Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
But aerobic threshold is defined as the point when you go from aerobic to anaerobic. Typically this is labeled as zone 5 in a 5 zone HR chart.

Most training nowadays has gone to lactate threshold HR (or power). LTHR is the point where you can't deal with all the lactic acid you build up. You can excercise at your LTHR for 1 hour. Mine is about 172 bpm and I'm a whole lot older than 8.
Friel labels this as the break point between zone 3 and zone 4.
Honestly, I'm not familiar with the terminology you are using, so I don't know what all that means. However, I do know that training in glycolysis is equivalent to training in a state of acidosis. If you believe acidosis should be limited, than your training protocol should attempt to minimize glycolysis.

Competition optimization is another deal all together. It is something that is unsustainable to a significant population percentage for a great duration in time. Studies have shown that glycoltic training prior to competition is beneficial in overall conditioning, which is what Ralph Kirk seemed to allude to in his comment.

I agree with him completely if this is the case. To optimize performance, you have to familiarize yourself with pain. Boxers have training camps for that reason; however, training for competition long term is typically unsustainable unless of course you're a statistical outlier.

From my understanding, which could very well be flawed, the Maffetone method simply suggests that the majority of your training should be accomplished below your anaerobic threshold, as studies suggests that performance consistently improves with this "easy endurance" type of training protocol. This way, you limit acidosis and all of the potential maladies such as inflammation, typically associated with this type of training, while still making significant improvements, while avoiding injuries associated with over training.

Nobody has to further investigate this method. I brought up because I have dealt with injuries associated with overtraining and for me it was a tough thing to deal with, so I make it my mission to ensure that people have the information out there that could potentially keep them from experiencing the things that I had to go through.

That's all. I just want to help people out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
Squats? No, not if done correctly, but hardly anyone does them correctly. Proper squats involve little knee motion.

Running? Absolutely. Running is terrible for your body. Walking and sprinting, on the other hand, is fantastic. If you're into endurance training, cycling and swimming are much safer for joint health for sure.
Uh, what? Please define "little knee motion".

Old 01-05-2017, 08:49 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I've never had any knee issues doing squats. Squats are harder on my lower back than my knees. Obviously, if you have knee or back issues you want to stay away from squats.
Squats are difficult once you get knee issues but should not damage your knees if you do them correctly and don't attempt to lift beyond your ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
A lot of normal people have used his protocol to great success, plus Maffetone's Big Book of Endurance Training is considered to be foundational for elite endurance athletes. The purpose is to build an aerobic base. From what I understand, it doesn't concern any other energy system training outside of aerobic.

I know what you are referring to, and research suggests that alternating between your alactic energy system and your aerobic system is more ideal than consistently pushing yourself beyond the comfort zone. Obviously, there is still more research needed to be conducted, but a biochemical analysis has proven that training in consistent glycolysis is like bathing in acid as far as your internal system is concerned.

Honestly, whatever protocol you follow depends on your objective. Personally, I don't train like an endurance athlete, so it's not in my best interest to train an aerobic base. The program has proven consistently to work quite well for endurance athletes, substantially improving their times, so clearly what you've read is not accurate. However, if you feel as if the only way you can improve is through extreme acidosis, then continue training the way you have. If it ain't broke, why fix it, right?

But for those who may not be statistical outliers, this is an alternative approach to endurance training, utilized by many elite athletes (however irrelevant) to improve their times and avoid overtraining. Like I said it another post though, it's 2017. Maffetone has been working on his system for what, 40 years or so and utilized by elite endurance trainers throughout the world? It's quite astonishing how you were able to prove him wrong in 15 minutes. You must be a super genius.
I admit I never heard of Phil Maffetone but found his books on Amazon. His books appear to be popular and have good reviews. The book you mentioned is actually #99 on Amazon's Top 100 https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...v_b_3_266218#5 books.

The top running authors over the past 25-30 years would include Jack Daniels, Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, and Amby Burfoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Professional athletes like Kobe Bryant have used forms of prolotherapy in the past. While I do not have the statistics on this, I would assume that given Kobe Bryant's revenue generating potential or "Star Power," it is likely that he would only receive the best resources, in order to protect the competitive advantage.

Kobe Bryant also had cartilage damage in his knees, so don't you find it a bit peculiar that perhaps the best basketball player of his generation opted to get "alternative treatment" on his knee, rather than surgery?

Are you sure you have acquired enough research to determine that it would not work after a "quick look?"

It's your knee. Personally, I wouldn't get surgery. In a similar situation, I didn't and instead opted for Prolotherapy with amazing results.

At the minimum, I would do more than a "quick look," when it's a proven alternative to surgery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3937178/

Like I said though, it's your knee. I gain no profit either way.
I've had prolotherapy done on my knees. It may have actually helped my knee. After I got the first treatment the other knee started hurting and I had two treatments on it. There has been FDA approval for a treatment that that uses tissue engineering to grow cells using healthy cartilage tissue from the patient’s own knee. I'm hoping this may lead to something to allow me to continue running and playing basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Any act or non-act can cause any reaction to happen.
Athletes can blow out knees regardless if they are lean, barrel chested or fat (like some NFL linemen)
Someone who runs or lift weights can injure themselves if they do it wrong or don't stop when needed.
Someone who doesn't run or lift weights may put too much weight onto themselves.
I had a knee issue a few months back related to my 9-5 job for several weeks. The knee was sore and I am sure I had a bone bruise. That was all that came from it.
I totally agree. Many of the joint problems that people have attributed to overuse are actually due to injuries. Any you don't have to be on a football field or basketball court to incur these types of injuries.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:17 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I've had prolotherapy done on my knees. It may have actually helped my knee. After I got the first treatment the other knee started hurting and I had two treatments on it. There has been FDA approval for a treatment that that uses tissue engineering to grow cells using healthy cartilage tissue from the patient’s own knee. I'm hoping this may lead to something to allow me to continue running and playing basketball.

I totally agree. Many of the joint problems that people have attributed to overuse are actually due to injuries. Any you don't have to be on a football field or basketball court to incur these types of injuries.
I'm happy that you've found success with prolotherapy. Recent research suggests that the nerves play an integral part in the degeneration of the joint. If the doctor you went to did not hit the surrounding nerves, you may want to consider looking into this because it could fully heal your knee.

I hypothesize that since degeneration is a nervous system response and the restriction of MTor releases brain derived neurotropic factor, that the only other mechanism outside of PIT and prolotherapy to heal joints, at least with current technology, is through non-caloric or water fasting. Fasting results in autophagy and in some cases, autolysis. Autophagy breaks down and recycles cells in your body, and autolysis actually destroys things completely.

This is how you can expedite the healing process in your body. If I were you, I would look into this, so you can restore your body to full health. Granted, there are always cases where I do not have a solution, so I must look to a higher power. I hope that your case is something that can be healed, so you can get back into form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness