Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

I eat low carb and try not to eat high fat. Why, because fat kills and clogs arteries. Remember the inventor of the Atkins Diet, he died of a heart attack. By replacing carbs with fat, you're still putting gunk in your body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Grains are not the enemy but all that protein is. Whole grains have lots of fiber and nutrients and shouldn't be passed by over a diet fad.
Homo sapiens have been around for 200,000 years during which time we ate mainly vegetables, meats, and fruits when in season.

On the other hand, grains as any significant part of the human diet have only been a staple for 2,000 to 10,000 years (1%-5% of our existence) depending on your ancestry. In fact there are several human groups that did not have grains as part of their diet until the 20th century.

I am pretty sure that the whole grain diet is the fad.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 01-02-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 12:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Carb creep is a real thing! Some people control it by measuring, some people by cutting out certain foods altogether.

I'm not a food addict, but I can't eat brownies in moderation. One brownie and I'm face-down in the pan. I know abstinence sounds harsh and difficult, but for me, it's just easier if I don't take the first bite.
I too have this but with cookies.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:19 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

I know people who eat only meat all the time, sushi, steak, high quality meats. And they wonder why they are broke all the time. Some are thin and some aren't. Some of them say they are "allergic" to carbs.

And sure that's their business, but I don't care for them lecturing me about carbs when I want to enjoy a bowl of rice or a bread roll.

Gluten free diets can also be very expensive, as gluten free foods have a huge markup in price. I can't afford these types of foods and I specifically avoid buying anything with "gluten free" on the label because I know it's not going to be good value for money.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I eat low carb and try not to eat high fat. Why, because fat kills and clogs arteries. Remember the inventor of the Atkins Diet, he died of a heart attack.
I always heard that Dr. Atkins died from a slip and fall on ice. But I've also wondered if he really did have a stroke or heart attack.

One of my friends went on a very low carb diet, eating no fruit, veg or grains. And she became so constipated that within 2 weeks, she had ruptured a blood vessel in her rectum and had to go to the emergency room.

She wasn't actually on the Atkins diet because Dr. Atkins never said to completely cut out all fruit or veg. It's likely that if she had read the Atkins book first, she might have not run into this problem. Eating a few green apples here and there might have solved her constipation problem.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:22 PM

133 posts, read 162,582 times
Quote:
I eat low carb and try not to eat high fat. Why, because fat kills and clogs arteries.
That is not true. "Fat" doesn't clog arteries. There are many different types of fats.

Saturated Fat
Monounsatured Fat
Polyunsaturated Fat
Natural Trans-Fats like CLA found in grassfed beef and dairy, which is EXCELLENT
Artificial Trans-Fats that result from the hydrogenation process.

Avoid refined polyunsaturated fats and artificial trans-fats. The natural saturated and monounsaturated fats in beef, pork, lamb, etc. are very good for you. The natural balance of human fatty acids in our tissues is about 45-50% saturated fat, 45-50% monounsaturated fat and 5-10% polyunsaturated fat.

When the human body manufactures fats, it manufactures saturated fat and monounsaturated fat. It does NOT manufacture polyunsaturated fats because they are unstable at human body temperatures of 98.6 degrees F. Polyunsaturated fats are endogenous to seeds and cold water fish because they stay liquid at freezing temperatures and allow a seed to germinate in cold ground during early spring, and fish stay able-bodied and flexible in frozen ocean water. There is a reason why you ONLY find saturated fat in tropical plants like coconuts - the high heat would kill the plant if it were high in unsaturates.

Humans now have heart disease because we have replaced natural saturated animal fat with liquid, unsaturated vegetable fats. That is the biggest contributor to heart disease - canola, corn, soy, cottonseed, sunflower, safflower and other seed oils. Stick to animal fats like lard and tallow, good old fashioned butter, coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil.

Quote:
Remember the inventor of the Atkins Diet, he died of a heart attack. By replacing carbs with fat, you're still putting gunk in your body.
This is dangerous advice, and correlation does not equal causation. You have to get your energy from somewhere, and you cannot eat a low fat and low carb diet or you will have very low energy and feel terrible. You have to get your fats and carbs from healthy sources - meats, dairy, tubers, roots and fruits. Not grains and vegetable oils like most Americans do.

This is actually a fairly good article.

https://authoritynutrition.com/11-gr...h-modern-diet/

And this is the main cause of our health woes. Omega 6 polyunsaturated fat is a bad thing for humans. You also couldn't pay me to take a fish oil supplement - it is ALL rancid, spoiled filth. It's like taking pills full of paint thinner. When you remove the oils from the host fish or seed/nut, they start going bad almost instantly upon contact with air and light.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Homo sapiens have been around for 200,000 years during which time we ate mainly vegetables, meats, and fruits when in season.

On the other hand, grains as any significant part of the human diet have only been a staple for 2,000 to 10,000 years (2.5%-5% of our existence) depending on your ancestry. In fact there are several human groups that did not have grains as part of their diet until the 20th century.

I am pretty sure that the whole grain diet is the fad.
Do some actual research instead of soundbites from authors trying to sell books.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Do some actual research instead of soundbites from authors trying to sell books.
Actually I studied Human evolutionary ecology and physical anthropology as well as labs in osteology and osteopathology at the University of New Mexico under Prof. Eric Trinkaus, Prof. Laurence Strauss, and others. This was before the whole 'paleodiet' fad started.

Note that I am not saying that grains can not be a part of a healthy human diet, simply that they are a very, very recent addition in any significant quantity, much less the basis of, a 'normal' human diet as defined by what humans had access to over the vast majority of the existence of our modern species.

I myself enjoy many grain based foods. I bake my own bread for Pete's sake and you don't want to know how many cookies I ate over the last two weeks.

Note also that I did not make any comment on fiber in my response to your previous post. While the dietetic neccesity of a given amount of fiber is coming under some scrutiny in recent studies, It is a simple fact that our ancestors consumed far more fiber per quantity of plant food than we get from modern plant foods which have largely been selected for minimal fiber, and even that is often processed out.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 01-02-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
I eat low carb and try not to eat high fat. Why, because fat kills and clogs arteries. Remember the inventor of the Atkins Diet, he died of a heart attack. By replacing carbs with fat, you're still putting gunk in your body.
Atkins died from a head injury after he fell on ice.

Quote:
I understand that, but carbs are not the enemy either. Baked goods are horrible, but whole grains are essential for health, just saying.
I eat seeds and nuts and some baked items made from seeds and nuts and their flours. Almonds, almond flour, walnuts, chia seeds, flax meal and flax seeds, coconut flour. I never eat wheat or rice and I don't miss it.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:57 PM

538 posts, read 732,005 times
Quote:
Low carb is good for short term weight loss but studies are now finding it is not a good plan to stay on for the long run and could have serious side effects. It is a not a natural way to eat and will mess with one's metabolism, kidneys, liver, heart, etc... Not to mention what all this meat consumption is doing to the planet. Do some research, it is truly the number #1 killer of the planet.
There is this perpetuating myth that we seem to not have enough protein in our diets yet no one has ever been diagnosed with such a thing. There are plenty of proteins to be had in a plant based diet. Plus fiber which is so important for our health. Now everyone's different and one should fine one's own path in healthy living, but do some research before you dive into something without all the facts.
"For most of human history, browsers and grazers haven't been in competition with humans. They ate what we couldn't eat--cellulose--and turned it into what we could--protein and fat."

"The truth is that agriculture is the most destructive thing humans have done to the planet, and more of the same won't save us. The truth is that agriculture requires the wholesale destruction of entire ecosystems."

"I'm asking about everything that died in the process, everything that was killed to get that food onto your plate. That's the more radical question, and it's the only question that will produce the truth. How many rivers were dammed and drained, how many prairies plowed and forests pulled down, how much topsoil turned to dust and blown into ghosts?"

"The reality is that agriculture has created a net loss for human rights and culture: slavery, imperialism, militarism, class divisions, chronic hunger, and disease."

"Agriculture has also been devastating to the other creatures with whom we share the earth, and ultimately to the life support systems of the planet itself."

"Carnivores cannot survive on cellulose. ... Ruminants, on the other hand, have evolved to eat grass. They have a rumen ... first in a series of multiple stomachs that acts as a fermentative vat. What's actually happening inside a cow or a wildebeest is that bacteria eat the grass, and the animals eat the bacteria.

Lions and hyenas and humans don't have a ruminant's digestive system. Literally from our teeth to our rectums we are designed for meat. We have no mechanism to digest cellulose."

These are all quotes taken from Lierre Keith's most excellent book, "The Vegetarian Myth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness