Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:03 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times

Advertisements

Not a power lifter just excersizing. So many opinions on this. I need to minimize rotator cuff risk. So do I go with the elbows in, lower below nipples, stop when arms are parallel with back method?

I have long arms this leaves about a 6 inch gap between the bar and my chest. Am I still hitting the pecs properly?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 01:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Not a power lifter just excersizing. So many opinions on this. I need to minimize rotator cuff risk. So do I go with the elbows in, lower below nipples, stop when arms are parallel with back method?

I have long arms this leaves about a 6 inch gap between the bar and my chest. Am I still hitting the pecs properly?

Thoughts?
Using dumbbells would likely be easier on your shoulders, especially if you use a neutral grip. Regardless of whether you bench using a bar or dumbbells, the closer you keep your elbows to your torso, the less strain you will place on your rotator cuffs. The more you flare your elbows outward, the more you will stress your shoulder capsules (but you will also better stimulate your pectorals). Elbows flared out recruits more pectoral muscle fiber but also stresses the rotator cuffs.

Chest pressing may not be the best chest developer if you have any shoulder issues. You may be better off using cables and/or machines. Many of the newer machine weights are very effective at stimulating individual muscles while minimizing joint strain (but bodybuilding and weight-lifting purists will balk at this assertion). Dips can also be very effective.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:41 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,085 times
Weight is more important than form when it comes to bench

Old 11-29-2016, 03:53 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
Weight is more important than form when it comes to bench
That's terrible advice. Form is always first, weight comes second.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times
How about the part about stopping when your arms are parallel with your back ?

I did it this way today for the first time. Feels weird leaving that big gap between the bar and my chest...

Old 11-29-2016, 04:14 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,035 times
You should take a look at the floor press. It's essentially a bench press that you perform while lying on the floor. Unless you dig holes around you, you cannot go any lower than 90 degrees. It's a great lift and likely safer than the bench press for your rotator cuffs. Also, I think it's best to keep your elbows tucked in whether bench pressing or floor pressing.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/ma...he-floor-press

Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 PM

674 posts, read 607,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
How about the part about stopping when your arms are parallel with your back ?
Physical Therapist here. The pectoralis major is a large, fan-shaped muscle that has (IMO) a relatively small attachment/insertion into the humerus. By stopping when your arms are parallel with your back, you avoid putting too much strain on that attachment (or tendon, as we call it). If you are young, it may not matter much and your arms could probably go further down without hurting anything. But tissues lose their elasticity as you grow older and so you should be more conservative, just to be on the safe side.

Don't fret about the gap between the bar and your chest as it's dependent on your individual body geometry: some folks have long forearms (big gap), others have short ones (smaller gap).

Old 11-29-2016, 06:12 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
All about tucking your shoulders in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6I0z_d4xqY

I see people do it the 'wrong' way but I can't as it will ruin my shoulders. I always tuck in. I learned this when I first watched this video 7 years ago. I used to do it the wrong way and it always would be hell on my joints, even doing pushups.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,035 times
You could also consider using the Turkish get up to train your stabilizer muscles and do push ups to train the range of motion. You can make the push ups more difficult by using tension. Just ensure your form is proper, as with anything. Good luck and God Bless.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
If the bar doesn't touch your chest then you aren't performing the bench press correctly. You are doing some other type of exercise. I bench with a close grip, elbows tucked in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness