Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,322,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzmatik View Post
My plan is ....................
Quote:
I will be .................................................. ...
Quote:
Will this help me slim down and gain some muscle tone?
When exactly are you going to get started? How did you come up with your "plan" and what you "will be" doing? What are you basing your plan on? What is the extent/experience of your knowledge of exercise and nutrition?

"Muscle tone" (i.e. visible definition of the muscles) will come with intense resistance training (and proper nutrition) OR with intense bodyweight training (and proper nutrition). Seems your "Plan" and what you "will be" doing severely lacks in either of these departments so its safe to say that you will NOT be achieving your goals in this area.

As far as the cardio goes, you can run to the moon and back but if your nutritional intake isnt good, then you will not see very many results in this area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,195,918 times
Hopefully you have a TV to watch! That's a lot of treadmilling. Why not do some power walking along with the jogging/running? It's really not how fast you go, it's the length of time you spend.

So that's almost a marathon's worth of running/day. Hopefully you won't burn-out. It's really a good idea to build up. I admire your desire to go 3x/day. If you set your goals you should stick to them but don't be too hard on yourself.

How much do you want to lose? Even a half hour a day is good. They say getting your cardio up for 30 minutes is a really effective thing. It will help speed up your metabolism, too.

And of course, the fitter you are the better your muscle tone will be. So yes, you will tone up. If you want to build muscle then that's a different thing but you seem to be on the right track!

Old 01-04-2017, 03:43 PM

16,455 posts, read 19,476,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I only used dumb bells and I've gained plenty of muscle.
And I like strawberries.
(i.e. your post was about as helpful)

Old 01-04-2017, 04:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,909,169 times
Really? Do you honestly have 3+ hours a day to work out? Add in those weights and you are talking 25 hours a week. Minimum.

I don't know you at all but here is the first thoughts that came in to my head. And if I am totally wrong, I apologize. Just the date says a lot. You posted at the beginning of January. Another New Year's Resolution. OK, you want what you want and you want it now is the next thing I take away from your post. Nothing wrong with that but you are most likely sabotaging yourself right out of the gate and making sure you won't ever even come close.

NO ONE just wakes up one day and starts running 3 hours a day and doing weights. Attempting this will lead to injuries that will force you to abandon your program completely. This is called self sabotage. You have to start where you have to start. And for 99% of us it's not doable to run 3 hours a day and do weights. And if you do some research, you will learn most of the experts agree that the body needs time in between workouts to rebuild. That's why they have days when they do cardio, legs, arms, core, etc. They don't do everything every day. And even seasoned marathon runners seldom run 3 hours a day unless they are training for a race that's coming up soon. Look up couch to 5K. It's a sensible plan anyone can use to work up to distance running.

Here's the real deal. You will probably fight your weight for the rest of your life. What you decide to do to get it under control and lose or maintain has to something you can live with. For the rest of your life. Not just today or until you lose X pounds. It's a marathon, not a sprint to the finish line. Doing anything else is just a waste of your time. As soon as you lose X pounds and stop punishing yourself, the weight will come right back plus a few pounds you didn't have before. Lather, rinse, and repeat. And as you age, it will get harder and harder to drop the weight.

I did this for decades. Every January I had some whack plan to punish myself until I lost the weight. It never mattered if I lost or not because I would gain it back as soon as the prison sentence ended. I spent decades in the yoyo cycle. I used to be morbidly obese and now I'm not. But I am old now and I figured this stuff out way to late. I posted this because you sounded just like me. Maybe I can help you to avoid the mistakes I made!

Old 01-04-2017, 06:27 PM

20 posts, read 26,883 times
How about you try out 30 minutes running on a treadmill first.....

Can you run outside for 30-60 minutes 3 times a day? No?

Of course you'll loose weight if you start running. But unless you're an Olympic level athlete, what you are proposing is not going to happen. You're talking about ~15 miles PER DAY.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,569,721 times
If you dog is overweight, you are not getting enough exercise. Try walking in combination with dieting.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,445,278 times
Yes, it will. I don't think it is necessary to go on the treadmill 3 times a day. Sound like overkill.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:53 PM

1,524 posts, read 3,889,070 times
Get your diet under control, start losing some weight, start WALKING and doing some incline work on the treadmill. But exercise to improve your general health. Don't do it to specifically lose weight. You can only lose weight by eating less than you burn. People tend to way overestimate what they burn and way underestimate what they eat (usually eating something terrible caloriewise to "reward" themselves for such a good workout...) and then throw their hands up in the air about how they don't get why they aren't losing weight. Seriously, do not exercise because you think it will make you lose oodles of weight alone and diet being only incidental. Not how it works.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:36 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,860,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
It won't help you gain muscle.
I don't know why this myth persists. Cardio does indeed helps you gain muscle mass. Why? Because cardio exercise gets your heart rate up and burns fat and calories. By burning the fat and calories that strength training alone doesn't, it increases the efficacy of your strength training, making those exercises more effective. Not only that, running can give you crazy muscular legs as long as you run shorter distances and vary the incline. Resistance on the treadmill builds your quads, glutes, abs, and hamstrings.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 AM

4,840 posts, read 3,605,837 times
Just remember you cannot outrun a bad diet.

I'm living proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness