-rep is no where near as close distance-wise between your chest and the bar as it is stopping before the bar hits your chest. By not allowing the bar to touch your chest, you're maintaining a more constant tension on the chest muscles during each rep.

So, if you're one of those people that have a habit of bouncing the bar off your chest or letting it rest (duly noted, NOT Chicago South Sider), then this method makes it near impossible for that to happen.

Oh yeah, and I sincerely apologize if I offended you

Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
I have to disagree. When I bench, I never let the bar touch my chest. I maintain the weight throughout my whole set. Rest when you've completed the set, not in the middle of a rep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
Well that wasn't very nice South Sider. I didn't say you were wrong, I simply disagreed. While I respect your viewpoint and the way you do things your way, I added my cents.

Allow me to respectively correct you. I am far from an amateur, I didn't say you do "half-a**ed benching," and no, I do not go a quarter of the way down.

I simply disagree that a proper bench press is judged by the bar touching your chest. A half-rep is no where near as close distance-wise between your chest and the bar as it is stopping before the bar hits your chest. By not allowing the bar to touch your chest, you're maintaining a more constant tension on the chest muscles during each rep.

So, if you're one of those people that have a habit of bouncing the bar off your chest or letting it rest (duly noted, NOT Chicago South Sider), then this method makes it near impossible for that to happen.

Oh yeah, and I sincerely apologize if I offended you
You can do it any way you like, but fact is you are not doing a correct bench. Even better, with your method, you are able to put much more weight up than someone who does it properly. Sort of like the guy who goes around claiming they can do fifty pullups, but fails to mention they are kipping.

By your logic, someone can simply unrack the bar and call it a "bench press".

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but it is not a bench press.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness