Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. Carbs aren't bad for you; bad carbs are bad for you. A balanced diet is key. Cutting out an entire food group is not healthy and leads to rebound hunger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and causes extremely egregious negative health ramifications for anyone that consumes it, regardless of whether or not they are celiac or have a gluten sensitivity. I stick with quinoa, rice, and starches. I can have a larger meal and be satiated for 1/2 to 3/4 of a day and not be hungry until the following day. Back in the days when I was consuming modern wheat, I would be hungry two or three hours or less after a meal. Now, I realize how terribly abnormal that is, and I think Americans have gotten tricked over time since changes in the food supply occurred somewhat gradually.
There is no scientific evidence that wheat is bad for you. Refined starches are the problem; whole grains are good for you. Many doctors hawk many diets for the primary purpose of lining their pockets. But actual evidence from scientific studies is not to be found.

Should You Worry About Wheat? | Berkeley Wellness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 03:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There is no scientific evidence that wheat is bad for you. Refined starches are the problem; whole grains are good for you. Many doctors hawk many diets for the primary purpose of lining their pockets. But actual evidence from scientific studies is not to be found.

Yes, whole grains from sources other than wheat are fine.
Scientists Find Solid Evidence for Non-Celiac Wheat Sensitivity | Mental Floss

"Other medical conditions related to gluten proteins
There are many reports of the association of wheat, and particularly wheat proteins, with medical conditions, ranging from improbable reports in the popular press to scientific studies in the medical literature. Not surprisingly, they include autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis which may be more prevalent in coeliac patients and relatives (Neuhausen et al., 2008). It is perhaps easier to envisage mechanisms for relationships between such diseases which have a common immunological basis (Hvatum et al., 2006) than to explain a well-established association between wheat, coeliac disease, and schizophrenia (Singh and Roy, 1975; Kalaydiian et al., 2006) Other reported associations include ones with sporadic idiopathic ataxia (gluten ataxia) (Hadjivassiliou et al., 2003), migraines (Grant, 1979), acute psychoses (Rix et al., 1985), and a range of neurological illnesses (Hadjivassiliou et al., 2002). An association with autism has also been reported (Lucarelli et al., 1995) with some physicians recommending a gluten-free, casein-free diet (Elder, 2008).

Some of these effects may be mediated via the immune system but effects which are not immune-mediated are notoriously difficult to define and diagnose. However, they could result from the release within the body of bioactive peptides, derived particularly from gluten protein. Thus, gluten has been reported to be a source of a range of such peptides including opioid peptides (exorphins) (Takahashi et al., 2000; Yoshikawa et al., 2003) and an inhibitor of angiotensin I-converting enzyme (Motoi and Kodama, 2003) (see also reviews by Dziuba et al., 1999; Yamamoto et al., 2003). However, these activities were demonstrated in vitro and their in vivo significance has not been established."

Old 01-09-2017, 12:57 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Changing the diet to Whole Foods vs packaged also benefits by expanding ones culinary skills, which is more work standing and cooking/cleaning vs grab and go.

Every little thing adds to a great big thing.
Whole Foods is a pretty expensive place to shop.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 AM

208 posts, read 257,713 times
I am very slim and eat carbs. I do not eat much meat--maybe a tiny bit of meat (3 oz) once a week or perhaps a small amount of fish or tuna, again, only once a week. Most of my daily food is veggies and whole grains. Most of my protein is plant based protein (soy, beans, nuts). I eat egg whites and some nonfat dairy. Believe me, maintaining my weight is mostly due to food choices, portion control, and exercise. It's NOT due to eating meat, meat, meat.

I'm extremely lean and slim. Most of my female peers all look like pudge balls and yet they are eating gobs of meat. Most of my female peers do not exercise and they consume way too big portions. I see them chowing down on huge plates of food, like, what are you doing?

Personally I think a raw diet is the ideal. I would like to eat about 80% of my food as raw but it doesn't work well for me in the winter when it's cold. I need hot food. Hot veg soups are great. I eat whole grain hot cereals. Beans and brown rice, baked yams. I eat whole wheat pasta.

There is nothing wrong with carbs.

A huge piece of meat has no nutrients other than some protein, which you can get from vegetable sources, and meat has tons of saturated fat and cholesterol, which isn't good for anyone. Heart disease is the leading cause of poor health and death in our country yet people continue to shovel meat into their mouths like it's a health food. Meat is NOT a health food. I'm not saying no meat at all, I'm saying to cut down and have only small portions of it. If you read any medical advice out there, it says to eat a very small meat portion. Maybe 3 oz.

The other issue is that people are sauteing food in oil too much. My sister refuses to eat any carbs but she's not dropping any weight at all because she roasts all of her veggies in oil all the time and eats coconut oil. Coconut oil is very bad for you, please look at the labels. If you have high cholesterol, coconut oil is bad. Roasting veggies in tons of oil all the time is bad. No wonder she's not dropping any weight.

Please do your homework. Don't just sit around eating meat and a tiny portion of veggies and think you are being healthy.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
A huge piece of meat has no nutrients other than some protein
I'm curious where you are getting your dietary information, because you really couldn't be more wrong. Taken from page 118 of The Protein Book:

Quote:
Red meat contains high amounts of other nutrients including zinc, iron, B12, creatine and conjugated linoleic acid. Both zinc and iron are important to optimal athletic performance and many athletes are deficient in them (3,4). This is especially true for female athletes who are at much greater risk for iron deficiency and anemia due to blood loss during their menstrual cycle (4).

The iron in red meat is the most bioavailable form (called heme iron); heme iron is absorbed roughly ten times more effectively than the type of iron found in vegetable foods (called non-heme iron). As mentioned above in the section on fowl, a recent study suggests that some factor found in both beef and chicken improves the absorption of nonheme iron (5).
Quote:
Simply put, in addition to its protein content, red meat is a nutritional powerhouse containing many nutrients of importance to both overall health and athletic performance. Given that most of the potential health problems associated with red meat can be avoided by consuming leaner cuts, I simply see no reason not to consume it regularly
Quote:
which you can get from vegetable sources
True, but plant based proteins are largely inferior to their meat and dairy counterparts.

Quote:
and meat has tons of saturated fat and cholesterol, which isn't good for anyone.
As mentioned above, this can easily be fixed by consuming leaner cuts or trimming the fat.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I am very slim and eat carbs. I do not eat much meat--maybe a tiny bit of meat (3 oz) once a week or perhaps a small amount of fish or tuna, again, only once a week. Most of my daily food is veggies and whole grains. Most of my protein is plant based protein (soy, beans, nuts). I eat egg whites and some nonfat dairy. Believe me, maintaining my weight is mostly due to food choices, portion control, and exercise. It's NOT due to eating meat, meat, meat.

I'm extremely lean and slim. Most of my female peers all look like pudge balls and yet they are eating gobs of meat. Most of my female peers do not exercise and they consume way too big portions. I see them chowing down on huge plates of food, like, what are you doing?

Personally I think a raw diet is the ideal. I would like to eat about 80% of my food as raw but it doesn't work well for me in the winter when it's cold. I need hot food. Hot veg soups are great. I eat whole grain hot cereals. Beans and brown rice, baked yams. I eat whole wheat pasta.

There is nothing wrong with carbs.

A huge piece of meat has no nutrients other than some protein, which you can get from vegetable sources, and meat has tons of saturated fat and cholesterol, which isn't good for anyone. Heart disease is the leading cause of poor health and death in our country yet people continue to shovel meat into their mouths like it's a health food. Meat is NOT a health food. I'm not saying no meat at all, I'm saying to cut down and have only small portions of it. If you read any medical advice out there, it says to eat a very small meat portion. Maybe 3 oz.

The other issue is that people are sauteing food in oil too much. My sister refuses to eat any carbs but she's not dropping any weight at all because she roasts all of her veggies in oil all the time and eats coconut oil. Coconut oil is very bad for you, please look at the labels. If you have high cholesterol, coconut oil is bad. Roasting veggies in tons of oil all the time is bad. No wonder she's not dropping any weight.

Please do your homework. Don't just sit around eating meat and a tiny portion of veggies and think you are being healthy.
Great post. I agree with almost all of it except the raw food thing, but that is splitting hairs. Humans do just fine without animal proteins. The demonization of carbs and whole grains comes from brilliant marketers of books to sell the desperate overweight people.
I am not knocking anyone who eats animal proteins, I eat them occasionally. But to say they are essential is just bull poop. And eating them in excess is going to be unhealthy in the long run.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Pasta is not fattening. Eating too much of it is. Tons of Italians eat pasta all the time and they are not fat. How do you explain that? They are not digging ditches either. SHeesh!
It's fattening. It's a complex carbohydrate for starters, but not all complex carbohydrates are alike. It's the worst. I can gain 5 pounds overnight from one spaghetti dinner or one round of pizza. But I can pig out on boiled potatoes and actually lose weight. Both are complex carbohydrates.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
It's fattening. It's a complex carbohydrate for starters, but not all complex carbohydrates are alike. It's the worst. I can gain 5 pounds overnight from one spaghetti dinner or one round of pizza. But I can pig out on boiled potatoes and actually lose weight. Both are complex carbohydrates.
Wow, no offense but you have no idea what you are talking about. No one can gain 5 pounds in a 24 hour period. It takes 3500 calories to gain 1 pound, that is excess calories so you need to subtract your resting metabolic rate.

Also, please look up the definition of a complex carb. Until then please refrain commuting on something you know so little about.

Also complex carbs, which pasta is not, is no more fattening than a simple carb.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Great post. I agree with almost all of it except the raw food thing, but that is splitting hairs. Humans do just fine without animal proteins. The demonization of carbs and whole grains comes from brilliant marketers of books to sell the desperate overweight people.
I am not knocking anyone who eats animal proteins, I eat them occasionally. But to say they are essential is just bull poop. And eating them in excess is going to be unhealthy in the long run.
I would say many many people benefit from a high protein and low carbohydrate diet. The USDA and their alleged "food plate" is doing a large percentage of the population an extreme disservice by recommending 6-10 servings of grains a day, including modern wheat. In fact, I was overweight years ago when I was consuming wheat, and it was not high at all in any processed foods. I think I function better than most people in the US given the current obesity and overweight percentages taken as a whole, but I haven't gained any weight in over eight years- I've lost weight on a modified paleo diet. It takes quite a bit of discipline to really read labels of every single thing you purchase as well.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 AM

676 posts, read 528,019 times
The research on longevity and health points to Mediterranean and Okinawan diets. These are mostly plant based and calorie restricted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness