Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 02:25 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

Approaching this in a practical sense. If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?

- HS
I've never eaten many simple carbohydrates, but when I eliminated all foods containing grains, that made a big difference in my weight and I gained energy and strength, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 04:03 AM

465 posts, read 418,323 times
My diet was doctor directed. I hover around 100 grams of carbs a day.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Sometimes I'll occasionally do a 3 day "cleanse" before a special event like a wedding or party... where I'll eat nothing but protein and veggies. But I NEVER go longer than that... and that is on the advice of my doctor. Why? Because (and this is straight from her)... if you go too long without carbs your body can go into ketosis. Causing kidney stones and other unpleasant health issues.

If you do go on a diet, at least get SOME good carbs in, in small amounts. And you can also buy ketosis strips btw, which you test in your urine stream. You can get them over the counter at your local health food store. I'd suggest them to anyone who is going really low on the carbs... just to watch out for your own health if you do take your diet to an extreme. You don't want to damage your organs by taking things too far, it's just not worth it.
I have been in ketosis for a very long time. My body is fat adapted, meaning I run on ketone bodies, not glycogen (glucose). Being in ketosis has lots of benefits - no energy crash, mental clarity, clear skin. Those ketosis sticks you speak of are for diabetics to test whether they are in ketoacidosis, which is a very different thing than ketosis. Very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They don't. That's why they lost weight.

Very unhealthy to cut out carbs. You're limited to basically a 100% meat and fats diet (vegetable oils, butter -- no nuts, nuts have lots of carbs). A few things are near zero or low (eggs, diary products, some vegetables).
So much misinformation....I have been in ketosis for a very long time, since I eat a maximum of 20 g of net carbs per day. I also eat nuts and seeds and green veggies and avocados - so good! Today's lunch will be an avocado with salt and pepper and an ounce of almonds. It hardly "breaks the bank".

Old 01-03-2017, 07:42 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
So much misinformation....I have been in ketosis for a very long time, since I eat a maximum of 20 g of net carbs per day. I also eat nuts and seeds and green veggies and avocados - so good! Today's lunch will be an avocado with salt and pepper and an ounce of almonds. It hardly "breaks the bank".
I think I'd rather be fat than eat like that.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Me too.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Yes, and your kidneys, heart and liver will thank you in the long run.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
It's not that carbs are the devil - flour and sugar are. And really, anything is fine in moderation, but flour and sugar are rather addictive - have a little and you almost always want more.

I struggle with this A LOT. But when I do manage to cut out bread and desserts, the pounds melt off.

Replace pasta with veggie noodles from a spiralizer. Don't have a sandwich - have a reasonable salad with no croutons. Etc.

Meats and veggies have a lot of protein and fiber - both are very filling.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:59 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's not that carbs are the devil - flour and sugar are. And really, anything is fine in moderation, but flour and sugar are rather addictive - have a little and you almost always want more.

I struggle with this A LOT. But when I do manage to cut out bread and desserts, the pounds melt off.

Replace pasta with veggie noodles from a spiralizer. Don't have a sandwich - have a reasonable salad with no croutons. Etc.

Meats and veggies have a lot of protein and fiber - both are very filling.
Meat has no fiber. Veggies have a lot of fiber but beans have the most and grains also have a lot. I agree on baked goods are not good unless they are minimally processed with actual whole grains.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:01 AM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
Only medical use for a keto diet is to starve the brain of glucose to lower the seizure threshold for epileptics to make their medication more effective (stright from the mouth of two clinical RD's and a Neurosurgeon)...............and they are only meant for short term use. It is the latest "cool" diet. Interestingly enough, the healthiest and longest living populations eat a large percentage of carbs in their diet. And before anyone wants to argue about carbs being fattening. De novo lipogenesis is rare in humans and overfeeding studies show fat is what gets stored immediately. Truth of the matter is it comes down to calories when it come to losing weight. You cannot create energy out of nothing and you cannot make ingested energy just disappear, if you could do these things then you would either be a) perpetual energy machine or b) a black hole.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Meat has no fiber. Veggies have a lot of fiber but beans have the most and grains also have a lot. I agree on baked goods are not good unless they are minimally processed with actual whole grains.
Please go back and read what I wrote. I did not say that meat had fiber. I said that meat and veggies have protein and fiber, and TOGETHER, they certainly do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness